Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Since you ask for a Burnley point of view ...

1. Jay Rodriguez was a very popular Burnley player, local boy born and raised in Burnley, scored a lot of goals over a fairly short period of time in the first XI but was a Burnley player at various levels for many years. He didn't want to leave Burnley (so we understand) but the club needed the money.

2. The booing of Bong was nothing to do eith his being black, except very obliquely in that it was because he is black that the whole issue began. The booing of Bong was because he made allegations against "one of our own" which were almost universally disbelieved by Burnley fans - yes, we're biased - and which were seen as being unlikely because they were so out of character, by people who knew him when he was at Burnley.

3. You are of course right that Rodriguez was not proved innocent of racist comments; just as Bong was not proved innocent of malicious allegations. It was a private conversation between two men in a noisy environment with no corroborating evidence whatsoever - nothing can be proved. You're Brighton fans, you are obviously biased towards your player just as we are to ours; but the FA cannot possibly dish out automatic five-match bans to anyone based on an uncorroborated statement. Otherwise it would be so easy to get players banned just because you can. I am in no way saying that Bong did this; just that other players would if they could. Footballers have a disgusting track record of lying and cheating to get fellow professionals into trouble.

For my view, I reckon Bong misheard. Is that so unlikely? How many of us can honestly say that we have never misheard anything said to us at a football ground? It gets pretty noisy out there. Rodrigues had his fingers holding his nose which by definition means his hand is over his mouth, so no lip reading help. Rodriguez was very rude, that's admitted. But that's not racist.

Why the homophobic ILLEGAL BY THE WAY chants today and at recent visits?

What kind of people are produced there, when most of the rest of the UK has moved on?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

1. Jay Rodriguez was a very popular Burnley player, local boy born and raised in Burnley, scored a lot of goals over a fairly short period of time in the first XI but was a Burnley player at various levels for many years. He didn't want to leave Burnley (so we understand) but the club needed the money.

2. The booing of Bong was nothing to do eith his being black, except very obliquely in that it was because he is black that the whole issue began. The booing of Bong was because he made allegations against "one of our own" which were almost universally disbelieved by Burnley fans - yes, we're biased - and which were seen as being unlikely because they were so out of character, by people who knew him when he was at Burnley.

3. You are of course right that Rodriguez was not proved innocent of racist comments; just as Bong was not proved innocent of malicious allegations. It was a private conversation between two men in a noisy environment with no corroborating evidence whatsoever - nothing can be proved. You're Brighton fans, you are obviously biased towards your player just as we are to ours; but the FA cannot possibly dish out automatic five-match bans to anyone based on an uncorroborated statement. Otherwise it would be so easy to get players banned just because you can. I am in no way saying that Bong did this; just that other players would if they could. Footballers have a disgusting track record of lying and cheating to get fellow professionals into trouble.

For my view, I reckon Bong misheard. Is that so unlikely? How many of us can honestly say that we have never misheard anything said to us at a football ground? It gets pretty noisy out there. Rodrigues had his fingers holding his nose which by definition means his hand is over his mouth, so no lip reading help. Rodriguez was very rude, that's admitted. But that's not racist.
Yes we know all that.

But to boo a player who plays for another club on the basis he made a complaint regarding racial abuse...

.. and to follow it up ( as reported by two Burnley supporters on national radio tonight ) with homophobic abuse ?

Doesn't look great does it ?

I'm sure the majority of Burnley fans are a bit embarresed.

Are you ?

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

For point 4, would you like to give your opinion of quite open and loud homophobic chanting from a large number of your supporters?

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006

If you don’t think it was racist then you are as bad as them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
For point 4, would you like to give your opinion of quite open and loud homophobic chanting from a large number of your supporters?

OK. What were they singing? I was at the other end, assuming you mean the Cricket Field Stand supporters.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Well that was a waste of time bothering to read that...youve not mentioned whether you went to university, are a liberal...voted no to brexit etc....these apparently are all things that qualify you to make a valid judgement...also not mentioned was that JR was found innocent :moo:

PS not all biased as you mention....a burnley fan tweeted into 606...it was read out just after the nob who doesn't understand NOT PROVEN isn't not guilty....they said that it was wrong to boo Bong

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
OK. What were they singing? I was at the other end, assuming you mean the Cricket Field Stand supporters.

Town full of benders as a retort to the song that we called them a town full of racists. Not sure if they were trying to make the point that they are not racists, merely homophobic OR that they are both accepting of their racism and therefore also wanted to express their homophobia too.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing

Unfortunately we'll never know whether Bong misheard or not
But your breath or your black and you stink
seems dodgy to me, changing one word.
and holding your nose waving your arms. Either way Rodriguez instigated it. He either made a racist comment or should be back in primary school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Point 3. The FA specifically said Gaetan Bong did not make a malicious allegation, in their report.
The case was not proven because Rofriguez had his hand over his mouth.
The official lip readers did pick up the word garlic, and Bong is a French speaker, so referring to his breath is referring to his culture.
I know that's not racist, but it's a grey area.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Bong was not proved innocent of malicious allegations.

The report stated that the FA was "Completely Satisfied" that Gaeten Bong's complaint was made "In absolute good faith" and that "there was no suggestion that this was a malicious or fabricated complaint". That sounds like the exact opposite of what you have stated and it would have been good if the Burnley fans that booed him had actually read the report before choosing to involve themselves in a matter that didn't concern them in a manner that was only ever going to damage the reputation of their own club.

Sometimes football fans can provide the best evidence to disprove the notion of the wisdom of crowds.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Completely wrong Bong was exonerated by the FA

"Rodriguez was charged by the Football Association, which delivered its verdict earlier this month.

Saying the allegation was "not proven", it added there was "no suggestion by any party involved in this case that this was a malicious or fabricated complaint".

It also said it was "completely satisfied that this was a complaint made in absolute good faith".

That is pretty clear to anyone who can read.

You claim its not racist, how do you think a black player is going to act on anything in the future given how this has blown up. The FA and UEFA have supposedly wanted to encourage players who feared to speak out. All three cases that have been brought up have been ended as not proven. Its KICK IT OUT year, it was displayed on your TV screen at the ground all game that you do not hate and to KICK IT OUT. You did just that to Gaeten, how do you think your black players felt witnessing that. Maybe ask them.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Seperate to the above had a great lead up to the game, had a nice cool beer in the sun by the cricket square. Had a decent chat with some Burnley fans. Then it kind of went downhill, suggested that we may need the match sponsers number after the game. Seems the Samaritans up north consider suicide funny haha the bantz! Then leading into the atmosphere of the game which was very unexpected.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Had Bong elbowed Rodriguez or stamped on his face instead of claiming he was racially abused, would your fans booed Bong like they did today? I doubt it. Burnley fans booed him all game because of racial abuse allegations with a player who doesn't even play for you. I couldn't give a toss if he's from Burnley. Yes, that's very sweet and cute how Rodriguez is a Burnley club legend even so he's Championship level playing for relegated WBA, but like I said, I couldn't give a toss. They clearly didn't like 'one of their own' being accused of racism even so he was acting like a complete knobhead towards Bong. Considering Rodriguez is from Burnley, and your fans seem to unite through being scumbags, it's not that unlikely he may have used racial abuse, is it?

The homophobic chanting today was a reminder of how far football has moved on. You lot seem to be the only club still doing the homophobic chanting. That's pretty good if you look back 20/30 years ago.

Surely the Burnley board should consider new ideas of tackling this weird 'stuck in time' issue your club has on a mass level. Is there anyway the club could start handing out children books for the older fans? Even if it was just colouring-in books, I'm sure it'll help some of your fans to start using their brains more positively.

There has to be a solution for your clubs fans. Don't give up hope!

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yep, I can confirm that I disapprove of both of those chants.
But listen, irrespective of the FA inquiry a few Burnley fans (not Bong) have put this incident back in the national press, radio and television.

The player that doesn't even play for the club.

We are now discussing the aftermath.

The behaviour today is fairly open to the accusation it will make a player think twice about reporting racial abuse - you even get booed at other clubs.

John Motion even made comment to the booing as part of his commentary, linking the fact to the FA investigation of a player at another club.

I'm amazed Burnley FC haven't made a statement tonight.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yep, I can confirm that I disapprove of both of those chants.

What about this on your forum discussing the same subject? :

Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1572 times
Re: Chris Hughton
Home
by RingoMcCartney » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:45 am

Apparently, Brighton arrange to stock the bars in the away end with the visiting teams local beer. (Moorhouses)

A nice touch, without doubt.

Perhaps, next year, as a gesture to lower animosity levels after todays game, we could return the favour and have a stall selling ******s?

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28465&start=100

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As we are both in the same league then we have to play Burnley away.
If you are going to travel to support the Albion then you have to expect what has happened today.
Burnley is an awful place, a pigsty that still lives in the 70's, with a population that is very racist, barely able to read and write they walk on their knuckles.
Today proved all the above but have you ever seen anything quite so pathetic as a crowd booing an opposition player because of something that happened with another player who does not even play for them, it's beyond stupidity. It's like us booing a player who had an altercation with Gareth Barry, we would not do it.
Just think yourself lucky it's only once a year that we need to go there.
Tonight they are still in that shit hole while we are all back in civilisation.
Burnley and the majority of its white population are the worse of British, an embarrassment, pond life.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
As we are both in the same league then we have to play Burnley away.
If you are going to travel to support the Albion then you have to expect what has happened today.
Burnley is an awful place, a pigsty that still lives in the 70's, with a population that is very racist, barely able to read and write they walk on their knuckles.
Today proved all the above but have you ever seen anything quite so pathetic as a crowd booing an opposition player because of something that happened with another player who does not even play for them, it's beyond stupidity. It's like us booing a player who had an altercation with Gareth Barry, we would not do it.
Just think yourself lucky it's only once a year that we need to go there.
Tonight they are still in that shit hole while we are all back in civilisation.
Burnley and the majority of its white population are the worse of British, an embarrassment, pond life.

You forgot to mention that we tend to stereotype people.:rolleyes:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here