Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaron Mooy

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Thoughts from anyone who watched today?

Pretty poor I thought. Slow, unimaginative, too much going backwards, and kept losing the ball far too easily. Reminded me a bit of JFC. I think we should herewith wind down our interest in him, assuming today's performance was anything to go by.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pretty poor I thought. Slow, unimaginative, too much going backwards, and kept losing the ball far too easily. Reminded me a bit of JFC. I think we should herewith wind down our interest in him, assuming today's performance was anything to go by.

Agree, very disappointed and not better than Kayal or Sidwell on that performance (though I do still rate him, but not enough to spend £10m).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He looked very ordinary against a less than stellar German outfit. Pundits picked him up on being "slow" - so not great really.

Still think he is very decent but not worried about whether we can sign as good for the same money or significantly less (I suspect we already have done so with Pascal Gross...).

He was also ordinary in the play off final.

Clearly he's decent, as he's reportedly had a superb season, and it's not fair to judge him on those performances (particularly as he's probably knackered and desperately in need of a break from football). As others have said though, perhaps he's not worth £10m to us (he may well be to Huddersfield, if that makes sense).

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Seems a lot of people are willing to write him off on the strength of a poor performance for Australia.

Might be worth remembering he was one of the best players in the championship last season, rather than the player who is currently not performing to expectations at the end of an extremely long and arduous season, the Championship is known as being tough, a slog even, so not really surprising that performance levels dip at the end of it. It happens to many England internationals every time a tournament comes around, this despite playing 8 games less in the Premier league, or in Mooy's case 11 games less seeing as he played in the play offs too.

Give the guy a break, he proved he's as good as most of our players (if not better) over 46+ games.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A great player who seems to do the simple things easily and like all top players retains the ball well.
He looks a very similar type of player to Dale Stephens. If we had both of them in the team together we would have the luxury of also being able to include a creative flair player to try and unlock the Premier League defences.
I hope we can sign Mooy, he's top quality.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Mooy never had any options forward when he got the ball.
Was better when he was facing the goal rather than with back to goal.
Championship season appears to have caught up with him.
I would buy and if worst was to happen would have the quality to get us back to PL.
Fee not bad in view of others being quoted elsewhere.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Was being played too far up the park in the first half. Second half was deeper and far more influential.

But very tired. Long season plus a lot of international travel has caught up with him.

Tom Rogic is worth more than a look.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I would buy and if worst was to happen would have the quality to get us back to PL.
Fee not bad in view of others being quoted elsewhere.

Thus far it looks to me that we a building a team that can go one better than last season if we end up back in the Championship. I don't see a lot of genuine Premier League class.

Will be interesting to see how competitive that is against the rest of the bottom half of the Premier League. It may be OK. Or maybe not.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
He's on the verge of a big money move somewhere, so don't expect him to be tearing it up for Australia. Probably just doing what he needs to to get through the games unscathed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
According to The Guardian today he is going to cost Huddersfield £17m. If they are prepared to splash that much cash on a player with no Premiershit experience they are either completely mental or desperate.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Transfer Centre Live‏ @TransferCentreL 17h17 hours ago
More
Huddersfield Town are close to agreeing a fee worth in the region of £8m with Chelsea for 20-year-old forward Izzy Brown.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A great player who seems to do the simple things easily and like all top players retains the ball well.
He looks a very similar type of player to Dale Stephens. If we had both of them in the team together we would have the luxury of also being able to include a creative flair player to try and unlock the Premier League defences.
I hope we can sign Mooy, he's top quality.
To me that smacks of playing a 7 man defence.
Mooy and DS would be stood on the toes of the centre backs, possibly even coming between them, as DS finished the season after Duffy's injury.
That in turn is going to leave a hell of a lot of space for the opposition midfield to control.

DS & Kayal worked so well (in Kayal's PotS year) even when frequently outnumbered, because DS did a little bit more of the dirty work, while Kayal did a little bit more of the finesse.

Obviously somethings got to change in the Premier League as being outnumbered isn't an option, I'm just not convinced there's room for two, 2-touch, tackling, 5 yard passers, in the same team.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
You are quite probably right.
It's going to be fascinating watching how Chris Hughton comes up with a cunning plan to stop the big guns while still trying to score goals.
West Brom and Southampton seemed to work out how not to lose (but boring to watch).
Palace under Pardew tried to play attacking football but lost more than they won. I'm glad I don't have the problem of trying to work out a solution.
Like most people I'll just sit back and advise what we should have done after it's happened.

However, I really do hope that even if we are relegated as the bottom side that we stick with Chris Hughton.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
According to todays Argus, Mooy is very interested in Albion, but also feels an allegiance towards Huddersfield

With a bit of luck, he'll stick with his allegiance to Huddersfield and we'll sign a better player. He's not even close to being as good as Beram Kayal and for the money being quoted, he would be a wasteful signing. I would agree that we need another central midfielder because Norwood's not imposing enough, but Kevin Stewart and Aaron Mooy aren't good enough.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
With a bit of luck, he'll stick with his allegiance to Huddersfield and we'll sign a better player. He's not even close to being as good as Beram Kayal and for the money being quoted, he would be a wasteful signing. I would agree that we need another central midfielder because Norwood's not imposing enough, but Kevin Stewart and Aaron Mooy aren't good enough.

Of the two i would also prefer Kayal, but its not either or, its both. Therefore i would still love to sign Mooy, i think he would give us tremendous options in a central midfield 3.

Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell, Gross and Mooy would give us a very strong central midfield next season with lots of cover for injuries, suspension, loss of form etc.

As for the money being quoted, circa £10m, welcome to the premier league, its really not that much these days unfortunately.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Of the two i would also prefer Kayal, but its not either or, its both. Therefore i would still love to sign Mooy, i think he would give us tremendous options in a central midfield 3.

Kayal, Stephens, Sidwell, Gross and Mooy would give us a very strong central midfield next season with lots of cover for injuries, suspension, loss of form etc.

As for the money being quoted, circa £10m, welcome to the premier league, its really not that much these days unfortunately.

I think he's comically overrated by many. It's a fair argument that he made the team of the season but there are often players who are grossly overrated. It's not that long ago Jake Forster-Caskey was a regular starter for the England under-21s and now he's struggling to get into Charlton's midfield.

£10million is still a big chunk of cash, and for a player who has played 1 season it's far too much. I'm no fan of Norwood but in a midfield 3 I'd prefer him to what I've seen of Mooy so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here