Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ed Joyce stands down as Sussex captain...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I am told another plus is that Magoffin becomes 'English' next season which will allow them to bring in another foreign player.

Magoffin - that was supposed to happen in July but the paper work was messed up. Which pretty much sums up Sussex's season.

On Wright - I guess it makes up for laughably appointing Nash as skipper of 2014 T20 team over Wright.

I reckon it would have been the final straw for Luke if he was overlooked this time. About time his superior talents were properly recognised

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the logical decision, he is 30 so has the experience and, hopefully, the maturity to be a good captain. I'm happy with this news.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Magoffin - that was supposed to happen in July but the paper work was messed up. Which pretty much sums up Sussex's season.

On Wright - I guess it makes up for laughably appointing Nash as skipper of 2014 T20 team over Wright.

I reckon it would have been the final straw for Luke if he was overlooked this time. About time his superior talents were properly recognised

I hope we don't bring in another foriegn player....I'd rather have some hungry player from somewhere who wants to make a name and career for himself rather than someone who just comes for a payday!!

If we are going to rebuild, lets not get old and battered players but go for the young players who couldn't get a chance elsewhere at other counties or even our own lads?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I hope we don't bring in another foriegn player....I'd rather have some hungry player from somewhere who wants to make a name and career for himself rather than someone who just comes for a payday!!

If we are going to rebuild, lets not get old and battered players but go for the young players who couldn't get a chance elsewhere at other counties or even our own lads?

Easy to take the high ground but....we are desperate for a solid opener and an overseas player is the best source. Who else would you have in mind as a home-grown or domestic import?

As someone who endured the purgatory of all four days at Headingley, the priority must be to smash Div 2 next year, by whatever means. Luke is my favourite player and a smashing bloke. I just hope he is not too nice to be a great captain.

PG

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Easy to take the high ground but....we are desperate for a solid opener and an overseas player is the best source. Who else would you have in mind as a home-grown or domestic import?

As someone who endured the purgatory of all four days at Headingley, the priority must be to smash Div 2 next year, by whatever means. Luke is my favourite player and a smashing bloke. I just hope he is not too nice to be a great captain.

PG

Nash & Joyce?

I agree the batting has been ropey to say the least but I would rather see the likes of Salt & Finch getting more games than some 1 season overseas player. On the flip side if the overseas player was another Murray Goodwin and was here for the long term, I agree that is what would be needed.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Nash & Joyce?

I agree the batting has been ropey to say the least but I would rather see the likes of Salt & Finch getting more games than some 1 season overseas player. On the flip side if the overseas player was another Murray Goodwin and was here for the long term, I agree that is what would be needed.

I would hope the overseas player is a spinner, as we let any decent ones slip through the net, so to speak.

However, on the basis there has been a lack of batting coaching, expect Finch et al to have the same flaws as Machin, Well etc.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is the logical decision, he is 30 so has the experience and, hopefully, the maturity to be a good captain. I'm happy with this news.
He is the only choice, the last chicken in the shop. The only other alternative was to have headhunted a decent captain or vice-captain and paid out compo, and Sussex are too tight for that.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I see from his Twitter profile, that Nic 'The Greek' Pothas is now wicket keeping and batting coach at Sussex.

Only taken about 5 years to get a batting coach in...

Did he not have a few sour words to say about Sussex in days gone by.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Danny Briggs signed from Hampshire.....good addition IMHO

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
However, on the basis there has been a lack of batting coaching, expect Finch et al to have the same flaws as Machin, Well etc.

But they're not the same flaws. The question needs to be asked as to why Wells, in a test trial just two seasons ago, can't get into a relegation-bound team? He clearly has ability and the concentration (he's played several long innings) but things aren't right; he nearly left last year and someone needs to get him back on track.

Machan has the talent but can't play long innings, he needs to temper his aggression with some circumspection, I think he's nearly there - scoring just short of 1000 runs in a first full season is a decent start.

It's last chance for Finch though - he made his F/C debut three years ago and can't get more than the odd game. If he's going to make it, he has to do it next season. I was impressed with Salt when I saw his brief knock in the one-day game; he got over-excited and played a rash hook but had looked solid. Like to see him get a F/C game or two.

Briggs is a decent signing - another one in Sussex's attempts to get bowlers back on track. We have a good record doing that - let's get our batsmen doing the same

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Briggs, Magoffin, Jordan, Shahzad (Mills)

Looks like a decent attack with Beer, Hobden, Hatchett and Robinson in reserve. Add one experienced batsman (and coach) to the squad and I think we'll be very competitive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here