Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] German Films that You've Enjoyed

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Edukators great film featuring the leads of Sophie Scholl and Goodbye Lenin, what more could you ask for, and this thread an Uncle Spielberg-free zone to boot! Happy days (sorry Unc)

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I would add to the excellent previous choices "Die Brücke (The Bridge) " about seven teenage boys who are ordered to defend a bridge in the last few days of World War 2.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Trying to name your top 12 films is an almost impossible task so I've set a much easier one. Just name some German films that you've enjoyed. No top fives or top tens as you may have only ever seen one and liked it. So name as many or as few as you like. Mine include:

Mephisto
M
Fitzcarraldo (one of my favourite ever films)
The Tin Drum
Wings of Desire
The Lives of Others

similar, but not familiar with M or the last one

Aguirre Wrath of God

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Laura Rennt was a German film I enjoyed watching during GCSE German.

Also a second honourable mention for Deutschland 83. They are bringing out a second series, Deutschland 86.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Another vote for Das Boot here. Masterful suspense.

Not exactly a film, but Channel 4's Deutschland 83 of a couple of year's back was a Major (Tom) Must-Watch

The producers have just wrapped up Deutschland 86, the next in the series. Hope that's on our screens soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn’t happen in Germany.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Already mentioned multiple times but Lives of Others is fantastic.
The stasi museum in Berlin is fascinating.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I just remembered another - Europa, Europa - the real life story of a Jew who joined the German army. I actually saw it in Germany, in the city were a good part of the film was set. I recall looking around the audience at the 50 or 60 year-olds there (this was 1990) and wondered what they'd been doing during the war.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I just remembered another - Europa, Europa - the real life story of a Jew who joined the German army. I actually saw it in Germany, in the city were a good part of the film was set. I recall looking around the audience at the 50 or 60 year-olds there (this was 1990) and wondered what they'd been doing during the war.

It's still obviously a sore subject with a lot of German people especially the older generation. My wife is German and I've had some really interesting conversations with her parents and grandparents.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Behind Enemy Lines is quite good (no, not that one....)
This one is a German WW2 film set in Russia in 1941, but was fairly decent I thought. Not bad for about £3 in Asda.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I mentioned it on the 'underrated' films thread, but my vote goes to 'Dopplepack'. It's a German buddy movie.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here