Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A few years ago there was an ICE AGE!? You HAVE to be on a wind up. A spoof accpount.

Mate - just an idea, but why don't you (as kids in Northern Ireland said when I was growing up in the 1980's) and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] get a room together and thrash it out together? [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] could perhaps referee from a discrete distance, as he's into that sort of thing evidently.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nah. It is obvious it is a spoof account that spouts nonsense.

Fair enough. For what it's worth [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] once said he went to Bristol Gardens Health Spa in Kemp Town (I remember stuff) so in my opinion, he's an interesting guy.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We need a saviour as a country right now.

p01gfc5y.jpg

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
If that was what people were voting for why did the official Vote Leave literature list three potential options for Brexit, none of which were "Completely Out"?

The options, BTW, were Norway, Switzerland and Turkey.

Yes. Like you said potential options not actual. Another could,might, maybe option.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes. Like you said potential options not actual. Another could,might, maybe option.

But you cannot claim people knew what they were voting for when what you are now claiming they knew they were voting for was never mentioned.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Hardly. So explain why we export so much lamb yet import so much lamb ..... it's nothing short of stupid.

I don't know, could be a number of reasons.
Some years back I knew a pig farmer who exported live animals to Denmark, which were then slaughtered and sold back in Britain as Danish Bacon, they had run a very successful marketing campaign and Danish bacon was in demand, so that was a way of them meeting UK demand.
Could be we Brits like shoulders but can't sell the rest of the carcass so easily here, but maybe some countries like the other cuts more?
Maybe we make a lot of Shepherds Pie ready meals and export those and the Lamb mince in them is counted separately? I know the EU does like to separate the ingredients out under their documentation, so that they can keep track of quota amounts.
Could be a seasonal thing, lambs are born July to September in NZ and Feb to April in the UK, and fatten on for 5 months or so?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's almost as if all those Brexiteers who wanted 'no deal' had absolutely no concept whatsoever of the implications of applying WTO default tariffs to all of Britain's international trade.

Well who would have thought that because it's not as if they are all thick, like some remainers claim :shrug:

Probably starting to realise how lucky they are that it's not going to happen.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fair enough. For what it's worth [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] once said he went to Bristol Gardens Health Spa in Kemp Town (I remember stuff) so in my opinion, he's an interesting guy.

I'm touched that you follow my posts so closely but I'm perplexed as to what this has to do with Brexit ? Plooks is too stupid to even know what you're talking about though .... after all he is the person that has suggested GLOBAL FoM !!!!!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Mate - just an idea, but why don't you (as kids in Northern Ireland said when I was growing up in the 1980's) and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] get a room together and thrash it out together? [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] could perhaps referee from a discrete distance, as he's into that sort of thing evidently.

Get a room with Plooks ? I'm not a paedo you know !!!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Don't fancy addressing any of the facts then?

I thought not :lolol:

Please let us know when you intend to start dishing out facts

It's almost as if all those Brexiteers who wanted 'no deal' had absolutely no concept whatsoever of the implications of applying WTO default tariffs to all of Britain's international trade.

Im loving you digging a bigger and bigger hole for yourself everytime you come out another of your WTO "facts".

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Please let us know when you intend to start dishing out facts

Im loving you digging a bigger and bigger hole for yourself everytime you come out another of your WTO "facts".

A few posters started dishing out facts a week ago when you insisted there would be no difference in trade and made it clear that you had no idea.

why dont you explain what will happen with UK global trade and the WTO if we leave with a no deal scenario.
All you have done is moan that some countries have objected to our schedules.

So here was the explanation I went to the trouble of writing for you to explain some of those facts.

In the event of 'no deal' on 29th March we lose access to three lots of trading agreements -

We lose all trading arrangements with the EU 27 countries and these would revert to WTO default tariffs.

We also lose all other third-party trading arrangements that have been negotiated between the EU and other countries and trading blocs that we currently use and these would revert to WTO default tariffs .

We also lose all WTO schedules and quotas that have been negotiated by the EU with other countries and trading blocs which we currently use and these would revert to WTO default tariffs .

However, it is correct that we can use the WTO default Tariffs.

The EU schedules we currently use, have negotiated tariffs and quotas, which are used as a method of controlling volumes of trade (a quota at one tariff, and then anything over that quota at a second, normally higher tariff). There are no default WTO quotas with which to control volumes, only simple tariffs.

This means that not only will we be charging the highest possible tariffs on all imports, but the EU will start charging us tariffs on all goods exported to them and have no control over volumes.

This is why there is no country in the world that trades solely on WTO default tariffs. Mauritania were the last but has joined the Economic Community of West African States, and it now has preferential trade arrangements with some 20 WTO members (including, I believe the EU).

So anyone who says that there will be no change to trade is quite simply stupid or lying (or, quite possibly, both) :shrug:

But you still didn't understand and insisted, even after these cold hard facts that you thought that we would continue trading with non-existent 'uncertified schedules' with no effect :shrug:

So global trade will continue uninterrupted for us and the EU even though our schedules will be uncertified . Thats what i thought.

So, for your benefit again, here are some facts

Here are some very very simple Facts.

If we were to leave with your preferred 'no deal' on 29th March 2019 these are the tariffs that are in place (ignoring the problems with the rest of the world and just looking at the 27 countries which make up the vast majority of our imports/exports) to try and keep it simple. We won't even start on quotas as that could become complicated.

We go from completely free trade with our biggest economic partner to losing all trading arrangements with the EU 27 countries and these would revert to WTO default tariffs as follows.

Quote Originally Posted by WATFORD zero View Post
The WTO default tariffs (the breakdowns of the various product groups are huge and run to pages and pages, as you can imagine) but in summary

Cereals & Meat - 45-50%
Processed foods - 25%-35%
Clothes - 12%
Footwear - 10%
Vehicles - 9%

How the f*** is putting these tariffs on all international trade (for the EU and all other WTO members) going to 'work out ok in the end' ? (And this is just economically, we haven't even started on the procedures, systems and staff required to manage all these new tariffs).

These are the simple facts to follow your 'refusal to accept facts'.
:

Now I don't know whether you simply don't understand or whether you have your fingers in your ears shouting 'project fear' but, either way, I believe the phrase you like is 'have a hat' :dunce:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
And how would you divide up whose half of the room it was if the mere mention of borders and boundaries would make him faint.

Don't worry, got that covered. The room will come with a cot and playpen. I'll also make sure there is a pram so Plooks can throw his toys out when he realises the playpen stops him from having freedom of movement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tee hee....

brexit.PNG

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...it-rehearsal-tests-traffic-congestion-in-kent

'The Department of Transport had hoped for 150 trucks to take part in Monday’s test , but only 79 turned up, including several from the Eddie Stobart haulage company.'

The Road Haulage Association described the test as “window dressing”, saying it could not be “mimicking the reality of 6,000 trucks” that would be held at the airport in the event of no deal.

79 < 6000

Reality is confusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here