Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I don't agree. Surely if Bong has made the allegation, the ref needs to include that in the report even if he didn't witness an offence?

He may well have done. I don’t believe the contents of the report have been made public. However something happened that concerned him enough to include it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's remarkable is that many West Brom fans are "playing the Cyrille Regis card", to use language that they seem to understand.

Cyrille Regis, and other trailblazing black footballers, were not able to state that they believed they had been racially abused. They had no choice but to turn the other cheek and move on. Until it happened again. And again.

Would Cyrille Regis want modern-day black players to report racist abuse, if they believed it had happened, or just accept it as "part of the game" as he had to?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
You can understand why most footballers are reticent about reporting these types of things. It’s been an absolute shitstorm, with horrible abuse thrown at both players (although surprisingly it’s Bong who seems to have copped most of the flack).

The tragedy is that it's not that surprising at all. Scratch the surface and all that.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What board is it you moderate?

Screenshot_20180209-182514.png

http://www.wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
thought that might come up, in the ref's ear all game . Could well have made comments which went unnoticed

What has that got to do with racism? There's loads of players who are in the ref's ear every game, but what quite that has to do with the potential to make racist comments I'm not quite sure.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
- thats not an actual suggested transcript is it? I don't believe I've seen anywhere the actual words alleged to have been said.

You may just have nailed it.

We only know what the ''Party Line'' given to the Media has been and the wording given to the Press is conceivably a wording with not too dissimilar a meaning. I am inclined to believe that the wording may have been more graphic but none of us will ever know until there is a ''hearing'' what the exact wording was.

Bong wouldn't drive this if it wasn't true and Brighton would not back him if they didn't believe it to be true.

Rodriguez has been charged based on evidence submitted to the Football League. If he wants to challenge it, he and his lawyers can come to the Tribunal and present his defence

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Interestingly Dunk was next to them in the incedent and he spoke to the ref who kept telling Dunk to go away, so Dunk could have witnessed all of it

The referee also consulted the fourth official. I know he was on the opposite side of the pitch, but maybe the assistant ref had said something into his microphone.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Like everyone else on this board I've no idea if Rodriguez did actually say what was alleged but I think I'm with you in giving Rodriguez the benefit of the doubt on the basis that it's not just a case of "I'd never say that because some of my best friends are black". He's not got any history of this, he appears to have the backing of the black players in his team who give him a glowing character reference in that regard and he's fully aware that it would ruin his career and the words he's alleged to have said are odd to say the least. I know people say that things can be said in the heat of the moment but I'm sure most of us have had arguments with people from other backgrounds and not resorted to racism.

I'm sure Bong heard what he alleges and as I say I think it's a case of him mishearing but even if he did hear correctly, I can't work out for the life of me what this charge can hope to achieve because it's one man's word against another. I haven't heard anyone else saying they heard the conversation so if they find Rodriguez guilty on that basis then it would be a travesty of justice. His reputation would be in tatters.

I agree that i cant believe the fa would charge someone purely on a persons word. That they didnt charge lukaku for kicking bong indicayes what their threshold seems to be.

But until it goes to the fa hearing nobody knows what the fa believe they have. Im sure the player and his reps will have the chance to challenge the evidence

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Pitch side microphones pick up more than most suspect.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If I walked up to Bong in the street and made a racist comment he would have every right to report me to the police.

So, as the FA have charged Rodriguez with an alleged racist comment, and to do that you would assume that they have evidence passed by their lawyers, why has this matter not been passed to the police to investigate?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here