Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The worst thing about the Premier League - no decent away ends

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think we're massively spoiled having the Amex. No other club's concourse facilities come close but then it has to be good because of the lack of proper pubs near the ground.

At United I was really annoyed with myself. Having believed the pre match thread on here that said you have to get there early and will get searched every five minutes we actually left a proper buzzing football pub with our northern mates to get to the ground early, only to get straight in with a quick pat down and then spend ages in a queue to get terrible lager from a cage. Next time we'll get there 15 mins before kick off.

However, it can be an old ground / new ground thing I think with crap facilities in the Championship as well. Villa had no booze at all in the upper tier. The view and concourse at QPR is abysmal (though atmosphere is great and it's a proper day out that's one of my favourites). Fulham have shown what can be done with an old ground and is probably the best "big" away day in England. Southampton is a decent away end in terms of view and noise - just horrible to get to by car. Arsenal may be a nice ground with a decent concourse but it's an effing morgue. I'd rather boil my backside than ever give them my money again (unless we go there needing a really big result of course).

I thought it was dead easy getting in and out of Southampton....just parked the other side of the river, 15/20 min stroll and a quick exit. Though West Brom was alright, easy parking, good ‘fanzone’ prematch, good away end, noisy home fans (all ruined last season by a desperate performance).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought it was dead easy getting in and out of Southampton....just parked the other side of the river, 15/20 min stroll and a quick exit. Though West Brom was alright, easy parking, good ‘fanzone’ prematch, good away end, noisy home fans (all ruined last season by a desperate performance).

It's fine if you can get the afternoon off for an evening game. We left Burgess Hill at 4 and crawled all the way from Chchester to Southampton. Got in the ground a minute before kick off to find my mate defending our two "seats" like Custer's Last Stand :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we're massively spoiled having the Amex. No other club's concourse facilities come close but then it has to be good because of the lack of proper pubs near the ground.

At United I was really annoyed with myself. Having believed the pre match thread on here that said you have to get there early and will get searched every five minutes we actually left a proper buzzing football pub with our northern mates to get to the ground early, only to get straight in with a quick pat down and then spend ages in a queue to get terrible lager from a cage. Next time we'll get there 15 mins before kick off.

However, it can be an old ground / new ground thing I think with crap facilities in the Championship as well. Villa had no booze at all in the upper tier. The view and concourse at QPR is abysmal (though atmosphere is great and it's a proper day out that's one of my favourites). Fulham have shown what can be done with an old ground and is probably the best "big" away day in England. Southampton is a decent away end in terms of view and noise - just horrible to get to by car. Arsenal may be a nice ground with a decent concourse but it's an effing morgue. I'd rather boil my backside than ever give them my money again (unless we go there needing a really big result of course).

Boiled backside. I’m sure I’ve eaten this at St John.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I also mean in terms of where they are positioned. Generally right in the corner, often very removed from the action.

The FA should do something about this. There should be a rule that away fans should be positioned behind one of the goals. Always a temptation to put away fans in a corner (like Leicester) or in the upper tier (like Man U) to gain more of a home advantage. Makes for a crap experience. I don't want to hurry back to some places.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The old away end at Spurs was an interesting experience which afforded us the opportunity of luzzing items onto the heads of the home fans as the tier system placed us in the gods.

Selhurst is shit too. The position of the away fans is typically disrespectful and designed to intimidate.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you look at the grounds fans say are 'good' in the PL they are all Championship clubs who are temporally in the PL.
In the Championship it was mostly sit where you want thus getting a better atmosphere. Now it's strictly own seat stuff with fans split into different tiers.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

The owners of The Swan will probably disagree with you!!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Ashley and losing football has killed it. At the Amex when the players come out not fired and we concede a goal or two, all you can here is the bloody away fans.

Worst thing about the PL (and Championship) - the constant long breaks for international football.

If you're not in Europe there just isn't enough competitive football as a Premier team imho.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not enough games at home.

And if you miss a few for holidays etc. Even fewer ��

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The owners of The Swan will probably disagree with you!!

Well they'd be right to disagree to an extent but I did say pubS plural and they don't let in away fans. We've got excellent facilities at the ground whereas these older grounds with poor concourses and views have a big choice of proper football pubs for away fans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would seem like the worst thing about the Premier League is entitled Albion fans slagging off various accepts of the team after a win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here