Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Knife Sets

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A stone that you use to sharpen tools. You use water with it to stop the metal getting too hot.

It's not really to stop it getting hot, it's to carry away the particles that are removed so that each pass in on a clean surface.

Oooh! A knife expert - brilliant!

I have some Zwilling Henckels which I am currently “sharpening” with one of those v-shaped tools of the devil which, as has been observed, do take huge lumps of metal away.

A couple of questions please?

What is a waterstone?

You say that you stop at 1000 grit - is that stopping from a lower number or a higher?

That Lansky jobbie you link - can I sharpen my knives with the rods still in the wood? How good is the automatic guidance?

I’m truly rubbish with a steel - and I’m sick to death of my v-jobbie...

Sharpening you move from a low grit to high, so start on 300 then 600, 1000, 3000, 8000 (12k & 15k for a razor). Once you have achieved the desired angle of bevel you can keep the edge with a few strokes on the 1000. You can buy guides to keep the angle constant but I go freehand.
The turn box is easy as the angle is pre-set at 20 or 25 degrees and you keep the blade vertical whilst drawing it across/down the rod. As long as you have a half-decent eye you can get a good edge.
I use a marker pen to mark the bevel then it's easy to see where you are removing steel from and know when to stop.
You can also use a strop after sharpening to remove the microscopic burr that will have built up on the edge.
You need to clean the rods from time to time with washing up liquid and a "greenie"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not really to stop it getting hot, it's to carry away the particles that are removed so that each pass in on a clean surface.
That as well, and to create mud. It would get too hot without, and you could damage the knife's heat treatment.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
That as well, and to create mud. It would get too hot without, and you could damage the knife's heat treatment.

I think you'd have to be sharpening quite furiously to get the edge hot enough to locally anneal it but I've never tried.

If you want advice on sharpening (although it doesn't sound like you need it) from people far more proficient than me have a look at https://edgematters.uk/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you'd have to be sharpening quite furiously to get the edge hot enough to locally anneal it but I've never tried.
Yeah maybe it doesn't happen much for home users, but you only have to heat the edge too much to affect the temper. That might need a fair amount of work, so if you're doing a chunk of steel removal, thinning the knife. It wouldn't affect the whole steel, but it would affect the edge, and edge retention. The big stone wheels they use when making knives don't need the water to remove the particles, since they're massive wheels doing a full rotation. They do significantly heat the steel though, so they need water to keep them cool.

If you want advice on sharpening (although it doesn't sound like you need it) from people far more proficient than me have a look at https://edgematters.uk/
I've followed videos from Murray Carter and Jon Broida. You don't want to mix advice from too many people, as it's just confusing.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
To be fair I never read their description, I purchased a few knives from them at a trade show many years ago, haven’t really read their website, but what I can say is their knives are extremely good quality, and have stood the test of time.
I’ve since acquired a few more and they’re still just as good quality.
I’ve only ever had personal and telephone dealings with them and the guys there have been very knowledgeable and a joy to deal with.
On their behalf I apologise for their crappy website.

Well I've looked, and here's the description for their £130 8" chef knife:
"A larger and heavier blade with a deeper heel to it and originally designed for slicing and disjointing. Chopping, slicing, dicing, scooping, you can go from chopping herbs to floretting your broccoli. It’ll also provide a lovely slice on a roasted joint."

Seriously? You're selling a £130 chef knife and you're telling me you can chop, slice, dice and scoop with it? WTF is it made from? Is it clad? What's the hardness rating? Where was it made?

Note, I can't find any meaningful details about any of their knives.
They look like they just buy fancy looking knives from China and their team is all about showing them off in front of an audience and selling.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair I never read their description, I purchased a few knives from them at a trade show many years ago, haven’t really read their website, but what I can say is their knives are extremely good quality, and have stood the test of time.
I’ve since acquired a few more and they’re still just as good quality.
I’ve only ever had personal and telephone dealings with them and the guys there have been very knowledgeable and a joy to deal with.
They just look like they've been bought in bulk on the cheap from Alibaba, and then given a massive mark-up. Fancy handles, and no mention of the important steel.

Anyway, you've got some, you like them and recommend them, that's cool.

EDIT - found what I was looking for:
https://www.flintandflame.co.uk/products/flint-and-flame-knives/

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here