Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The clubs darn 0844 number

I know I’ve moaned before but I’ve just wasted 15 minutes of my life on this number, spend £6 in the process and probably earned the club more than when I give them a fiver for a pint.

Knowing me, I’ll moan again too.....

These numbers are a sham. Even Ryan Air have abaondoned them yet our amazing football club is still a few steps short of amazing when it comes to their insistance on people use premium rate phone numbers, even when there isn’t a sensible alternative.

In the past, the 0344 supporter services number would process a childs upgrade. No more, they know what number you have come through on and refuse to process it.

So today at 0830 I call the 0844 number ot upgrade my kids ticket. We know it’s a number for ticket sales only, so I don’t need to listen to twaddle about rining another number if my query isn’t ticket related.

After digesting all that shite I press 1 as it’s the option I need. Only to be told the line isn’t open until 9am. I could have been told this at the outset.

So, I just call again (0920) and this time I have to wait a good 10 minutes to speak to an operator. Whilst I’m waiting I have voice overs in a Northern accent. No problem with northern accents, but this is Brighton I’m calling.

Then, when the phone is answered, I’m put back on hold as the chaps never heard of a ticket upgrade. He comes back and says I need to call Brighton to upgrade the ticket. I ask the number (knowing the answer). Yes, it’s the same one but you have to call after 1000 on Saturdays and then the club, not some clueless agency will answer the phone.

Of course, I could queue up, but the club (sensibly) discourage this when I can simply be emailed the ticket.

Why is the club waiting for these phone numbers to be made totally illegal. It has the moral high ground in so many areas, yet when someone simply cannot be completed online, we are forced to ring this rip off phone number.

I apprecaite calls are less from landlines, but I think I’m in the majority now that, outside of work, don’t use a landline any more. My mobile operators 40ppm charge seems typical. It reminds me of these 08 numbers in the 80’s people called to hear someone heavy breathing!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You are not a loyal Albion fan.

We COULD stop charging these commercial rates but that would reduce the budget for players and we'd have to sell Glenn Murray back to Palace.

wealdgull

NSC Patreon
Dec 7, 2017
After digesting all that shite I press 1 as it’s the option I need.

I phoned up yesterday to upgrade my daughter's ticket and it was option 2 for upgrades (1 was for initial sales). Are you sure you listened to all of the shite thoroughly?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I know I’ve moaned before but I’ve just wasted 15 minutes of my life on this number, spend £6 in the process and probably earned the club more than when I give them a fiver for a pint.

Knowing me, I’ll moan again too.....

These numbers are a sham. Even Ryan Air have abaondoned them yet our amazing football club is still a few steps short of amazing when it comes to their insistance on people use premium rate phone numbers, even when there isn’t a sensible alternative.

In the past, the 0344 supporter services number would process a childs upgrade. No more, they know what number you have come through on and refuse to process it.

So today at 0830 I call the 0844 number ot upgrade my kids ticket. We know it’s a number for ticket sales only, so I don’t need to listen to twaddle about rining another number if my query isn’t ticket related.

After digesting all that shite I press 1 as it’s the option I need. Only to be told the line isn’t open until 9am. I could have been told this at the outset.

So, I just call again (0920) and this time I have to wait a good 10 minutes to speak to an operator. Whilst I’m waiting I have voice overs in a Northern accent. No problem with northern accents, but this is Brighton I’m calling.

Then, when the phone is answered, I’m put back on hold as the chaps never heard of a ticket upgrade. He comes back and says I need to call Brighton to upgrade the ticket. I ask the number (knowing the answer). Yes, it’s the same one but you have to call after 1000 on Saturdays and then the club, not some clueless agency will answer the phone.

Of course, I could queue up, but the club (sensibly) discourage this when I can simply be emailed the ticket.

Why is the club waiting for these phone numbers to be made totally illegal. It has the moral high ground in so many areas, yet when someone simply cannot be completed online, we are forced to ring this rip off phone number.

I apprecaite calls are less from landlines, but I think I’m in the majority now that, outside of work, don’t use a landline any more. My mobile operators 40ppm charge seems typical. It reminds me of these 08 numbers in the 80’s people called to hear someone heavy breathing!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I get a bit lost where we are with these prefixes. I thought the law had changed perhaps it was just 0845 numbers. I thought the law said you had to supply a local rate number.

When trying to get my ticket for the T20 final the other week I was told to call Ticketmaster where I was on hold for a long time, when my bill came it cost me over £20. Sham.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I get a bit lost where we are with these prefixes. I thought the law had changed perhaps it was just 0845 numbers. I thought the law said you had to supply a local rate number.

When trying to get my ticket for the T20 final the other week I was told to call Ticketmaster where I was on hold for a long time, when my bill came it cost me over £20. Sham.

7p per minute.

https://www.seagullstickets.com/scr...&page=custom/documents/html/openingtimes.html

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
£31.50 to upgrade a WSU ST from U21 to adult - expensive

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£31.50 to upgrade a WSU ST from U21 to adult - expensive

£38.50 for the United game WSU U-18 -> Adult. I know as I've just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what the Albion charge on my credit card for the day I went on holiday was. You must be in the cheap bit of the WSU.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
£38.50 for the United game WSU U-18 -> Adult. I know as I've just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what the Albion charge on my credit card for the day I went on holiday was. You must be in the cheap bit of the WSU.

Nope, not in the cheap side of WSU yours was U18 this was U21-> Adult

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Unfortunately that won't get you an upgrade. :(. See below.

t1.png

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

They are simply too busy banning flasks.

Joking aside, great post, 100% spot on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My main gripe wouldn't be the cost of the call, although that's highly valid, it's the lack of a joined-up process when the outsourced agency are involved and the "call again but select another option. Oh, but only after a certain time" approach.

The club are completely free to structure this stuff however they see fit, obviously, but fans shouldn't be expected to understand and work around the shortcomings in the club's chosen approach in the way you were. The service offered is a long way from the sleek, professional experience the club professes to offer fans.

And after all that - you should be able to log onto the ticketing system and do this anyway.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
My main gripe wouldn't be the cost of the call, although that's highly valid, it's the lack of a joined-up process when the outsourced agency are involved and the "call again but select another option. Oh, but only after a certain time" approach.

The club are completely free to structure this stuff however they see fit, obviously, but fans shouldn't be expected to understand and work around the shortcomings in the club's chosen approach in the way you were. The service offered is a long way from the sleek, professional experience the club professes to offer fans.

And after all that - you should be able to log onto the ticketing system and do this anyway.

Having been stung by the phone charges previously I now go into the shop when needing an upgrade. Last time I did this (for the Man U game) I posed the same question about the online ticketing system. I was advised it is something they are working on and will be possible "in the near future".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here