Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How agonising/heroic will Scotland's failure to reach the World Cup be?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to cheer on Scotland, but after years of shit from them, I've completely changed and now I rejoice at their ineptitude.

Thank you Scotland, thank you.

This, with tiny tartan bells on. Yet despite myself I always root for the other home nations (even Eire) even though they would all rather see England lose than win themselves.

I suppose that is the epitome of the lofty patronism of the over privilaged. I feel the urge to shake myself warmly by the hand :lolol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Can't agree with any of that. It's MILES better to be there, which is why Scotland fans are so anxious to end the 20 years of hurt. You get the build-up, and you get the party, and the experience. Just accept that England are very unlikely to do well, and enjoy it. It's a much more enjoyable tournament if your country is in it, even if you do go out early.

And Scotland have brought it on themselves in recent years. I think a lot of us used to cheer them on in these tournaments as kids. But they have got so chippy about England, we've had enough and are returning the favour.

Perfect summary of how I feel about it. Much much better to be there.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
A lot of them wanted independence. Them not having any chance of going to the world cup unlike the rest of the UK is one way of doing it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
.....and sent them homeward, tae think again.....

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I used to cheer on Scotland, but after years of shit from them, I've completely changed and now I rejoice at their ineptitude.

Thank you Scotland, thank you.

Why oh why would any Englishman want Scotland to do well?

Most have a scouse sized chip on their shoulders when it comes to the English and our football team.

F@@k em I say, I hope it's another 20 years before they qualify for a tournament.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They do have a better National Anthem than us though.

Their official National Anthem is the same as ours, God Save the Queen, the official National Anthem of the United Kingdom, of which they are a constituent part.

Whatever other jingoistic claptrap that they choose to caterwaul is, of course, their business, but an official National Anthem it is not. Anyway, let's be honest, Floo-er of Scotland is a dirge too.....................

........and it won't be going to the World Cup in Russia! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Why oh why would any Englishman want Scotland to do well?

Most have a scouse sized chip on their shoulders when it comes to the English and our football team.

F@@k em I say, I hope it's another 20 years before they qualify for a tournament.
I'm probably in the minority here, but when I look on my passport it states that I am British, and when I read and watch programs it states that the British helped to win 2 world wars. I was happy when the Scottish/British tennis player Andy Murray won Wimbledon, so unless Scotland, Wales, N ireland are playing England I hope they do well.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This, with tiny tartan bells on. Yet despite myself I always root for the other home nations (even Eire) even though they would all rather see England lose than win themselves.

I suppose that is the epitome of the lofty patronism of the over privilaged. I feel the urge to shake myself warmly by the hand :lolol:

I remember a generally very pleasant Scots lass at work who became rather snakey with me when I said that I always liked to see Scotland do well.

Patronism was mentioned. Damned if you do...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I'm probably in the minority here, but when I look on my passport it states that I am British, and when I read and watch programs it states that the British helped to win 2 world wars. I was happy when the Scottish/British tennis player Andy Murray won Wimbledon, so unless Scotland, Wales, N ireland are playing England I hope they do well.

I hope they all do well too, it's just a shame that you know Scotland won't!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't know if you're in a minority or not, but I suspect that many of us started out that way, but have changed our attitude over the years because of the Scots' collective addiction to ABE, often in a most vituperative form.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'll happy support anyone British at sport, but when it comes to football, the bitter sweaty jocks can do one.

Amusing that they NEVER make it now, while the likes of Saudi Arabia, Costa Rica and Iran do.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Don't know if you're in a minority or not, but I suspect that many of us started out that way, but have changed our attitude over the years because of the Scots' collective addiction to ABE, often in a most vituperative form.
[MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] has it right. However, after years of wishing ill on Scotland in the football, I find myself once again willing them on. I visited the Highlands for the second time in the summer after a twenty odd year break and received nothing but hospitable, kind and polite treatment from my Scottish hosts. I realise this may be different in the big cities but my feelings about the country are very positive. I love Scotland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here