• Tidy

Votes: 81 95.3%
  • Messy

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I miss Dan Air when me and my mates were allowed to smoke at the back and chat up the air stewardesses.
Cheap flights, no stupid added costs and everyone having a bit of fun in the departure lounge bar at Gatwick and on the plane, because we were all going on holiday.
Flying, people, and the world in general has certainly changed and for the worse.
So many scumbags, and angry people around these days even though they are off on a family holiday with 2 weeks in the sun.
Don't even get me started about behaviour once you get there.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I miss Dan Air when me and my mates were allowed to smoke at the back and chat up the air stewardesses.
Cheap flights, no stupid added costs and everyone having a bit of fun in the departure lounge bar at Gatwick and on the plane, because we were all going on holiday.
Flying, people, and the world in general has certainly changed and for the worse.
So many scumbags, and angry people around these days even though they are off on a family holiday with 2 weeks in the sun.
Don't even get me started about behaviour once you get there.

[tweet]883437751886004226[/tweet]

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
From someone who knows about these things (a flight attendant friend of mine) the tidiest travellers are the Japanese. The aircraft looks as clean when they deplane as it did when they boarded. And the messiest are the Indians; close behind them are the Arabs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I only fly in business class so I expect for someone to wait on me and tidy away my mess after the flight has arrived

Me too most of the time (work-related), passengers in business are just as bad when it comes to leaving all sorts of crap on the floor.

What gets on my wick is the people lugging big cases onto short-haul flights as hand luggage and then queue to board hours before the flight goes to be first on and then DUMP their luggage in the bins above the early seat rows (yes, where I sit) even though they are sat at the back. Some of the time my 'priority boarding' with BA works but it's usually bollocks as there is a scrum at boarding anyway and the inevitable luggage rage on board as people can't find a space for their 500 litre megacases.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Me too most of the time (work-related), passengers in business are just as bad when it comes to leaving all sorts of crap on the floor.

What gets on my wick is the people lugging big cases onto short-haul flights as hand luggage and then queue to board hours before the flight goes to be first on and then DUMP their luggage in the bins above the early seat rows (yes, where I sit) even though they are sat at the back. Some of the time my 'priority boarding' with BA works but it's usually bollocks as there is a scrum at boarding anyway and the inevitable luggage rage on board as people can't find a space for their 500 litre megacases.

For the sake of a few minutes when I get off a plane I always check in my bag otherwise you have to lug it around the airport with you , just wish the airlines were more strict in enforcing the carry on policy

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For the sake of a few minutes when I get off a plane I always check in my bag otherwise you have to lug it around the airport with you , just wish the airlines were more strict in enforcing the carry on policy

It's not always a few minutes though..........45m wait at LGW or LHR not unusual. I try to travel with hand luggage only when I can now. Work trips up to 5 days (almost all long haul) I can manage with a cabin-sized case and rucksack.

Four of us flying Easyjet on Monday with 4 large cases. Don't know how I'll cope.

Jul 7, 2003

I'm typing this while wearing a Dan Air t-shirt. Was always good back to keep on the good side of the stewardesses. My mate and I used to fly up to Newcastle to visit a friend who had moved up there. On the morning flight with Dan Air you used to get a cooked breakfast. Always found that a happy smiling good morning, how are you, etc to the stewardesses ended up with them offering us a second breakfast as they would only have been thrown away when they got the other end.

As for the carry on luggage argument, I feel sorry for the crew as it is down to the gate staff to make sure people only take on board the right sized luggage. I was on a an EasyJet flight back from Zurich on night when someone walked on with a full sized, shocking pink suitcase. The crew members looked stunned for a second as the woman walked past them before calling out to her to say it would have to go into the hold.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It's not always a few minutes though..........45m wait at LGW or LHR not unusual. I try to travel with hand luggage only when I can now. Work trips up to 5 days (almost all long haul) I can manage with a cabin-sized case and rucksack.

Four of us flying Easyjet on Monday with 4 large cases. Don't know how I'll cope.

If you take the cases in the cabin then I don't know how the other passengers will cope, what is it? £20 xtra to check em?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you take the cases in the cabin then I don't know how the other passengers will cope, what is it? £20 xtra to check em?

I'm usually flying long haul in business class on work trips, so it doesn't matter...........

It's not the cost (in BC I can check in 2 x 23 kg free anyway), it's the time.

Will be checking in luggage on Monday......crossing fingers it'll join us on the flight [emoji23][emoji23]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Haha, Jet 2 are now charging to guarantee cabin baggage on busy flights. Was bound to happen and the sooner they charge for cabin baggage and not hold, the sooner you will see a more civilised boarding procedure with just hand/ man bags being stowed before takeoff.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Haha, Jet 2 are now charging to guarantee cabin baggage on busy flights. Was bound to happen and the sooner they charge for cabin baggage and not hold, the sooner you will see a more civilised boarding procedure with just hand/ man bags being stowed before takeoff.

Is here a link to this story please, I'd like to know more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I've said this before but BA allow a case and a second handbag/man bag/lap top case for all passengers and there's never ever the hassle you have with other airlines like EasyJet. If one airline can do it I don't see why others can't. That said it is an issue so maybe a way around it is to charge as you suggest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is here a link to this story please, I'd like to know more.

Just google Jet2 and cabin luggage....you'll find a few press articles.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This thread reminded me of an email survey I had from Virgin Atlantic this week.

They seem to be considering handing out plastic bags and sanitary wipes to passengers so that they can tidy up after themselves when flying. I think I'm pretty tidy when flying - I don't like lots of mess cluttering up my space, but when disembarking after a flight, it's difficult to not notice the utter mess many other passengers have left behind them.

View attachment 86911

Do you keep things tidy in flight or is it someone else's job to clean up after you?

I am very neat and tidy but I do think asking people to clean up is a cheek. All they want to do is have others do it so they can cost cut on staff. I am with Comrade [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] on this one - Don't want to step on the Unions toes so YES someone else's Job and I hope they get to keep it

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've said this before but BA allow a case and a second handbag/man bag/lap top case for all passengers and there's never ever the hassle you have with other airlines like EasyJet. If one airline can do it I don't see why others can't. That said it is an issue so maybe a way around it is to charge as you suggest.

Not sure I agree - definitely becoming more of an issue on BA flights than it was a few years ago, particularly on domestic/short haul where their fare structures allow people to book cheaper hand baggage only fares (meaning of course loads more is lugged into the cabin).

Flew with Easyjet this week, no issues at all ironically but as it was a holiday flight the vast majority had obviously checked luggage in. It's also a much more pleasant experience with them now they have allocated seating so avoiding the boarding scrum that used to occur. When we checked in we were offered the opportunity to check our hand luggage into the hold for free.

Both airlines are now also regularly offering free checking in of hand baggage at the gate on busy flights in my experience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here