Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Some worryingly low scores there- 3/10 for Clinic's Distortions! Another 3 for Pavement and a 5 for Half Man Half Biscuit. I am going to have a sleepless night over this.
Subjectivity is the name of the game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some worryingly low scores there- 3/10 for Clinic's Distortions! Another 3 for Pavement and a 5 for Half Man Half Biscuit. I am going to have a sleepless night over this.

And a TWO for the Felt Tips track! I really like it - amuses me the emphasis on 'gar-DEN'. A TWO!!!

Pretty sure you've guessed right, btw, [MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And a 'not great' for Meet me on Tuesdays! Bloody HELL.

that was actually on the cd I created originally, but I swapped it for a more obscure Corners track.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
....and only 4 for Bottle Rocket?? That's at least a 9!! A certain member of NSC surely won't be overly thrilled with a middling score of 6 for track 7 either - stay away from the Family Stand on Saturday, Somerset, or you may find someone throwing his drumsticks at you. Clearly Flex is the sender - a nicely balanced selection. Meanwhile, my CD has arrived. I am 99.9% sure I know who the sender is. Mainly festival indie acts, with a few nods towards proggy metal. I only have tracks by one of the acts - I Am Kloot - so there's a lot of discovering to be done. Do I really dislike Kasabian as much as I tell myself I do? Time to listen without prejudice. May give it a couple of spins on the way to Brighton on Saturday...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No [MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] it was my handiwork, sorry the CD was a bit of a miss on the whole, but that is the luck of the draw I suppose. I am glad you liked the Part piece he is definitely worth checking out.

I guess I was too late to deny and let him have another guess!

I can safely say that I don't own anything on that CD!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
....and only 4 for Bottle Rocket?? That's at least a 9!! A certain member of NSC surely won't be overly thrilled with a middling score of 6 for track 7 either - stay away from the Family Stand on Saturday, Somerset, or you may find someone throwing his drumsticks at you. Clearly Flex is the sender - a nicely balanced selection. Meanwhile, my CD has arrived. I am 99.9% sure I know who the sender is. Mainly festival indie acts, with a few nods towards proggy metal. I only have tracks by one of the acts - I Am Kloot - so there's a lot of discovering to be done. Do I really dislike Kasabian as much as I tell myself I do? Time to listen without prejudice. May give it a couple of spins on the way to Brighton on Saturday...
Safely tucked away in WSU thank you....

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Have listened to my cd thoroughly tonight, and will review in the morning. Seriously cannot wait to have my wifi installed, having to rely on 3G is utterly painful!!!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was just in the process of finishing my review last night when NSC went down for it's upgrade, the review is saved on my mac at home so I will put it on this evening. Overall very impressed, some great tracks on what is quite a chilled album. Certainly given me a few artists that I want to check out more of.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ok, here goes,.... What a strange collection,.. no real theme, maybe you could say it had an Indie feel with a few curve balls thrown in......

1) Jimmy Hill – Rapid Pips – 8 seconds of something, I know not what… not on the pitch long enough.
2) Lets give it a shot – Dorotea – Eddie and the Hot Rods stylie… 5/10
3) Impressions of a City Morning – Brown Recluse – California sound,… reminded me of Husky… 7/10
4) Meet me on Tuesdays – The Brilliant Corners – indie student union fare, not great… 5/10
5) 007 ( shanty town) – Desmond Dekker – 10/10 – right up my Jamaican Ska Street.
6) Heartbeats – Jose Gonzales – I love his stuff, just as background stuff though, or watching bouncy ball adverts. – 8/10
7) Run Around – The Fireworks. – Ramones with female vocals – I think I may have grown out of this in 1980 – 6/10
8) An Arcade from the warm rain that falls – Comet Gain – has merit, but just a little too ‘indie’ for my taste…. 6/10
9) Cut your hair – Pavement – sorry not for me,… worst type of Indie, slow tempo Indie, but some decent guitar runs.…. 3/10
10) Joy Division Oven Gloves – Half Man Half Biscuit – Bordering on punk, but not quite,…. Bouncy – 5/10
11) Garden of Roses – The Felt tips. – WTF?? – not for me, sorry dross. 2/10
12) Hounds of Love – Futurheads – Just superb, saw them at the Anson Rooms at Bristol Uni,… they were great…. 10/10
13) Wuthering Heights – China Drum – Notwithstanding the KB cover again,… well constructed headbanging,… like it. 8/10
14) The Chills – Peter Bjorn & John – Scandi elektronika – flowed ok,… may investigate them further – 7/10
15) Sick kid – playlounge – grungey, hard to describe, one long guitar riff…. Average, 5/10
16) A Token of gratitude – The Radio dept – Liked it, mellow ‘california’ sound, will look them up, 8/10
17) Recorded on a plane – King of cats – Like a title sountrack to a dark british tv drama,.. didn’t dislike it… 7/10
18) Such great Heights – The Postal Service – bounced along, a bit of a Hot Chip feel – good 7/10
19) Distortions – Clinic – drab.. sorry – 3/10
20) Manchild – Eels – odd slow selection… Eels are good value normally,.. this seemed out of context… 5/10
21) Bottle Rocket – The Go Team – Like Mel & kim on speed,… my head is spinning… 4/10
22) Falling away – Preston School of Industry – Indie Pop…. Poor man’s Smiths. – 5/10
23) She crosses my Mind – The Popsters – energetic, the drummer must be fit… Italian pop/punk…. 7/10
24) <no title> But my app tells me it is kick out the Tories – Newtown Neurotics – protest post-punk….. a clue to the sender maybe.?

I guess - [MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION] - Indie/Punk tracks,... Political narrative in track 24.

There's going to be some consternation on the indie-pop thread about this one - good on you [MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]!

Definitely @FlexYourHead - playlounge gave it away for me, they are much better live on record I'd say.

Flex Your Head

I guess - Flex Your Head - Indie/Punk tracks,... Political narrative in track 24.

Indeed. Thanks for the review - am happy to get a couple of 10s in there, and with an average score of 5.9 per track, it could've been a lot worse.

I'll have my review up by the end of the weekend.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Indeed. Thanks for the review - am happy to get a couple of 10s in there, and with an average score of 5.9 per track, it could've been a lot worse.

I'll have my review up by the end of the weekend.
Interesting set of tracks,..... I have been you-tubing Brown Recluse and Peter Bjorn & John.,.... its great finding new ( or new to me) artists........ I browse http://www.indieshuffle.com,........ you can select the genre, or mix of genre...... just browse to your hearts content.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Nice enough. Doesn't really move me.

I'll stick with fat bob's version for now.

That's fair enough. I didn't say it was better than the original! I think it pushes it pretty close, though (I love the Cure, too).

It stood out to me on the first run through the CD, to be honest, but still got better every time I listened through and I found myself willing the tracks just ahead of it to hurry up.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Best of Secret Santa compilation

Have set up a mix cloud page in readiness
http://www.mixcloud.com/NorthStandChatMusic/

Having trawled through everyone's reviews I so far have the following playlist - correct me if it is wrong, or if you haven't made clear your favourite please do so. (If you got a double CD you are allowed two choices if you wish)
[MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] - Postmarks - No one said it would be easy
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] Real Estate - Hard to hear/James Yorkston - Red fox
[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] June Brides - Sunday to Saturday
[MENTION=2351]m20gull[/MENTION] Terry Callier - Fix the blame/Jeff Mills - The bells
[MENTION=15464]DavePage[/MENTION] Soulsavers - Longest day
[MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] Ruth Copeland - Gimme shelter
[MENTION=260]sully[/MENTION] Victor Malloy - Boys don't cry
[MENTION=19671]CorgiRegisteredFriend[/MENTION] Frank Zappa - Valley girl
[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] - ?
[MENTION=27736]SouthCoastOwl[/MENTION] - ?
[MENTION=17286]Gordon Bennett[/MENTION] - Arvo Part - Spiegel im spiegel
[MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION] - Desmond Dekker - 007
[MENTION=21502]Razzoo[/MENTION] - ?

Yet to review
[MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19864]Flex Your Head[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION]

yet to receive
[MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION]
[MENTION=12196]tinycowboy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15311]The Buttery Biscuit Base[/MENTION]

Flex Your Head

My CD part 1:

You Don’t Love Me – John Mayall; Quite like this; British 60’s-ish sounding blues with a nice harmonica riff throughout. I know next to nothing about this type of music, but know that John Mayall and his Bluebreakers are up there amongst the big names of British blues and have worked with or featured people like Derek Clapton, Pete Green and early versions of Fleetwood Mac. I think. Decent enough start.

Mean Woman Blues – The Spencer Davis Group; More British 60’s-ish sounding blues but without a nice harmonica riff this time. Again, decent enough and possibly something of a classic from the genre. Possibly not - what do I know?

Highway 61 Revisited – Johnny Winter; The Dylan classic covered by a man who the only thing I know about is that he’s an albino. I think. I saw him on TV once in the 70’s in he kinda scared me a bit. This has a driving rhythm section and lots of guitar picking in a bluesy style. It’s grown on me a bit y’know, but the vocals still sound like Barney the drunk from The Simpsons, especially the first verse.

Ramblin’ Man – Allman Brothers Band; Catchy, country-influenced tune from a band I have heard of many times, but heard nothing by (to my knowledge). Up-tempo with lots of guitar. I think my Santa is a big fan of guitar virtuosity and solos, whereas I generally think that anything beyond four and a half seconds is overblown and just showing off. This does go on a bit.

Doctor My Eyes – Jackson Browne; another artist who, if I hadn’t worked in record shops, I’d know almost nothing about. I remember ‘Stay’ being a hit in the mid-70’s and quite liking it, but I passed it over and spent my paper-round money on this little beauty instead:

Shouldn’t is be called ‘Doctor [comma] My Eyes’, otherwise it’s just inviting people to muck about with yer peepers? Billy Joel for people who like their piano breeziness laced with guitars.

I Came to Dance – Nils Lofgren; I remember seeing a picture of Mr Lofgren back in the 70’s and thinking he’d fit in the Clash with that look. Wasn’t he in Bruce Sprinsteen’s band too? Either way, this is the worst track so far. Genuinely bad lyrics too:

Well, I came to dance
Yes, I came to dance
It's a rhythm romance
I'm havin' with my shoes
I've got nothin' to lose

Alone Again Or – Love; This, on the other hand, is by far the best track so far and a genuine classic. Sad lyrics but a wonderfully uplifting tune and chorus replete with mariachi band and trumpet solo. Love it.

Fortunate Son – Creedence Clearwater Revival; second only to Bad Moon Rising, and a bit of an anti-war anthem to boot? I know I’m a wee bit tipsy right now, but didn’t Sleater-Kinney cover this too?
Yes they bloody did -

Flirtin’ With Disaster – Molly Hatchet; Southern sounding ‘good time boogie’ rock and roll for fans of Confederate flags, Lyn Skyn, whisky probably, and guitars for sure.
Wally Hatchet more like.

Bread Fan – Budgie; proto NWOBHM from Wales. I seem to remember all their albums having people with budgie heads or helmets. My boss has promised to pay me good money if I can find a CD copy of Night Flight by them. This was probably a wee bit revolutionary in its time but sounds pretty dated now. And at 6 mins plus it goes on a bit.

I repeat, I think my Santa is a big fan of guitar virtuosity and solos. I can imagine him enjoying a few shots of something medicinal too. Possibly has a wide-brimmed hat and boots, and not averse to a toot on a jazz fag now and then too?

I’m squiffy and just talking in clichés now; time for bed. Second half sometime soon.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ok, here is my review.

Songs That Make Sophie Fizz – Martha Tilston
Nice opening, very folky, there is something quite nice about this track, it’s very catchy too.

Friend In A Bar – Tina Dico
Another quite folky track, but this one has a bit more rock to it. Another rather enjoyable track.

Dragons Thrice – Champion Fever
An electro dance type track, not a genre I am massively familiar with, although I do listen to it occasionally. I like this track though and will try to check out more of Champion Fever.

Come As You Are – Dani Siciliano
This one is a total reworking of the Nirvana track. Nirvana are one of my favourite bands so this was quite a challenge for me. There are parts I like but overall I am not sure, I think this needs more listens.

Secret – Sophie Barker
A lovely track.

Destiny – Zero 7
This is a great track, I remember it well from when it was originally released. I really need to get more of Zero 7 and Sophie Barkers back catalogues.

Freedom – Nizlopi
I was going to say there was an element of Ed Sheeran in this and it turns out he was their guitar technician and was heavily influenced by them. Really like this.

Brighton Song – Martha Tilston
Like the opening track this is very folky but again a nice track. Another chilled out track.

Hey Nineteen – Steely Dan
Cracking track, straight out of the 70’s.

Konichiwa – Woo!worths
Not familiar with this group but quite like this track, another very catchy tune that is easy to get into.

Josie – Steely Dan
Another great track, it’s got that distinctive 70s guitar rift to it.

Somersault – Zero 7
Another quite chilled track, not quite as good as the previous track of theirs but still quite nice.

Triptico – Gotan Project
An electronica track, just couldn’t get into this one I am afraid.

Life’s A Gas – T.Rex
Great track, really enjoyed this, not massively familiar with a lot of T.Rex so think I need to address that.

Seagull – Martha Tilston
Another lovely folky track, there is really something rather lovely about Tilston’s voice. Enjoyed all of the tracks of hers on the CD.

Goldstone Ground R.I.P. – Terry Garroghan
I am familiar from some of Terry Garroghan’s work from when he was on Southern Sound or whatever it was called. This is done to the tune of “Those were the days my friends”. Lovely reminder of days gone by for any Brighton fan.

I think my favourite track was Freedom by Nizlopi. Only 1 track I didn’t enjoy which is great. It's introduced me to a few new artists I need to check out as well as reminded of some that I don't listen to enough of. Will give it a bit of thought as to who my Santa was as I’m not sure who hasn’t been guessed yet.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
More review
10) HEHFU - Hiding Place. This song is another grower. Distorted indiepop with a good melody and very strange spoken word sample at the end.
11) Selfies - It's Automatic. A punky jerky riff that doesn't outstay it's welcome. Good one
12) Shopping - Drunk Billionaire Throws Party. - A weird tune, all over the place (which is a good thing). I love the instrumental breakdown towards the end too.
Sorry the review is in pieces [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] more later.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
More review
10) HEHFU - Hiding Place. This song is another grower. Distorted indiepop with a good melody and very strange spoken word sample at the end.
11) Selfies - It's Automatic. A punky jerky riff that doesn't outstay it's welcome. Good one
12) Shopping - Drunk Billionaire Throws Party. - A weird tune, all over the place (which is a good thing). I love the instrumental breakdown towards the end too.
Sorry the review is in pieces [MENTION=2040]Staly[/MENTION] more later.

That's ok, creates a certain tension. I love the second half of Drunk Billionaire too...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I make it just [MENTION=21578]Worthingite[/MENTION] to review who has received a CD so far, but several others not yet guessed.

Do we also know if any of those last reported as having not received a CD have got one now? What chance a full update, [MENTION=61]Theatre of Trees[/MENTION]?

I have to say I've really enjoyed reading through all the reviews and will point a few others at this if there's another one done in future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here