Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stoke, Southampton, Swansea & Huddersfield. Remaining Fixtures.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly. Only two of the four teams below us have to go on any sort of run - the other two teams merely have to win one match. You can't explain that to some people though - even though we now have a very good chance of staying up, mathematically we are not there yet.
Us getting relegated from where we are now is indeed unlikely - but until there are three teams that can't catch us, it could still happen; things do sometimes happen in football that defy all odds - and all those celebrating now could end up looking as daft as Reading fans on the last day of the 2013-2014 season.........
I wonder if they're the same people who celebrated us winning the Championship last year?
'Only' two of the teams below us!

Ain't. Gonna. Happen.

That point at Burnley finally tipped it for me, I harboured a bit of doubt up until then. And no I didn't celebrate winning the championship last year. I said on another thread that it's a totally different dynamic at the top where you HAVE to keep winning to maintain your position, the same thing doesn't apply at the bottom. A five point gap at the top of the table with three games to go is nothing. At the bottom it's a chasm.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Still means they've got to win a third of their remaining fixtures, meaning they've got to show something better than they've managed so far. I'm quite expecting one or two of them to do it, meaning that I am expecting our finishing position to be lower than we are currently, but we will be safe.
We all expect we'll be safe, we're 66-1 to go down. But let's not exaggerate, they do not need to hit West Brom form.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
tenor.gif

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We all expect we'll be safe, we're 66-1 to go down. But let's not exaggerate, they do not need to hit West Brom form.

Yes, rather pedantically you took me a bit too literally! I should have said "start winning some games which no one apart from West Brom have managed recently". But 'West Brom form' was a bit snappier.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, rather pedantically you took me a bit too literally!
How very unlike me.
I should have said "start winning some games which no one apart from West Brom have managed recently".
But they don't need to win 'some games' do they, they just need to win 1! FFS :rolleyes:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, only half them have to win one game. (My turn to be pedantic!)
No, you're misreading the post. I'm not saying Swansea can lose all but one, I'm saying they don't need to win two, the number that they actually have to win in only one. They don't need West Brom form.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you feel a bit happier having read the above GT? ...I was still a bit nervous but reading that long list of assumptions and precise results needed to topple us, it all feels very unlikely indeed and I now feel a lot more confident of staying up...

Where have I said I'm unhappy? I'm very pleased with what we've achieved so far this season, and I don't think there's much chance of getting relegated now. But actually safe we are not. 'Nearly safe', 'almost safe', 'probably safe' - I'm fine with anybody saying that - I'd agree with them! Just very much not a fan of premature celebration - it can come back and bite you, and any mockery received as a result is thoroughly deserved!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I have to admit that I'd enjoy seeing any of Swansea, Huddersfield and Stains going down. Swansea probably most because Carvalhal was being praised as such a miracle-working genius when they got two streaky wins against Liverpool and Arsenal and since then he's been revealed as the same bloke who needed four injuries and a terrible ref to get the MASSIVE past us in the play-offs.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, you're misreading the post. I'm not saying Swansea can lose all but one, I'm saying they don't need to win two, the number that they actually have to win in only one. They don't need West Brom form.

I think you're misreading mine! Try it again.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have to admit that I'd enjoy seeing any of Swansea, Huddersfield and Stains going down. Swansea probably most because Carvalhal was being praised as such a miracle-working genius when they got two streaky wins against Liverpool and Arsenal and since then he's been revealed as the same bloke who needed four injuries and a terrible ref to get the MASSIVE past us in the play-offs.

The only team I can honestly say I'd enjoying going down apart from Palace, is West Ham...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm no fan of Carvalhal, but:
-- I want Saints to go down, as they're the most likely to stay up next season
-- if Swansea stay up and Carvalhal is given money to re-build them over the summer, he'll make an even big a mess of them

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

At the peak of Swansea’s revival when they were winning and drawing every game for fun including Arsenal, a 5Live show asked Lawro if Swansea could be excluded fron the relegation mix.

He emphatically said that Swansea would be part of the mix, because they had been at the bottom prior to that for very good reasons.

He for one didn’t fall for the Carvahal messiah hype. The rest of the media saw Swansea as an Everton, ascending naturally with esse.

Lawro’s often laughed at, but fair do’s to the bloke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here