Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
think my last +15 min delay was back in August. since the changes from guards to OBS service has improved, aside from driver strikes. awaiting winter though, that should balls things up at some point.

I was a bit dischuffed on Friday afternoon when my train was 11 minutes late. Another 4 minutes wouldn't have made much difference to me, but I could have claimed.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Southern generally are fine, like other said. I have had 1 delay repay in the last 3 months. Other delays have been minimal or known before I travel.

Strikes are ineffective and a pretty much full service runs.

Look forward to seeing how the ballot went with the hefty pay rise guarantee. Not that this is about pay.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Several times a week I'm probably eligible for a delay repay, if it's based on arrival time (haven't checked). Trains going from Worthing to Brighton, where I change for Falmer, are often delayed by a few minutes, meaning I miss my connecting train at Brighton. Often, but less frequently, occurs in the opposite direction as well. I just expect delays now. But I've never claimed - as I say not sure I'm eligible and CBA to fill out claim forms several times a week for a few pennies back.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Southern generally are fine, like other said. I have had 1 delay repay in the last 3 months. Other delays have been minimal or known before I travel.

Strikes are ineffective and a pretty much full service runs.

Look forward to seeing how the ballot went with the hefty pay rise guarantee. Not that this is about pay.

Well I have voted a very definite "No". I think most of my colleagues down south have too but I expect it to go through. No amount of money will get me to shit on the disabled, vulnerable passengers, my colleagues and the rest of the passengers who may one day wonder where the guard is when they need them the most. I will not be any more complicit than I have to be in one layer of safety being removed due to "modernisation". Sadly I think other depots may have had enough of the dispute (especially as all doo depots have conveniently been brought back into the ballot when the government wouldn't let them vote for strike action) and think this is the best overall offer we can get. We shall see. Hoping for the best (for future passengers) but expecting the worst. I hope those that voted yes (and Aslef's negotiators) will be able to clear their conscience when the inevitable happens sometime in the future.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well I have voted a very definite "No". I think most of my colleagues down south have too but I expect it to go through. No amount of money will get me to shit on the disabled, vulnerable passengers, my colleagues and the rest of the passengers who may one day wonder where the guard is when they need them the most. I will not be any more complicit than I have to be in one layer of safety being removed due to "modernisation". Sadly I think other depots may have had enough of the dispute (especially as all doo depots have conveniently been brought back into the ballot when the government wouldn't let them vote for strike action) and think this is the best overall offer we can get. We shall see. Hoping for the best (for future passengers) but expecting the worst. I hope those that voted yes (and Aslef's negotiators) will be able to clear their conscience when the inevitable happens sometime in the future.

Isn't that 3 deals, negotiated and recommended by ASLEF, that you've not liked, and the last 2 have been rejected by the members? It makes me wonder why you bother being a member at all. Your union clearly sees things differently to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Isn't that 3 deals, negotiated and recommended by ASLEF, that you've not liked, and the last 2 have been rejected by the members? It makes me wonder why you bother being a member at all. Your union clearly sees things differently to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes me wonder too. I understand how and why Aslef have got to this stage but I absolutely and fundamentally do not agree with them. The new t & cs are fine, the money is obviously good but doo is not and to lump all 3 things together is a big mistake. Not that belonging to a union is just about this sort of thing - they are a vital insurance policy when things go tits up. I may well consider changing unions if this goes through though.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Personally I have voted no, but many other drivers I’ve spoken to have voted yes as they don’t believe there is any chance of a better deal while the government is pushing this.

Copy and pasted from an aslef rep, gives a little more clarity why they are recommending a yes vote.

Sadly the government decided that disabled folk are not a priority or so it seems. Our guards were removed by an imposed change. ASLEF union was dragged through the courts when we opposed these changes. The deal on offer appears to be the best of a very bad lot, it lets us keep the OBS grade, means one should be on most trains and that they will have some formal training. It is an absolute scandal that this has happened, but it should be remembered that Huw Merriman MP has time and again mouthed off that he does not want his train cancelled due to no guard and therefore supports the imposed changes. This is the voice of the tory party in action.
While train drivers and more so RMT members have fought valiantly to try and reverse these impositions it became clear that the government were determined at all costs to prevent this and with all the funds available to it were prepared to crush union opposition, Remember Peter Wilkinson’s outburst in Croydon promising that very thing.
They do not care who loses their job or about the cost to the economy they are just hell bent on forcing though these changes under the questionable hand of Wilkinson and Grayling.
This has all been a well-planned government plan that has been played out on staff and passengers alike.
And it looks like it is to be imposed on all the other TOCs in the near future.
Perhaps people would like to remember this when voting in elections because despite all of this you returned the tory party to power.
While we have tried hard it is not the responsibility of train drivers and X guards to fight for disability rights, we have no formal legal right to do that and in fact if this current deal was to be rejected it is entirely possible that there would be far less access in the future. (See Thames link)
The job of securing rights for all lays firmly with those elected and empowered to do this and those people have utterly and very deliberately in some cases set out to fail the most vulnerable in our society and personally I am very sick and furious about that and that feeling is shared by many of my workmates.
If it’s hard to believe what I say about things being even worse, just look to the 12 coach bowling alleys flying up and down the Brighton main line under the Thameslink brand (700 class) no guard, no OBS fewer seats, mass transit boxes on wheels, this is the future the government elected by the people of the UK is pushing for! The drivers on Southern if they accept the offered deal might just hold that back for a while longer.
Don’t be diverted by the gutter press with their headlines about massive pay offers, the reason drivers are considering the deal is because of the above and not pay!
Of course these are my personal opinions but having lived this dispute for the last 18 months I feel qualified to speak out.
Don’t blame the traincrew for the lack of access, we have tried harder than we are allowed to say to improve it. But it is the elected MPs and government that are fully 100% to blame for the massive backward step we have all seen.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Makes me wonder too. I understand how and why Aslef have got to this stage but I absolutely and fundamentally do not agree with them. The new t & cs are fine, the money is obviously good but doo is not and to lump all 3 things together is a big mistake. Not that belonging to a union is just about this sort of thing - they are a vital insurance policy when things go tits up. I may well consider changing unions if this goes through though.

Personally I have voted no, but many other drivers I’ve spoken to have voted yes as they don’t believe there is any chance of a better deal while the government is pushing this.

Copy and pasted from an aslef rep, gives a little more clarity why they are recommending a yes vote.

Sadly the government decided that disabled folk are not a priority or so it seems. Our guards were removed by an imposed change. ASLEF union was dragged through the courts when we opposed these changes. The deal on offer appears to be the best of a very bad lot, it lets us keep the OBS grade, means one should be on most trains and that they will have some formal training. It is an absolute scandal that this has happened, but it should be remembered that Huw Merriman MP has time and again mouthed off that he does not want his train cancelled due to no guard and therefore supports the imposed changes. This is the voice of the tory party in action.
While train drivers and more so RMT members have fought valiantly to try and reverse these impositions it became clear that the government were determined at all costs to prevent this and with all the funds available to it were prepared to crush union opposition, Remember Peter Wilkinson’s outburst in Croydon promising that very thing.
They do not care who loses their job or about the cost to the economy they are just hell bent on forcing though these changes under the questionable hand of Wilkinson and Grayling.
This has all been a well-planned government plan that has been played out on staff and passengers alike.
Perhaps people would like to remember this when voting in elections because despite all of this you returned the tory party to power.
While we have tried hard it is not the responsibility of train drivers and X guards to fight for disability rights, we have no formal legal right to do that and in fact if this current deal was to be rejected it is entirely possible that there would be far less access in the future. (See Thames link)
The job of securing rights for all lays firmly with those elected and empowered to do this and those people have utterly and very deliberately in some cases set out to fail the most vulnerable in our society and personally I am very sick and furious about that and that feeling is shared by many of my workmates.
If it’s hard to believe what I say about things being even worse, just look to the 12 coach bowling alleys flying up and down the Brighton main line under the Thameslink brand (700 class) no guard, no OBS fewer seats, mass transit boxes on wheels, this is the future the government elected by the people of the UK is pushing for! The drivers on Southern if they accept the offered deal might just hold that back for a while longer.
Don’t be diverted by the gutter press with their headlines about massive pay offers, the reason drivers are considering the deal is because of the above and not pay!
Of course these are my personal opinions but having lived this dispute for the last 18 months I feel qualified to speak out.
Don’t blame the traincrew for the lack of access, we have tried harder than we are allowed to say to improve it. But it is the elected MPs and government that are fully 100% to blame for the massive backward step we have all seen.

Thank you both for trying and standing by your beliefs :(

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

You have done your best and can do no more. The sooner this lot get out of government the better. I travelled back from Havant on Monday with two disabled friends. The guard couldn't have been kinder and more helpful.

The disabled have been sold down the river by GTR and the Tories.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well I have voted a very definite "No". I think most of my colleagues down south have too but I expect it to go through.

I echo what [MENTION=34281]pearl[/MENTION] said and thank-you and thank-you too for your posts and [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] during all this - I learned a lot.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My life flashed before my eyes today on a train that was divided at Haywards Heath. While the detachment took place the OBS was stood on the platform but had left the doors he was stood near open, meaning I could have fallen out of the doors (!) while it was shunted. Seemed a bit odd ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You have done your best and can do no more. The sooner this lot get out of government the better. I travelled back from Havant on Monday with two disabled friends. The guard couldn't have been kinder and more helpful.

The disabled have been sold down the river by GTR and the Tories.

Christ, I didn't take you to be anti Tory too.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
My life flashed before my eyes today on a train that was divided at Haywards Heath. While the detachment took place the OBS was stood on the platform but had left the doors he was stood near open, meaning I could have fallen out of the doors (!) while it was shunted. Seemed a bit odd ?

Out of interest were you in the front or rear portion?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here