Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost the passion?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
OP is an Albion heavyweight more than me or thee will ever be. :bowdown:

It was said in jest, hence the ';-)'...

However, I certainly contributed at the clubs time of need...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
How easy to be smug in hindsight
BTW we have played 5 games out of 46

No smugness from me, just interested to know if Paul's mood has changed at all with the club's apparent statement of intent in the transfer market. Surely a reasonable question when an elder statesman of our club puts such an incendiary thread on NSC?

And thanks for the heads up on the number of games played. I hadn't appreciated that.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Back in April I think Paul was summing up what most of us were feeling. Cheesed off with losing and seeing many players either going through the motions or simply not up to it. I suspect he feels a lot more positive now..we all do.

Football gives us highs and the awful lows that inevitably follow, that's what makes it a fantastic sport. Its like a drug. Win a game and we are on top of the world, lose and we are the worst. Look at each thread after different results.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was a bad season. I get that some people had lost their mojo. I'm just surprised by how many here agreed.

I've just had a look through the thread - you came through with flying colours - a shining light in a sea of piss stained mattresses.

In the unlikely event of Bridcutt, Buckley, Orlandi, SD, Noone, et al, tearing it this season, while The Albion struggles, I'm pretty much done for.

#gettheteambacktogether

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Back in April I think Paul was summing up what most of us were feeling. Cheesed off with losing and seeing many players either going through the motions or simply not up to it. I suspect he feels a lot more positive now..we all do.

Football gives us highs and the awful lows that inevitably follow, that's what makes it a fantastic sport. Its like a drug. Win a game and we are on top of the world, lose and we are the worst. Look at each thread after different results.

Completely agree re the team/play back in April, but I have never felt the "spin" and "sugar coating" he clearly and deliberately made reference to. Am genuinely interested to know if he feels what we are experiencing now from the club is still merely spin and sugar coating.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How easy to be smug in hindsight
BTW we have played 5 games out of 46
It is easy to be smug when you called it right the first time. It doesn't matter that it's only 5 games in. That just shows even more that Albion mojo is more or less 100% determined by what's happening on pitch, and that we shouldn't be so fickle as to announce a loss of passion after just one poor season (out of the previous 5), and blame it on the board.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is easy to be smug when you called it right the first time. It doesn't matter that it's only 5 games in. That just shows even more that Albion mojo is more or less 100% determined by what's happening on pitch, and that we shouldn't be so fickle as to announce a loss of passion after just one poor season (out of the previous 5), and blame it on the board.

The board did get it wrong but then put it right. Nobody will agree employing Hyypia was the right thing to do. Nobody thinks that leaving Burke to set up the Academy and recruitment at the same time was a good idea. That's now been put right.
Everyone gets something wrong on this board, but there is a tendency to put the boot in when you've called it right and someone else hasn't.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The board did get it wrong but then put it right. Nobody will agree employing Hyypia was the right thing to do. Nobody thinks that leaving Burke to set up the Academy and recruitment at the same time was a good idea. That's now been put right.
Everyone gets something wrong on this board, but there is a tendency to put the boot in when you've called it right and someone else hasn't.
True - I've called enough things wrong on here. However, saying something as strong as 'lost the passion' is quite a bit different to saying that you're a bit down about results. It's not surprising that someone bounced this thread.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hopefully he's enjoying this season a bit more than the last one. It seems to me that much of what he wrote about has been addressed and that we're now worthy of our clubs strap line.

#Together

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm struggling to understand why it is so wrong to be happy when things are going well and upset when it's not going well. Why it's so wrong to criticise when signings made turn out to weaken the team, performances drop and so on, then feel pleased when you make decent signings that do the job you expect of them. What exactly do people expect? It's an extension of that "where are the moaners now, eh?" attitude you get after a win that broke a losing streak, as if you expect the people who moaned about poor signings, poor performances to continue to moan when the signings and performances have improved.

My own personal theory is it's relief (but probably on somewhat of a subconscious level, so I'm sure no one will admit it).

Some fans are freer with their worries than others. They feel highlighting issue might see them addressed sooner and so its their obligation as a fan. Then others who feel the same worries, but are scared to admit it, because they feel it would make them a bad fan to be anything other than completely, positively, supportive.

Then it gets turned around and their relief comes out as a gloat (or a not gloating comment that seems a lot like a gloat), that that person now has nothing to moan about (ignoring that they may have had good reason to before), and trying to convince themselves they were never really concerned, because proper fans don't ever doubt (even though the idea of a 'proper fan' is better suited to school ground arguments).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I watched the albion from 1964 we have had ups we have had Downs but I am looking forward to our next game, that's all .

Excellent use of capitalisation :bowdown::lol:

(I'll ignore the other one...)

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Then it gets turned around and their relief comes out as a gloat (or a not gloating comment that seems a lot like a gloat), that that person now has nothing to moan about (ignoring that they may have had good reason to before), and trying to convince themselves they were never really concerned, because proper fans don't ever doubt (even though the idea of a 'proper fan' is better suited to school ground arguments).

That sounds a bit like : I know that you know, that I know that you know ad infinitum :rolleyes:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

That's very good. Have you ever thought about having any of your poetry published MacKensie ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mojos come and mojos go, that is a fact about mojos.

Exactly this.

I've also read back to see what I put and remember the anti modern football rant I delivered fairly well. It was that though - anti modern football. If you asked me three weeks ago to some up #Together I would have come up with something equally despairing and disparaging, On Sunday I wrote it on a scarf I tied to the Toll Bridge.

It sums up how we as a community will get through Shoreham but, now I've had a chance to think about it properly, it represents where we are as a leadership team now.

Through both our transfer activity, the way the old players have started, the way he's conducted himself on both on and off pitch matters and a chat I've had on PM I am more convinced than ever that Hughton will lead us to long term, sustainable success. Try typing those words when you're watching Leon Best and Greg Halford go through the motions. But more to the point I think Bloom, Barber and Hughton are #Together. They are working as a single Senior Management team and that is what had brought the change. IMO Gus worked against the club in his final months while Oscar clashed with Burke and had a very different work ethic to the rest of senior management (he WAS a fantastic coach though). Sami was a risk too far and seemed incapable of working with anyone. I honestly think he'd have turned Vicente shit.

Modern football is still rubbish but we are now winning at it again. And, yes, it's much easier to type that from the top of the league than from the bottom.

Deffo lost the passion with modern football as much as the Albion. The joy of promotion would be dampened by the Albion joining a league i don't want to be a part of. Having spoken to fans of recently promoted clubs they can't wait to get out tbh. Tickets hard to get and a price hike with the team getting tonked most weeks and walking away with £100 just to give the big boys someone to pound in the ring.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe it was reading things like the original post that focussed Bloom and Barber's minds onto ensuring that things weren't the same as last season ?

Yeah, that'll be it :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here