Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why am I not at No. 1 on Google?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Finished a site for an 'Oven Cleaner' a few weeks ago and he emailed me the DAY AFTER it'd gone live complaining that he wasn't number on the Google rankings for 'oven cleaning'.

He is now refusing to pay as HE was under the impression that this is how websites work. Says he'll pay me when he is first on Google otherwise 'what's the point?'...

Some f**king people.

Rant over. Feel better now!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
How would having a website instantly make you first on google.

Bloke sounds like a complete ****. how much does he owe you roughly... ball park figure?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Take the site down?

is the right answer. unless you made any claims to rankings, tell him to pay or it goes off line. give him a couple of weeks (making sure to generate some traffic in that time to show the error of his ways :) )

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Explain how it works, and take the site down, until he's paid you :smokin:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I've taken it down.

The bad news is he owes me about £300 quid. The good news is that the site didn't take long to sort luckily.

Written off as a bad experience. Don't have too many so all OK.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
It's a very common problem for web designers I think. A lot of folks think that a new website means guaranteed orders without any work.

I have designed some real Google ratings success stories but the common factor is these people really work at their sites.

D

Deleted member 22389

Finished a site for an 'Oven Cleaner' a few weeks ago and he emailed me the DAY AFTER it'd gone live complaining that he wasn't number on the Google rankings for 'oven cleaning'.

He is now refusing to pay as HE was under the impression that this is how websites work. Says he'll pay me when he is first on Google otherwise 'what's the point?'...

Some f**king people.

Webdesign is a frustrating business to be in. The problem with people is that they get poisoned by other peoples opinions, when those people who dish out this advice know **** all about it really.
If you asked them to build a database driven website they wouldn't know where to start.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
It's a very common problem for web designers I think. A lot of folks think that a new website means guaranteed orders without any work.

I have designed some real Google ratings success stories but the common factor is these people really work at their sites.

You had BETTER make my website No. 1 on Google. :rant:

*joking

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
The self-centredness of some people in post Thatcher's Britain is overwhelmingly unacceptable.

A grand don't come for free.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
We got shafted for £5k. A directory site thought he was going to rank number 1 for all his categories even though we clearly state it wasn't possible.
Then got some "SEO expert" who claimed it was possible and we had over charged for the website :rant: and he would build a better one for them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Some f**king people.

Did your site include a fluffy penguin and a shite whiney tune? If not, why not? ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here