Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If the EU and the UK are not reasonable enough to ensure a continuation of driving licences or insurances between them, then which ever is the antagonist deserves our indignation, is this a real concern for you ?

An agreement has been reached over licenses and insurance, but we keep hearing that nothing is agreed till everything is agreed, and some suggesting we withhold the settlement money. In that case, it might not happen.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think the economic argument is well covered on these pages, I admit you have to filter out some mudslinging and jibes, but there is no sound economic argument for leaving the EU in the way that is talked about by those leading the charge. If we left to be like Norway, it might work for us better, but that kicks the sovereignty argument hard in the nuts, and the control of borders, and still gives us a border that needs enforcing between NI and Eire.

I always had you down purely on political reasons for wishing to stay in the EU not ecomically, didn't we once discuss the UK's net contributions but you said that our monies were the wider EU's and never was the UK's anyway and we shouldn't appropriate it any other way ?

I think I dobbed out then.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That is because the UK is currently in the EU which has bilateral agreements. When we leave the EU, we will not be in the EU and will not be part of any bilateral agreement.

USA was the crux of my post, I just thought I would let you know that I have lived and worked in the EU :thumbsup:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
An agreement has been reached over licenses and insurance, but we keep hearing that nothing is agreed till everything is agreed, and some suggesting we withhold the settlement money. In that case, it might not happen.

Best tell Dave then ......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I find it hard to accept that the UK would suddenly suffer trade paralysis.

Do you feel this is the case across all sectors? or are there some sectors which will suffer? If the former what do you think will happen to stave off any problems in heavily regulated sectors like aviation, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, energy etc.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
USA was the crux of my post, I just thought I would let you know that I have lived and worked in the EU :thumbsup:

The EU has a bilateral agreement with the USA. If we leave the EU, then we are no longer party to it. This is a fact. Not some fanciful hope that everything will be ok. It wont be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well it doesn't seem to be on the table though it seems that Barnier has already derided it, I suspect it will be like the 'who wants be a millionaire' where she is forced to swipe it back and say, 'you dont wanna have that' (it only works in a Chris Tarrant voice), and she puts an even tougher set of proposals on the table, which seems to point towards a no deal, but who knows.

I think trade will sort itself out
but for me I would expect a clear exit from the auspices of the EU, some vague entanglement in EU regulation to help continued seamless trade in some sectors I doubt would bother me.

****ing Hell.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In business you find solutions, I sometimes wonder what jobs you guys have, you seem averse to change almost as if we are currently in the promised land, lets see if those mentioned continue to worry once we have left, probably not.

If these solutions existed, they'd already be in place on the Swiss/French, Norwegian/Swedish borders, or at the Eastern docks at Dover for the 500 or so non-EU lorries that pass through each day, out of the 10,000+ a day total, where checks/delays take 20 minutes-1 hour, or in place at any other border crossing in the world outside of a customs union.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The EU has bi-lateral Trade Agreements with countries?What a good idea that sounds.Wonder if they would sign one with us?:rotlf:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In business you find solutions, I sometimes wonder what jobs you guys have, you seem averse to change almost as if we are currently in the promised land, lets see if those mentioned continue to worry once we have left, probably not.

With that statement, I am guessing that you have never run or owned an SME. 'Businesses' do not find solutions in the SME market, it is the poor ******** who have put up their houses as collateral, spend ridiculous hours trying to keep their heads above water, devote their lives to building businesses and employ the vast majority of tax paying staff in the UK.

They are the PEOPLE who have to find solutions to Government stupidity. All the senior administrators in large corporates and the politicians who create this shit are safe. How the f*** are you supposed to plan a business, keep the finances running and keep employees (some of whom's whole family will depend on that single income) in work, when you don't know what you are going to be doing and who you will sell to in 7 months time ?

There are currently people losing their businesses, their livelihoods, their families and their lives, because of this farce and you're comments are insensitive, at best.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I always had you down purely on political reasons for wishing to stay in the EU not ecomically, didn't we once discuss the UK's net contributions but you said that our monies were the wider EU's and never was the UK's anyway and we shouldn't appropriate it any other way ?

I think I dobbed out then.

You can't ignore economics. I don't think I have made a point about contributions quite like that, but I do agree that the wealthiest should pay the most for the betterment of all. We do make larger net contributions than most, we are wealthier than most. I see that as fair, though it could be fairer.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Who's the certain supermarket employee among us out of interest you're referring to? I wasn't aware there was one.

Perhaps he's a reporter for 'The Grocer'?Don't want to upset him in case he puts me on double ignore.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You’re asking a rhetorical question, so there’s no need. Say what you want to say, you don’t need me to cue you up.

How's it rhetorical ? I suspect your reluctance to answer is more to do with you realising the only direct vote the Greeks had on the bailout they rejected the bailout.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If you think that 'no deal' is some sort of fallback, then you have been taken in (not for the first time) by some less than honest politicians. It is far more complex, and entails a whole new set of negotiations with various trading blocs (including, of course, the EU). Every other member of the WTO are part of a trade bloc. We will be the only member trying to negotiate independently.

That is also completely ignoring the infrastructure changes needed for us to operate as an independent country.

The costs and lead times of the various negotiations and infrastructure meant that it would have been a tough job to get it in place if we had started the day after the referendum.

Absolutely the UK should be capable to implement anything required to operate as an independent country, if it's a tough job then so be it, that to me doesn't seem an immediate reason not to have voted leave, nor a reason to say we have been duped.

If we are currently running to near capacity in terms of our infrastructure, then it shouldn't be insurmountable to continue to do it after exiting, you have identified timing issues, well we will see but this isn't the priority for me nor should this effect the eventual withdrawal from happening.

As for trade you can find economists that feel it problematic and those that don't, likewise Remainers cannot see anything other than problems in just about anything whilst they look at Brexiteers as either eternal optimist (basically daft) or more likely just thick.

I think the UK will remain a strong and progressive trading nation outside of the EU and don't immediately see the disadvantage of being an independent trading nation as opposed to being in a wider bloc, why wouldn't a recipient country to the UK of trade of goods and services not quickly and decisively agree to a continuation of trade if it is mutually beneficial ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
With that statement, I am guessing that you have never run or owned an SME. 'Businesses' do not find solutions in the SME market, it is the poor ******** who have put up their houses as collateral, spend ridiculous hours trying to keep their heads above water, devote their lives to building businesses and employ the vast majority of tax paying staff in the UK.

They are the PEOPLE who have to find solutions to Government stupidity. All the senior administrators in large corporates and the politicians who create this shit are safe. How the f*** are you supposed to plan a business, keep the finances running and keep employees (some of whom's whole family will depend on that single income) in work, when you don't know what you are going to be doing and who you will sell to in 7 months time ?

There are currently people losing their businesses, their livelihoods, their families and their lives, because of this farce and you're comments are insensitive, at best.

Insensitive, some of the bile (from both sides) on a comment saying 'I sometimes wonder what you guys do for a job', you must be beside yourself when you see your chums ridicule Brexiteers from Stoke and their uneducated chums, do me a favour.

FWIW I have been self employed running my own small businesses all my adult life, that's from 80's up to now, use your imagination on what as a small businessman I might have personally experienced.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Absolutely the UK should be capable to implement anything required to operate as an independent country, if it's a tough job then so be it, that to me doesn't seem an immediate reason not to have voted leave, nor a reason to say we have been duped.

If we are currently running to near capacity in terms of our infrastructure, then it shouldn't be insurmountable to continue to do it after exiting, you have identified timing issues, well we will see but this isn't the priority for me nor should this effect the eventual withdrawal from happening.

As for trade you can find economists that feel it problematic and those that don't, likewise Remainers cannot see anything other than problems in just about anything whilst they look at Brexiteers as either eternal optimist (basically daft) or more likely just thick.

I think the UK will remain a strong and progressive trading nation outside of the EU and don't immediately see the disadvantage of being an independent trading nation as opposed to being in a wider bloc, why wouldn't a recipient country to the UK of trade of goods and services not quickly and decisively agree to a continuation of trade if it is mutually beneficial ?

Ok, specifically for a 'no deal' by 29th March 2019 we have to

Negotiate our WTO submission with any member who raises issues in the next 90 days.
We have to build a border and customs posts in Northern Ireland
We need to build the lorry parks at Dover and the other ports
We need to design, test and build the IT systems to run the newly negotitiated WTO rules and Tariffs
We we will need to recruit and train all customs and administrative staff to run the WTO processes and systems

Now look at your statements above.

I particularly like if it's a tough job then so be it,

Can you see why people think that you and other Brexiteers are avoiding or ignorant of the issues ?

An hour ago, you weren't even aware of the issues as you didn't know what was required to trade under WTO

You're being daft, I am being honest, I cannot know and you certainly can't.

The next day, as I understand it we would be on WTO terms wouldn't we ?

Are you saying this will make our economy crash ?

If so I will counter that by saying I don't think it will .......

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Interestingly it overcome the referendum ok didn't it ?

Yours could be a post from pre June 2016, it's another example of you not seeing a positive outcome no matter what.

I stand corrected if a little confused. However, it's a bit like the Alamo for you today so well done for sticking to your guns (even if they are sometimes aimed at your own foot).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here