Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Chromebooks

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Grandaughter dropped one of my lap tops. accidents happen, so was looking on cash converters for a replacement. Found a Chromebook running on Google OS. What are the differences and how does it compare with Windows 10 for basic browsing of sites and installing a word processing system to write letters etc.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
One of your laptops? ???

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Grandaughter dropped one of my lap tops. accidents happen, so was looking on cash converters for a replacement. Found a Chromebook running on Google OS. What are the differences and how does it compare with Windows 10 for basic browsing of sites and installing a word processing system to write letters etc.

Go away :moo:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You don't install anything on it - Chromebooks have very little disc space.

I use one for travelling and working remotely: they're very quick to boot and use. They're designed to used remotely, in other words, operating on wi-fi but you can get a Chrome extension to work offline.

I've used one for five years now and only use my Windows or Linux laptops if I have a particular reason to do so - my Chromebook is pretty good.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You won't be able to to do the bit in bold. Essentially you do everything via Google Chrome so, in this instance, using Google Docs (free) or Office 365 (not free).

They tend to have minimal storage so, again, you tend to store everything online rather than on the machine itself.

I'd be more interested in checking out the specific model and how old it is. They are quite often relatively modestly-powered machines, even when launched, so an older one could struggle a bit.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Contrary to common perception, Google Docs works offline on a Chromebook. And most new Chromebooks now have the Play Store already up and running so one can install apps onto them. I believe (though I never use it) a pared down version of Word is available but there's little point as Google Docs is pretty good. For browsing and general word processing Chromebooks are ideal. There's none of the continual 'Windows is installing x number of updates' crap. The boot time is extremely fast and updates take less than a minute and are rolled out usually once a week. If as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] said, the model is quite new then support will last a few years.

I have used Chromebooks now for 3 years at home and work, now I complain if I ever have to use a Windows machine, they seem so unbearably slooow. Oh and battery life is amazing!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Grandaughter dropped one of my lap tops. accidents happen.

Or do they?

Maybe, you know, your family might be trying to tell you something? Like, enough with the gadgets gramps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You won't be able to to do the bit in bold. Essentially you do everything via Google Chrome so, in this instance, using Google Docs (free) or Office 365 (not free).

They tend to have minimal storage so, again, you tend to store everything online rather than on the machine itself.

I'd be more interested in checking out the specific model and how old it is. They are quite often relatively modestly-powered machines, even when launched, so an older one could struggle a bit.

This is the specification given for the Toshiba ChromeBook:

Celeron 1.4ghZ processor, 2gb ram with 16gb ssd. It runs on google chrome os.

I hope this helps.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've got a chromebook.

It's kind of like driving around town in a go kart. Not much in the way of mod-cons, not loads of power, but seriously quick

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is the specification given for the Toshiba ChromeBook:

Celeron 1.4ghZ processor, 2gb ram with 16gb ssd. It runs on google chrome os.

I hope this helps.

I must say that I don't find myself struggling with any Chromebook. The one I use is four years old and works absolutely fine. The only app that I do have a problem with is Chromecast, that's a bit of a pain, but normal web browsing is straightforward

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I must say that I don't find myself struggling with any Chromebook. The one I use is four years old and works absolutely fine. The only app that I do have a problem with is Chromecast, that's a bit of a pain, but normal web browsing is straightforward

Why are you having problems with Chromecast?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've had a Chromebook for 2.5 years (could even be 3.5) and love it. I don't have another PC or laptop. Use it for work and pleasure. Hours and hours of use everyday. Mostly internet surfing, streaming and emails. It's still super quick.

For your needs, it would probably be ideal BG. Mine's a Toshiba too.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If it's this CB then I'd be wary as it's very old :https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Chromebook-13-3-inch-Celeron-Google/dp/B00HRUSWHY

That's unless it's about £50 or something as it may be worth a punt. A CB that age won't receive any updates be they for improvement of the OS or in security.

That's the one I've got. You're right it is a few years old and the price hasn't dropped. Still receive updates though.

If that is the price for the Toshiba though, maybe this would be better:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HJHMCX2?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-1327499220692802286-21&th=1

Processsor: Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350 (2M Cache, 1.10 GHz up to 2.4 GHz)
Memory: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
Display: 11.6" HD 1366x768 Screen
Storage: 32GB eMMC

For 7 quid you can add couple of inches.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Car_tires.jpg
Next laptop, you need to get one of these covers from Amazon, they're quite tough :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's the one I've got. You're right it is a few years old and the price hasn't dropped. Still receive updates though.

If that is the price for the Toshiba though, maybe this would be better:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HJHMCX2?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=trd-1327499220692802286-21&th=1

Processsor: Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3350 (2M Cache, 1.10 GHz up to 2.4 GHz)
Memory: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
Display: 11.6" HD 1366x768 Screen
Storage: 32GB eMMC

For 7 quid you can add couple of inches.
Chromebooks are way too expensive in Europe. I paid top Dollar for a lovely Asus CB that was several hundred pounds cheaper in the states. Usually the support is 5 years, after that it finishes. Even Google has stopped supporting it's own Pixelbooks that are first gen, to much criticism.

I can't find the device [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] mentions. I must be useless at googling! :ffsparr:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Chromebooks are way too expensive in Europe. I paid top Dollar for a lovely Asus CB that was several hundred pounds cheaper in the states. Usually the support is 5 years, after that it finishes. Even Google has stopped supporting it's own Pixelbooks that are first gen, to much criticism.

I can't find the device [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] mentions. I must be useless at googling! :ffsparr:

I went into cash converters then put Camden as my local store then a search for Toshiba CB and it came up with one for £74.49. in Camden.about page 5.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here