Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This is true, but non EU, non EMA Switzerland has the highest prices.

No sh** Sherlock?Think the only cheap thing in Switzerland is the snow!:lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Also although the UK economy is performing better than expected its performance is the worst of the top 7 world economies the UK exports have been hugely helped by the low value of GBP combined by suppressed wages

It always intrigues me how you include the current rate of sterling as somehow a disqualifying factor on growth, we saw it with the markets when you were unable to forecast historic highs after your prediction of a crash.

Might it be that sterling is at a more appropriate level for the UK's economy and needs to stop being used as an excuse for growth and more being seen as a positive reason for it, you rarely see Germany's generally accepted undervaluation of the euro cited as an excuse for their consitent economic success, so why the UK and why sterling ?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It always intrigues me how you include the current rate of sterling as somehow a disqualifying factor on growth, we saw it with the markets when you were unable to forecast historic highs after your prediction of a crash.

Might it be that sterling is at a more appropriate level for the UK's economy and needs to stop being used as an excuse for growth and more being seen as a positive reason for it, you rarely see Germany's generally accepted undervaluation of the euro cited as an excuse for their consitent economic success, so why the UK and why sterling ?

You won't get any positivity from this lot with anything with regards to the UK. The slightest chance to knock it and they're on it like the clap

larus

This morning from Mark Carney...

The economy is now about 1 percentage point smaller than it would have been had the 2016 EU referendum gone the other way, and that the gap will widen to about 2 percentage points by the end of the year. That’s equivalent to tens of billions of pounds in lower economic activity, and the question is how to make that up by growing above potential, he said.

Brexit dividend for the NHS eh Boris?

So this is from Mark Carney who predicted a technical recession in the event of voting to leave. Yep, I really trust his judgement on things.

Please enlighten me, exactly when is the imminent recession (predicted on the outcome to VOTE to LEAVE and not on the EVENT of LEAVING) going to happen. Is 20 odd months not enough of a timescale to be IMMINENT?

Just asking like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So this is from Mark Carney who predicted a technical recession in the event of voting to leave. Yep, I really trust his judgement on things.

Please enlighten me, exactly when is the imminent recession (predicted on the outcome to VOTE to LEAVE and not on the EVENT of LEAVING) going to happen. Is 20 odd months not enough of a timescale to be IMMINENT?

Just asking like.

Mark Carney who single-handedly saved the country from economic meltdown with his astute handling of post referendum Britain. He also saved Canada from the global recession ten years ago. Lucky to have him.

larus

Also although the UK economy is performing better than expected its performance is the worst of the top 7 world economies the UK exports have been hugely helped by the low value of GBP combined by suppressed wages

Tell you what, why don’t you go to a site called www.xe.com and look at the 5 year and 10 year history of the US$/STL exchange rate and tell me if this is somehow outside the bounds of the long term trading range.

The reality is the long term range for the dollar is maybe 1.55-1.60. For the Euro, it’s maybe 1.25-1.30.

Current levels of STL are a little lower than that but within 10% of the long term average, so this is far from “OMG, we’re f*cked” a the remainers want us to believe. The reality is, life goes on, trading goes on, the economy goes on.

larus

Mark Carney who single-handedly saved the country from economic meltdown with his astute handling of post referendum Britain. He also saved Canada from the global recession ten years ago. Lucky to have him.

Wow, you really are deluded. You mean that 0.25% cut to interest rates which exacerbated the falls in sterling and is widely acknowledged to have been a mistake.

Yes, my gratitude to his incompetence is limitless.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

If only BoE governors wielded such power and expertise and why didn't you have this much faith in him when you posted 'U.K. economy is tanking, the pound is collapsing, unemployment rising' not a mention of Carney then, how dare he allow the UK economy to 'tank' on his watch, the fantasy land of [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] isn't a very consistence world.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If only BoE governors wielded such power and expertise and why didn't you have this much faith in him when you posted 'U.K. economy is tanking, the pound is collapsing, unemployment rising' not a mention of Carney then, how dare he allow the UK economy to 'tank' on his watch, the fantasy land of [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] isn't a very consistence world.

I have utter faith in him but he can’t perform miracles, silk purses and sows ears etc. He’s doing an amazing job dispite everything which is thrown at him. I dread to think where the UK would be in lesser hands.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I have utter faith in him but he can’t perform miracles, silk purses and sows ears etc. He’s doing an amazing job dispite everything which is thrown at him. I dread to think where the UK would be in lesser hands.

He needs to be more neutral on the subject rather than sniping away making a pigs ear of every prediction has made since Brexit. A little more positivity from him might help his cause. He cannot keep disregarding all the good news with his head in the sand

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He needs to be more neutral on the subject rather than sniping away making a pigs ear of every prediction has made since Brexit. A little more positivity from him might help his cause. He cannot keep disregarding all the good news with his head in the sand

Hmmmm sounds like someone .......................

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

So you have made him your 'get out of jail free card', where he magically keeps the UK economy on course disqualifying any notion of genuine gains and when you see a snippet of bad economic news you can exaggerate its merits, very good.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To be fair, the Global economy has outperformed all expectations, we are getting carried with it.

It's very noticeable on this thread the following from the remainers :

Positive news = ah, it's outside influences, nothing to do with the UK doing well. Besides it would have been even better without Brexit.
Negative news = that's because all you little Englanders voted Leave and you were too stupid to realise what would happen
Some commentator / politician says something hinting at a 'soft Brexit/ not leaving = oh see, we keep telling you Brexit won't happen
Some commentator / politician states we're leaving the customs union etc = that's not what was voted for and besides said commentator is a liar and incompetent

And then let's not forget the sickly backslapping between The Clamp, HT, Nico and Man of Sussex whenever they get a glimmer that Brexit won't happen. Oh I wish I could a be fly on the wall when it does.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's very noticeable on this thread the following :

Positive news = ah, it's outside influences, nothing to do with the UK doing well. Besides it would have been even better without Brexit.
Negative news = that's because all you little Englanders voted Leave and you were too stupid to realise what would happen
Some commentator / politician says something hinting at a 'soft Brexit/ not leaving = oh see, we keep telling you Brexit won't happen
Some commentator / politician states we're leaving the customs union etc = that's not what was voted for and besides said commentator is a liar and incompetent

And then let's not forget the sickly backslapping between The Clamp, HT, Nico and Man of Sussex whenever they get a glimmer that Brexit won't happen. Oh I wish I could a be fly on the wall when it does.

And if in doubt just call them evil Tory *****.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Funny. I see him as a saviour and totem of the truth.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It is ridiculous that he manages to get these senior positions despite his incompetence whilst true economic geniuses such as yourself are reduced to trolling football forums ???

I shall remind the next remainer of your statement above next time one of them suggests that DD is incompetent etc etc .....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I shall remind the next remainer of your statement above next time one of them suggests that DD is incompetent etc etc .....

Over the years I have had dealings with a number of senior politicians and have yet to come across a front bencher who is stupid or incompetent. There's always reasons behind them doing what they do.

I can think of other words to describe them, but stupid MPs (of which there are a number from all sides) don't make the front benches.

(If you find a post of mine to the contrary, I was drunk!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here