Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What’s this all about then - Albion shirt

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
On your point about sponsorship not being allowed on tv, I cant remember who the goalie was but we were playing Southampton when they had Keegan and it was being recorded for the Big Match. Half way through the first half someone realised that our goalie had a sponsors logo on his shirt and he was made to change it.

This one?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/brighton-and-hove-albion-v-southampton-03-april-1982-86129/

Graham Moseley between the sticks I think. I have the programme somewhere if that is the (Jimmy) case.

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
If memory serves , there was the club had several pre Wembley Cup Final photo shoots in that very kit.
Remember B-Cal we’re sponsors up until 31st May 1983.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I always liked the TSB white away kit. Smart collars, nice material with a design in it, and subtle blur trim - the homes shirts looked like Tesco bags!

There was a report in The Independent back then, that described us as looking like "eleven tesco bags on acid". 25 years on and I'll never forget that line.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I'd love us to be wearing something like this these days. Controversial maybe but never been a fan of the stripes and I've been around a long time. Still love the blue shirts with white arms.

I think the Sandtex stripes were the last half decent shirts. Since then, it's been a calamitous fashion show dahling.

Burn him he’s a witch

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think you're probably right

for some reason I had it in my head that it was Perry Digweed but that would have been the wrong time period

It was indeed Digweed in goal (don't forget he joined us in January 1981) - pic from that game which appeared in the home programme for the Arsenal match a week later:-

DigweedSaints.jpg

And the Arsenal prog also confirms that there was a TVS film crew present:-

SaintsTVS.jpg

Impressive memory - I was at the game and couldn't now tell you a thing about it. :down:

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
It was indeed Digweed in goal (don't forget he joined us in January 1981) - pic from that game which appeared in the home programme for the Arsenal match a week later:-

View attachment 103839

And the Arsenal prog also confirms that there was a TVS film crew present:-

View attachment 103840

Impressive memory - I was at the game and couldn't now tell you a thing about it. :down:

Thanks for that still got it then

I dont remember much else about the game if I'm honest.
I just remember my dad telling me what was happening. We were sat in the South so were right by it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He tells me he got it via the mother of an ex player back in the day. Its definitely authentic Adidas and of its age. I’m guessing it’s a prototype that was made up in preparation for the 83/84 season but was not actually used.

So, who is the ex FA Cup squad player?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I always thought you were the expert on all things on football shirts Phil.

:bowdown: thankyou, and indeed this one was a taxing one. I knew it was genuine, but I hadn’t recalled seeing it in the team photos in the pre cup final period. I’d worked out that it must be a prototype/sample shirt, and then got to searching out the team photo in the cup final program. Interesting stuff though, I guess the player in question snuck one out after the photo shoot, it was his mum who passed it on to a collector I know very well, who lives in Aberdeen. It wasn’t Gordon Smith btw.

So, who is the ex FA Cup squad player?
Not my place to say, but he did play in both finals.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here