Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Will you #DeleteFacebook?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I reckon there's more data grabbing going on from here than facebook

Sure is. I was looking at another site last night when an Amazon link highlighting Dualit toasters popped up.

It's a bit pointless deleting Facebook when your smartphone is collecting data about where you are, what you're doing blah blah........So no.

I've just started getting alerts from my smartphone but they're a bit haphazard. It obviously knows I use buses and like football but I keep getting alerts saying 'last bus leaves in 5 minutes' while I'm sitting at home. Even if I were out, it doesn't say where last bus is leaving from. I also get football alerts but they're totally random - I've got a Leeds and Ipswich score so far (and Brighton v Swansea while I was at the game).

I'm happy with FB. I don't do those idiot quizzes, I never allow FB to access my data and I don't use my FB account to sign up for anything. I have pretty tight security settings too.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
While I see Facebook can be annoying, I never understand how people say they are happier since deleting it.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Not quite sure exactly what info has been taken.My only personal info on there is my name and my town.The other bits I haven't filled in.If someone within the facebook organisation can find out what website's I go onto then that would help them.Not sure if they can.It's all a bit vague.I don't use my account that much and won't be deleting.Our details are stolen from all angles left right and centre.If we are going after Facebook then the rest must follow.

Even here our details can be taken and used.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I did consider it, but it would be like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. All this can do is make Facebook more secure, and my feed is pretty much locked down as much as it can be now.

What we really need to worry about is the harvesting of your personal data off wi-fi hotspots like Virgin Media, The Cloud, and BT Wi-FI from your phone, tablets or pc's.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's a bit pointless deleting Facebook when your smartphone is collecting data about where you are, what you're doing blah blah........So no.

Turned off or deleted everything I can that collects data on my phone. Only real data being collected is cell tower records.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I reckon there's more data grabbing going on from here than facebook , i fancied a pizza last night whilst reading about that poor rhino and before i could refresh the page Bozza had stuck up a dominos ad .

Spooky, isn't it. I was musing about 1970s French film noir last night and up popped an ad for Fanny Ardant's memoires. That Bozza!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What we really need to worry about is the harvesting of your personal data off wi-fi hotspots like Virgin Media, The Cloud, and BT Wi-FI from your phone, tablets or pc's.

why are you giving out your personal data on those services?

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
You can download a copy of what data they have about you from the Settings\General Account Settings page.

I'm pretty clued up about PCs etc (I work in IT) but I was still surprised, particularly at the number of people (and their phone numbers/e-mail addresses etc.) that Facebook is "remembering".

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Nope. It all depend on how you use it. For me it's a fun way to keep up with friends. Pretty sure anyone on the net who wants my data will already have it, that horse has well and truly bolted.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
While I see Facebook can be annoying, I never understand how people say they are happier since deleting it.
Presumably from issues other than data grabbing.

For example, on Facebook people only present themselves as they want the world to see them. If you are feeling depressed, the last thing you want to read is about your wealthiest friends going on their 5th holiday of the year, or doing coupley/family things that you might whistfully not have in your own life. I'm not in that position myself, but have been.

On balance I suppose FB is worth having, primarily as a tool for not losing touch with people you've known down the years, but if it was banned overnight I'd be perfectly happy with that. I never post anymore. Most of my immediate and current friends and family know how I'm doing anyway and as for long lost friends, well they have my contact details if they want to know more.

D

Deleted member 22389

You can download a copy of what data they have about you from the Settings\General Account Settings page.

I'm pretty clued up about PCs etc (I work in IT) but I was still surprised, particularly at the number of people (and their phone numbers/e-mail addresses etc.) that Facebook is "remembering".

Always been sceptical about Facebook so never posted my life on there. Wife has it and if I'm honest it's been very helpful on a few occasions. End of the day even without Facebook we all have tons of data stashed away on databases. If Facebook doesn't get you, Google will.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Another here who binned it a couple of years ago. It was interesteing catching up with old friends a decade ago but attention seeking and the ‘you didn’t like my photo’ comments were just too much. Glad I did it.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I enjoy FB but hate politics on it. I like it when friends post pictures of places they are visiting etc.. I often see pictures of friends from a variety of 'other' football teams enjoying an afternoon out at the Amex thus allowing me to take the piss out of them

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Another here who binned it a couple of years ago. It was interesteing catching up with old friends a decade ago but attention seeking and the ‘you didn’t like my photo’ comments were just too much. Glad I did it.

Strange friends.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think Facebook for over 40s is a different ball game, they act worse than teenagers, with the attention grabbing and showing off. Thanks for the like hun x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here