Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield signing EVERYONE...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hey Icy. Nearly all clubs don't complete all their business 3 weeks before the transfer window closes.
Its a myth to suggest otherwise and infer that clubs that do are somehow behind or at a disadvantage.
Here's Hughton's actual quote:
I don’t think it’s a problem saying [we could be making signings in the last 3 weeks of the window] It’s teams in general.
“You have only got to look at the history of the transfer market and the amount of work that is done in the last month.

Agreed, not moaning just stating that we can't expect to be the finished article until a few weeks in to the season, and the club have warned us :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed, not moaning just stating that we can't expect to be the finished article until a few weeks in to the season, and the club have warned us :shrug:

Agreed Icy. And they're right to remind fans. And again. And again.
Because the quality of the players you sign and the overall strength, unity and morale of your squad far far outweighs any (unproven) minor advantages you might gain from signing new players in May, June , July or early August as opposed to the end of the window.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

I think this is the reality of where we are now in the food chain. Unless we want to follow Huddersfield by buying players half of the premier league are not even looking at then we have to wait until the big boys at the top table finish their business then pick off the most desirable scraps. Competition for players at this level is fierce and we are not a club with the finances to throw around silly money either so we will have to play the patient long game. Players can join close to the season start and still be a success after all Knockaert joined us right in the middle of the season and nobody was questioning how long it took him to settle in. Quality players will find their feet quickly no need for panic yet just a realistic view of who we are now competing with for premier league talent.

Johnny Hudds

Jul 6, 2017
Although some of our signings may not look to be too impressive from the outside I think you have to take into consideration that our approach is vastly different from that of yourselves.

Last year Wagner assembled a squad of players who all had something to prove, an extra level to aim for and a desire to overachieve. I doubt yourselves and the other league favourites really looked at our signings back then with any envy. It was the only way we could be competitive without spending above our means.

This year we appear to be using the same strategy of buying players who are all hungry to excel at the next level. In the interviews we keep hearing phrases of being the underdog again and that's exactly what we'll be. We don't go out a buy proven players or experienced pros, instead we have a hard working mentality and we rely a lot on the teams bond and bringing everyone together in order to overachieve.

Last season was an amazing experience. Not just for getting promoted, that was just the cherry on top of the cake, but the way Wagner brought the whole club together was incredible. I've never known a manager and team have such a close connection to the fans as it did and I think that is still an integral part to what we will try and do in this first Premier League season.

Let's hope we both prove the doubters wrong come the end of the season though. I really like Brighton and fingers crossed our fixtures remain at the weekends as I'm fed up with travelling all that way on a bloody week night, as I'm sure you guys are with the reverse journey too!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Must be a huge pay gap between 3 or 4 of the new signings and the rest of the squad at Hudds, they had a very small budget last season.

And the like of Mooy and the new striker etc are not going to turn up for less than 30k a week maybe more... thats going to take some dealing with...

Just like with us, existing squad players with a PL future will be getting huge pay rises.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed Icy. And they're right to remind fans. And again. And again.
Because the quality of the players you sign and the overall strength, unity and morale of your squad far far outweighs any (unproven) minor advantages you might gain from signing new players in May, June , July or early August as opposed to the end of the window.

It's an interesting debate. Come next May, we'll be able to compare and contrast the progress or decline of clubs who either:

Spent big on several acquistions early on e.g. Huddersfield and Everton

OR

Played the very patient game for purported high quality e.g. Albion, Liverpool, Newcastle and West Ham.

Obviously I hope the Albion get this right. I've been waiting since 1983 for the return!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just like with us, existing squad players with a PL future will be getting huge pay rises.

Not so sure we have a huge gap in what anyone earns. Certainly not the contrast that Hudds will now have. We have been paying decent money for a while now, and I doubt the new signings will be on anymore than the likes of Dunk,Stephens, Knoackaert and Murray, certainly not much anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Although some of our signings may not look to be too impressive from the outside I think you have to take into consideration that our approach is vastly different from that of yourselves.

Last year Wagner assembled a squad of players who all had something to prove, an extra level to aim for and a desire to overachieve. I doubt yourselves and the other league favourites really looked at our signings back then with any envy. It was the only way we could be competitive without spending above our means.

This year we appear to be using the same strategy of buying players who are all hungry to excel at the next level. In the interviews we keep hearing phrases of being the underdog again and that's exactly what we'll be. We don't go out a buy proven players or experienced pros, instead we have a hard working mentality and we rely a lot on the teams bond and bringing everyone together in order to overachieve.

Last season was an amazing experience. Not just for getting promoted, that was just the cherry on top of the cake, but the way Wagner brought the whole club together was incredible. I've never known a manager and team have such a close connection to the fans as it did and I think that is still an integral part to what we will try and do in this first Premier League season.

Let's hope we both prove the doubters wrong come the end of the season though. I really like Brighton and fingers crossed our fixtures remain at the weekends as I'm fed up with travelling all that way on a bloody week night, as I'm sure you guys are with the reverse journey too!

Decent contribution - thanks.

Being pedantic, I'd only say that we weren't one of the league favourites - I think our odds had us pegged as play-off challengers. Significantly more fancied than Huddersfield I grant you, but not as fancied as Newcastle, Villa and Norwich for a start.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's an interesting debate. Come next May, we'll be able to compare and contrast the progress or decline of clubs who either:

Spent big on several acquistions early on e.g. Huddersfield and Everton

OR

Played the very patient game for purported high quality e.g. Albion, Liverpool, Newcastle and West Ham.

Obviously I hope the Albion get this right. I've been waiting since 1983 for the return!

by next May. I guess *nobody* will be having a debate about whether we should have strengthened in early July or early August.
it will just about be about the players we bought or didn't or missed out on, Hughton's coaching and how Mooy/Ince disappointed or surprised etc
The v. narrow debate about timings and ensuring you must have it all tied up before a (friendly) ball is kicked is simply forgotten once Albion or anyone else makes their signings whenever or whoever they are and the season begins.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

On the contrary, I think your recruitment has been impressive. (I wouldn't have signed Ince but maybe he'll prove me wrong.) Continuity and strengthening, what's not to like? It's not as though the likes of us and you are going to sign ready made world beaters.

patcham lad

Nov 27, 2009
all these happenings on the premier league transfer market & all the brighton news is Chris O'Grady, Chesterfield sign striker on two-year deal after Brighton exit - we seem to be missing out on all the excitement!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's an interesting one. On the face of it then yeah, Stuart Webber was instrumental to our success last season, however, the majority of players that were brought in were from the German leagues. No one will ever know how much influence he had vs. Wagner, but the way we've cracked on this summer suggests that it was limited.

The fact that Norwich have brought in BVB2's manager implies that Webber is trying to carbon copy. He was the one that brought Wagner over, so we'll always be thankful for that, however, the way that he just dropped us when we started to stall at the end of the season wont be forgotten. He chose to leave out the back door rather than the front and that says a lot about a man. So yeah, will be interesting how it plays out at Norwich this year.

Good luck to you guys too. Had a soft spot for you ever since the 2011 season run-in and looking forward to us both showing up the big boys this year!

Chris Hughton's long time assistant upped sticks and scarpered to Villa quite early in the season, which turned out well for him.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One thing to bear in mind, we only play 3 league games prior to the Transfer Window SLAMMING shut.

Man City (h)
Leicester (a)
Watford (a)

Johnny Hudds

Jul 6, 2017
Decent contribution - thanks.

Being pedantic, I'd only say that we weren't one of the league favourites - I think our odds had us pegged as play-off challengers. Significantly more fancied than Huddersfield I grant you, but not as fancied as Newcastle, Villa and Norwich for a start.

Yeah that's fair, either way I don't think our signings during the last summer window really grabbed anyones attention at the time. They all slipped under the radar and we were still a lot of peoples favourites for relegation and it seems some are already writing us off again.

On the contrary, I think your recruitment has been impressive. (I wouldn't have signed Ince but maybe he'll prove me wrong.) Continuity and strengthening, what's not to like? It's not as though the likes of us and you are going to sign ready made world beaters.

Absolutely, and I too had reservations about Ince. My immediate reaction when he was linked was 'no thanks, he has a poor attitude'. But then I don't really know where I'd got that from. Maybe it was just the family name, I mean, his Dad is a t*** for starters. The more I read the Derby fans comments the more I realised I was wide of the mark. They rated him as their best player with a hard working attitude and as a player who constantly wants to improve. He had poor spells at Hull and Palace who both played football that didn't suit his style but I really think he'll work well under Wagner.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Chris Hughton's long time assistant upped sticks and scarpered to Villa quite early in the season, which turned out well for him.

It's all come right for him though.

Who would want to coach on the Premiership when you can work with an utter legend like John Terry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not so sure we have a huge gap in what anyone earns. Certainly not the contrast that Hudds will now have. We have been paying decent money for a while now, and I doubt the new signings will be on anymore than the likes of Dunk,Stephens, Knoackaert and Murray, certainly not much anyway.

Stephen new contract was in the region of £40k a week. Which is the going rate for first teamers in the lower echelons of the PL.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
by next May. I guess *nobody* will be having a debate about whether we should have strengthened in early July or early August.
it will just about be about the players we bought or didn't or missed out on, Hughton's coaching and how Mooy/Ince disappointed or surprised etc
The v. narrow debate about timings and ensuring you must have it all tied up before a (friendly) ball is kicked is simply forgotten once Albion or anyone else makes their signings whenever or whoever they are and the season begins.

If we get off to a bad start and go down, it will be remembered. Especially if clubs that built their PL sauad early do well.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Agree with this post.

We had a 6 week start over Huddersfield on being certain of promotion. Everyone knows that behind the scenes, in talks with agents and more, transfer business is getting done long before the window officially opens. Huddersfield had absolutely no certainty until the 29th May.

Whether we prefer the Albion model of patience, or the Huddersfield model of getting on with it, theirs gives a full pre season with he enlarged squad.

But to be honest they are buying championship players, not premier league players. Maybe they are doing the Burnley model and take the Sky money and accept relegation and slowly build up the club with parachute money. Hopefully we buy some premier league players, quality not quantity. Time will tell, but rather do it out way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here