Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Post Film Discussion Star Wars TLJ WARNING don’t view will contain spoilers

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This well thought out video sums up my feels on TLJ. I urge even those who dislike the film to give it a watch.

There's some excellent points made in that clip not least the comment about leaving the past behind being directed also at the audience. Also, the remark about the film being made by movie writers rather than fan fiction authors.

I'm going to have a chat with my teenage sons about why they love Star Wars and what they think of the recent Disney films. I have a theory that a lot of the most vociferous criticism is from the older fans who, I reckon, feel very protective about something that was a huge part of them growing up. I wonder if younger fans who weren't around for the originals aren't so precious, if that's the right word, about which direction the film should take and character development.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It's either bots (which is denied by RT) or Alt-Right fans, apparently.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/new...tomatoes-user-ratings-bots-skewed-1202647473/

A load of fake news. What I am picking up is that the SW fanbois really hated it and they usually go multiple times.

I dont need a majority to like or hate a movie to validate my own opinion, I also think given the films political edge that certain factions are playing it up or down

Anyway have a meme, they are quite good.
26047469_766471236887212_4009414167062065193_n.jpg

theylive.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I watched it on the Disney Cruise Line, and they really made a big thing of it, naturally. As a massive SW fan I had really been looking forward to seeing it on-board for a long time, but left the theatre feeling really disappointed with certain bits tbh. Most of the things being what people have mentioned on here already. I dont think it helped either that the (majority) American audience were "whoopin' & a hollerin" at every little thing that happened throughout....did my head in!
We actually got to know Warwick Davis and his family quite well over the 5 days as they were on the cruise too, but he didn't go & watch the film - & I didn't think to ask him what he thought of the final cut either! Doh.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Not Episode VIII stuff but the Han Solo movie Lego sets have leaked, giving a good idea of some things that will be in the film.

One familiar ship, two new speeders, one familiar ship but with a few alterations and a 'battle pack' set with some antagonist forces.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just been to see it. Having heard all the criticism of it, I was not expecting much.

I thought it was fantastic. Much better than TFA and I cannot wait to see it again or indeed see where the saga goes in episode 9. A truly great, entertaining film.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It would be if you could trust the Rotten Tomatoes audience figures, but as there is evidence of a bot attack on the site I'd ignore it and use other scoring sites which don't allow multiple identities.

user ratings 169,995 The last Jedi
User Ratings: 225,603 The force awakens
User Ratings: 33,679,157 Revenge of the sith

Im not seeing a flood of bot votes on RT, also opinion seems pretty even on here as well.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I went to see the film for a second time this weekend and found it much better to watch 2nd time around. On the second viewing I was able to concentrate on the dialogue and small details. I realised I missed loads of good stuff from the first viewing. If people were disappointed first time then maybe consider giving it another go at the cinema.

First viewing was 5/10

Second viewing 8/10.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I went to see the film for a second time this weekend and found it much better to watch 2nd time around. On the second viewing I was able to concentrate on the dialogue and small details. I realised I missed loads of good stuff from the first viewing. If people were disappointed first time then maybe consider giving it another go at the cinema.

First viewing was 5/10

Second viewing 8/10.

I thought it was very good. I gave it 86 out of 100 and got 8th best film of 2017. Rotten Tomatoes at 50% is suspicious to me, IMDB, a far more reliable guide has it at a solid 7.6 out of 10

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I thought it was very good. I gave it 86 out of 100 and got 8th best film of 2017. Rotten Tomatoes at 50% is suspicious to me, IMDB, a far more reliable guide has it at a solid 7.6 out of 10

IMDB is a good guide for sussing a decent film.

Although it is let down currently by the current scores of 6.8 and 7.3 for Con Air and Face/Off respectively. They should both be at least 9.7.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Watched it for the second time yesterday, enjoyed it first time, loved it even more on second viewing.

I think like Empire, time will be kind to this film and will be appreciated as it ages and when it fits into the middle of the finished trilogy.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

49% now and similar to most other fan vote sites.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
49% now and similar to most other fan vote sites.

IMDB is the movie goers bible and finds a good reflection of a film due to the sheer volume of votes recorded so it is hard to hijack. A Dogs Purpose was hacked with negative votes by anti animal abuse people which turned out to be lies. It has now recovered to 6.9, it should be 8.2 for me

Still it is not perfect, it has ET at 7.9 and Close Encounters at 7.7 and neither in the top 250 films of all time which is of course an absolute joke

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
IMDB is the movie goers bible and finds a good reflection of a film due to the sheer volume of votes recorded so it is hard to hijack. A Dogs Purpose was hacked with negative votes by anti animal abuse people which turned out to be lies. It has now recovered to 6.9, it should be 8.2 for me

Still it is not perfect, it has ET at 7.9 and Close Encounters at 7.7 and neither in the top 250 films of all time which is of course an absolute joke

Depends on how you measure top, bums on seats or money grossed etc both those films you mentioned I have seen in a top 20 list ET and CE, both imo were good films.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Depends on how you measure top, bums on seats or money grossed etc both those films you mentioned I have seen in a top 20 list ET and CE, both imo were good films.

It is viewers ratings not box office

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Empire Strikes Back is the best. Seems to be the view overall as well but The Last Jedi for me is certainly in the top 3 of the 9 films

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here