Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video of the WSL incident

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Not surprised in the slightest at the over-zealous stewarding. Why have a quiet word and take a seat number when you can send six stewards along and escalate the whole thing? Madness.

This club has gone to the dogs, it really has. Have a £7 pie and a cold, half portion of chips. Take your seat early and enjoy the match day experience in silence.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am in the video as I sit just in front of him. What happened was he stood up at had a real go at Hyppia and Jones calling for them to be sacked. Paul Watson, the ex player and physio, started having a go back so the lad said that he hoped he got sacked too. This then lead to Watson coming over to him swearing his head off and offering him out and a scuffle followed, quickly dispersed by stewards. All calmed down and the stewards could be seen having a mothers meeting involving managers and supervisors and after about 5 to 10 minutes about 8 to 10 stewards marched up the steps and tried to grab him out. One women steward totally lost the plot and started to yell at matey. It then, very quickly turned into the melee you see on the video. The lads dad and brother got involved and ended with the lad being jumped on by 5 stewards. He had by now totally lost the plot. The whole incident was initially caused by Paul Watson totally unprofessional behaviour and then by inept and dangerous stewarding.
Having sat near the guy since Amex opened he can be mouthy however on this occasion the stewards went totally over the top and Watson should be reprimanded for his part. No doubt he will now be banned, it would seem that as fans we are now no longer able to have an opinion!
Symptomatic of the current malise at the club!

pretty much sums up what I saw sitting just a bit further down in the same row.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Well then if that lad gets banned then so should Paul Watson if that is true, used to love him as a player but there's no excuse for that unprofessionalism... But of course that won't happen as it's plain to see how cliquey and up it's own arse this once proud club has become.

Pretty much tow the line or piss off these days.

Sad times.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Just realised I went to school with the "offender" - nice guy actually, surprised to see it was him. Gobbing off or not, in the grand scheme of things he hasn't killed anyone, people do get emotional at the football. But punches thrown by stewards, Jesus :nono: Jobsworth twats, what's the reckoning none of them get reprimanded or lose their jobs though?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Just realised I went to school with the "offender" - nice guy actually, surprised to see it was him. Gobbing off or not, in the grand scheme of things he hasn't killed anyone, people do get emotional at the football. But punches thrown by stewards, Jesus :nono: Jobsworth twats, what's the reckoning none of them get reprimanded or lose their jobs though?

Report them to the SIA and they will lose their licences

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I noticed that. Should be reported. You can't be doing that if you're a steward.

From my experience that is an accepted part of steward behaviour. The club don't seem worried about such actions but I'd imagine that if the supporter got the upper hand then they would come down extremely hard. That particular supporter will be experiencing the full force of 'customer relations' BHAFC/PB style right now.

Oct 11, 2005
London
BANNED FOR LIFE!?

****ing hell. This club is losing it.

Exactly my thoughts.. What the hell is going on at our club these days? They seem to be trying to alienate us in any way possible - could be interesting next season in League One with crowds of 8-10k in the Amex.. Bloom would have to sell up fast I'd imagine.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Looks like handbags to me... The Stewarding at the Amex is well over the top to be honest, it was one of the reasons I didn't renew this season. Witnessed a bloke behind us at the Peterbough game a couple of seasons back get dragged out the stadium and humiliated infront of his girlfriend and the fans around us for having his leg up on one of the seats (stand was 1/2 empty) The steward said 'You wouldn't do that at home would ya mate?' and the bloke moved his leg off the seat and said 'I'm not at home though am I mate" He then got mobbed by 4 or 5 stewards and dragged out the ground.

The steward who instigated it had the audacity to come back to the girlfriend 15 mins later and asked her if she needed a lift home. Utter bellend. After the game my brother lit up a ciggy just outside the exit and this gimpy looking steward grabbed him and tried to take him inside to his manager. He was saying my brother lit it 2 inches within the amex exit (which was a total lie) and went to get his boss. His boss came over and just laughed and told us not to worry about it.

I can understand football grounds need stewarding and security, but the ones I've encountered at the Amex have been itching for an excuse to be the center of attention and treat fans like school kids. On top of everything else going on with the club at the moment I really can't be doing with the Amex at the moment. I still follow the Albion religiously on the Radio/Streams and do away games when I can, but having trouble buying into all the bullshit that goes with the Amex. Feels too sanitized and corporate for my liking. We get to see the real Albion support and atmosphere at away games, it's ridiculous that it almost the complete opposite to our home support and must affect the players hearing the same, half assed drone of 'Albionnnnnnnnnn' every 20 mins.

Expect to get a couple of thumbs down but just saying how I see it.

Great post.

I thought the stewarding had improved since Chris Baker was off'd earlier in the season. Chris was an incredibly pompous and arrogant tw*t who seemed to enjoy riling supporters and ruining the atmosphere; he epitomised the new breed of employee at the Amex. The north has improved in my opinion immediately after his departure, less grief about standing etc. Unfortunately it seems that the old stewarding habits die hard based on that video though.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
BANNED FOR LIFE!?

****ing hell. This club is losing it.

He'll be banned for a long long time. There have been ten match bans handed out for absolutely nothing so I wouldn't think he'd be back before next season if at all. You only see the true culture of the club when things go wrong; it will be really interesting to see how he gets on.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Life Bans. Stewards and Physios losing jobs. Come on fellas..Our feelings and wishes regarding Hyppia and Burke are one thing but life changing it was not and should not be.

The equilibrium between fan and club is lost at the moment but perhaps this represents a no-brainer opportunity for PB to personally take charge of this one and restore a bit of that.

1. A three way apology.
2. Rap on the knuckles and a bit of retraining for Steward #1
3. The lad takes a two game ban on the chin as recognition that he over-stepped the mark.
4. PW offers to turn out in the next REMF match.

Just a thought.

Great suggestion. Email Barber - no doubt you'll be responded to with a 4 page sermon about zero tolerance to customers getting excited within sight of the football pitch.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm going to wade in now and say something that will stun the plebs.

Even the 1901 aren't being spared the knobbish behaviour of over zealous stewards. At the Millwall game a friend of mine on back row of a 1901 seat stood up to see what was going on further down in the LW. She (late 40s and not exactly what you'd call 'thuggish'!!) was very rudely accosted by a steward told very aggressively 'to sit down now, we're been watching you and any more trouble she'd be thrown out.' Again, this for momentarily standing up during play (good job we're so crap and can't score because the implication here is we can all be banned when celebrating!)

She didn't take kindly and gave what for back (followed the albion since 70s home and away etc). She later received an apology but really it's left a nasty taste in the mouth because you feel so outraged on top of the crap performances, crap catering and now crap handling all at top dollar in 1901 that even lifers are thinking feck you Albion, I'm not renewing next season. The club really doesn't know how much goodwill they're burning at the moment. Clueless.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I'm going to wade in now and say something that will stun the plebs.

Even the 1901 aren't being spared the knobbish behaviour of over zealous stewards. At the Millwall game a friend of mine on back row of a 1901 seat stood up to see what was going on further down in the LW. She (late 40s and not exactly what you'd call 'thuggish'!!) was very rudely accosted by a steward told very aggressively 'to sit down now, we're been watching you and any more trouble she'd be thrown out.' Again, this for momentarily standing up during play (good job we're so crap and can't score because the implication here is we can all be banned when celebrating!)

She didn't take kindly and gave what for back (followed the albion since 70s home and away etc). She later received an apology but really it's left a nasty taste in the mouth because you feel so outraged on top of the crap performances, crap catering and now crap handling all at top dollar in 1901 that even lifers are thinking feck you Albion, I'm not renewing next season. The club really doesn't know how much goodwill they're burning at the moment. Clueless.

1901 or WSL, we all breathe in the same air, we all , in comparison, pay top dollar......why should 'a lady in her late 40's' be treated any different ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
1901 or WSL, we all breathe in the same air, we all , in comparison, pay top dollar......why should 'a lady in her late 40's' be treated any different ?
All she did was stand up!? Think you're missing the point

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Totally missed the point. Stay behind after class. :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here