Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there actually any truth in the Glenn Murray speculation?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Brighton fans are so deluded it's really quite scary!

Glenn Murray quite simply has scored goals everywhere he's gone, yes he might have his best years behind him (They were at Pal*ce) but I genuinely feel he's simply our best option at this moment in time, last season he proved that at Reading where he scored for fun. What would the anti Murray brigade have us do, go spunk 7-10 million on a random foreigner like Calleri?? Anyone who knows anything about football knows that is not how business savvy clubs are run & that thankfully is not how we are run either.....that kind of risk can be taken by premiership clubs, it always raises my eyebrow when you see the likes of QPR or Cardiff or Pompey do it when desperate to get out the division. Who knows how a foreigner will adapt, how quickly he will settle, how quickly he will get to know what not only English football is like but the cut and thrust of the championship with Saturday-Tuesday games in freezing cold temperatures.

Due to strikers being massively over priced the only other option we have is to chase the likes of Bamford, Ulloa or Gayle but again its a 6-7 million gamble and if it doesn't pay off then your chasing your arse financially. We all want promotion and it's fair to say were ready now but we have to be clever in how we do it.

Now we have a creative winger who can put a ball on a sixpence the best option is Glenn Murray, with balls in the box like AK can deliver, Murray will score and that's all we want and need is goals.
Keep hearing this phrase "strikers are overpriced"

This statement is untrue. Strikers are worth what the market deems and that is around the 10 million mark for a proven championship or above striker. In premier league terms 10 million is chump change.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
Is there any evidence to suggest Murray has anything against the Albion?

The guy is a true professional, the whole Palace thing is pathetic and we need to get over it.

Said like a true mercenary! We are NOT professional supporters and that's the whole point.
You seem to suggest football has nothing to do with emotion.... Well it does for many supporters - though understandably not much for professional footballers!
I have nothing against Murray; he's a good player, and as I said, I will cheer him on if he returns - but for me football support is built on emotion and fan loyalty - not simply soulless success, so his return with not be an undiluted pleasure.
That's all and I don't care one bit about the Palace aspect. Not a matter of getting over anything!
...and by the way, regarding the other players who went away and then returned, their stories were different because they stepped up a level, as they were entirely right to do!

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'd welcome him back.

He was brilliant in our promotion season (and much of the time before that). He did NOT want to leave.

He has nearly come back before - Hoskins' injury put paid to a swap deal. Then he went on a rich vein of form at a higher level...

He still lives in Brighton.

People remember him for not acknowledging the fans...once. People castigate him for going to Palace, when he should never have been allowed to leave, and would have preferred to stay. Unfair. He's just a bloke, from the North, who plays football, and has done so, rather well, for us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sometimes it's amusing to see what posters focus on. When I read this thread it seems to me to go like this:

I'd love murray to come back
great signing
love it
brilliant
Should never have let him go
guaranteed goals
palace scum.
love it
brilliant
can't wait
much better than some south american who might not work
just what we need
love it
brilliant
make this happen!
average goal scorer
are you kidding? goal every other game
finally, he's coming home
love it!

Then along comes
what is wrong with you people?! You're all so deluded. Of course it will be a good signing.

Weird.

Feb 14, 2010
Just for the record its not hindsight the criticism of our "football people" at the Albion who decided to replace Murray with CMS. Most of us, and anyone who knew the first thing about football said it at the time. Murray was an intelligent, skilfull goal scorer and after about one game of watching CMS run around like a headless chicken and failing to control the ball, our worst fears were confirmed. So why couldnt those people who were paid to know something about football see it? yes we all make mistakes but there are mistakes and then there is being completely inept. Also, just to clear this one up also, yes Murray did get stick at Brentford away, and he deserved it as well. That is not fickle football fans. Murray deserved stick and he got it. Full stop. That doesnt give our "footballing people" a get out of jail free card and that was way behind us when he left. It was probably the most inept footballing decision down the Albion since they told Roy Keane and Ian Wright that they were not for us.

Feb 14, 2010

I have no idea who you talked to down the Albion but for the record, my best mate said it, my relatives to a man said it (except one), and I said it. It is not hindsight, its "we told you so you bunch of clueless tracksuit white trainer wearing plonkas".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have no idea who you talked to down the Albion
No one.

but for the record, my best mate said it, my relatives to a man said it (except one), and I said it. It is not hindsight
A lot of people on NSC thought we should try and keep Murray, but most were happy we got CMS. And that was based on seeing him play several times for Peterborough, not based on one game for us. Murray then went on to score a whopping 6 goals for Palace (CMS scored 9), and some there wanted rid of him.

To suggest that anyone who knew the first thing about football somehow knew Murray was great and CMS was rubbish is just ignorant. A few teams wanted to pay £2.5m ish for CMS, because the managers and scouts for those teams thought he was an excellent player. Murray, meanwhile, was available on a free, and there wasn't much contending for his signature.

CMS didn't fit into our style, and then he got injured. He wasn't as good as we hoped he'd be, he wasn't as bad as you think he was.

Feb 14, 2010
No one.

A lot of people on NSC thought we should try and keep Murray, but most were happy we got CMS. And that was based on seeing him play several times for Peterborough, not based on one game for us. Murray then went on to score a whopping 6 goals for Palace (CMS scored 9), and some there wanted rid of him.

To suggest that anyone who knew the first thing about football somehow knew Murray was great and CMS was rubbish is just ignorant. A few teams wanted to pay £2.5m ish for CMS, because the managers and scouts for those teams thought he was an excellent player. Murray, meanwhile, was available on a free, and there wasn't much contending for his signature.

CMS didn't fit into our style, and then he got injured. He wasn't as good as we hoped he'd be, he wasn't as bad as you think he was.

Utter baloney. As I say, it was noty hindsight. When Murray went, my friends / family and myself who had seen Murray knew it a mistake but only the coaching staff (those paid to know something about football) had not worked out that we had lost a skillfull, clever goal scorer. It is the most inept and costly decision since equally bad decisions to not give Roy Keane and Ian Wright a contract, but at least Keane and Wright were not our leading goal scorers when those "footballing people" made those mistakes. Lets not forget Murray scored skillfull goals in the third tier when surrounded by donkeys. As we said at the time, he would have been perfect with the Poyert midfield in the Championship behind him. The point I simply am making is that it cannot, by definition be called hindsight because it was predicted and it is no comfort at all to say "we told you to" but we bloody well did.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I remember being pretty disappointed when Murray left but accepted it because we bought CMS. However, it is baffling that the coaching team didn't realise Murray was perfect for our style under Gus whilst CMS was less than perfect and never got played in his preferred front two.

It is easily the worst transfer decision in recent times.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Utter baloney. As I say, it was noty hindsight. When Murray went, my friends / family and myself who had seen Murray knew it a mistake
I haven't said otherwise. You said 'Most of us, and anyone who knew the first thing about football said it at the time' - that's what's wrong. So you and your family said it, give yourself a medal. Maybe try and get a job as a scout, and put that on your CV. But just because you said it, doesn't mean most said it, and doesn't mean that anyone who knows anything about football said it.

It was a mistake to let him go, no shit, but that doesn't mean Poyet knows nothing at all about football.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Hasn't Eddie Howe said he's being named in his 25 man squad on Tuesday so that would mean all we could hope for is a 93 day emergency loan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here