Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hemed has scored 5 times as many as Baldock, but you decide to criticise HIM? (2.5 times if you're of a mind to donate own goals to Baldock, because he claimed it)

I'm not criticising him. I don't think he's a natural finisher but he's out there wearing the stripes and gets my full support for as long as that is the case. And, as I say, he works bloody hard.

If I was going to criticise anyone, it would be our recruitment team for not providing a 20-goal a season striker that could make all the difference. I'm not even doing that though because I appreciate that unless you have ridiculously deep pockets, it's a difficult thing to do

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Baldock good midfielder not a good striker, works hard and creates but is def NOT a striker

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not criticising him. I don't think he's a natural finisher but he's out there wearing the stripes and gets my full support for as long as that is the case. And, as I say, he works bloody hard.

If I was going to criticise anyone, it would be our recruitment team for not providing a 20-goal a season striker that could make all the difference. I'm not even doing that though because I appreciate that unless you have ridiculously deep pockets, it's a difficult thing to do

Recently Baldock hasn't had the chances to miss that Hemed has had. Previously he DID, and with much the same result.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Recently Baldock hasn't had the chances to miss that Hemed has had. Previously he DID, and with much the same result.

Hasn't he? I think that might be bending the truth more than suggesting he scored against Bristol City. How many chances did he miss against Preston, for example? And not just miss, scuff horribly. I understand why people are starting to criticise Hemed, or question his goals return, but I find it very frustrating that we hold our strikers to different standards for no obvious reason to me.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Baldock had a similar first half against Bristol City as Hemed did against MK Dons.

Yes, that's how a remember it. It's almost like they take it in turns to have ALL the chances and manage to mess them all up.

To answer [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] - yes, I agree. they are both as profligate as each other.

Which is why WE MUST GET ANOTHER STRIKER IN JANUARY.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I don't want to be seen as moaning as I love the way the team is performing at the moment but I feel that both Hemed and Baldock are aren't currently on top form.
As much as I like Baldock and admire his work rate, he clearly has a lot to offer but a striker he isn't.
Hemed I'm hoping is just lacking in confidence and will come good, it's strange how missing a spot-kick can destroy a player's form, but I have the feeling when he next gets one in, a flurry will follow and you won't be able to stop him scoring, at least I hope.
At the end of the day a striker has to score goals.
With the midfield and wingers we have we should be scoring more, even Hughton keeps saying we need to be more clinical, he knows the problem and I'm hopeful that another striker is on the horizon to at least give competition for the starting 11.
Could you imagine how many of the chances a Rhodes or McCormack would put away in the is team?
I'm also hopeful of seeing more of Manu, he clearly has pace and ability but appeared to lack match fitness, I could imagine him running defences ragged, imagination is a great thing after all.
This was meant to be a short reply, so anyway, to sum it up, keep the faith, look where we are without stepping up to that undiscovered gear that we all know is there. If everything purred and we won 4-0 ever week, it wouldn't be the Albion!
:albion2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, that's how a remember it. It's almost like they take it in turns to have ALL the chances and manage to mess them all up.

To answer [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] - yes, I agree. they are both as profligate as each other.

Which is why WE MUST GET ANOTHER STRIKER IN JANUARY.

The only disagreement I have is why wait until January either get one on a simple loan now or a loan with an agreement to buy in January if more expensive. Dont ask me who though as I am lost for reaIistic names

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
We need two defenders another creative midfielder and a 25 goals + striker then we are sorted almost.
I also think we need another good keeper to give Stockdale a massive kick up his Gary Glitter

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The only disagreement I have is why wait until January either get one on a simple loan now or a loan with an agreement to buy in January if more expensive. Dont ask me who though as I am lost for reaIistic names

I wouldn't disagree with you. If there's a suitable loanee, available on a 93 day loan to get us to January then go for it. If we're serious about attracting Calleri or similar, we need to be up there in January. Our only advantage would be the prospect of being in a team promoted to the Prem THIS season.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We need two defenders another creative midfielder and a 25 goals + striker then we are sorted almost.
I also think we need another good keeper to give Stockdale a massive kick up his Gary Glitter

What about international keeper Nikki Maaenpa (sp)?

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
I don't want to be seen as moaning as I love the way the team is performing at the moment but I feel that both Hemed and Baldock are aren't currently on top form.
As much as I like Baldock and admire his work rate, he clearly has a lot to offer but a striker he isn't.
Hemed I'm hoping is just lacking in confidence and will come good, it's strange how missing a spot-kick can destroy a player's form, but I have the feeling when he next gets one in, a flurry will follow and you won't be able to stop him scoring, at least I hope.
At the end of the day a striker has to score goals.
With the midfield and wingers we have we should be scoring more, even Hughton keeps saying we need to be more clinical, he knows the problem and I'm hopeful that another striker is on the horizon to at least give competition for the starting 11.
Could you imagine how many of the chances a Rhodes or McCormack would put away in the is team?
I'm also hopeful of seeing more of Manu, he clearly has pace and ability but appeared to lack match fitness, I could imagine him running defences ragged, imagination is a great thing after all.
This was meant to be a short reply, so anyway, to sum it up, keep the faith, look where we are without stepping up to that undiscovered gear that we all know is there. If everything purred and we won 4-0 ever week, it wouldn't be the Albion!
:albion2:

Spot on with the not a striker bit totally agree creative type midfielder but def NOT a striker

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
One of our group say 'Barnes would have got that', whenever we miss a chance.
Whether he would or not, if immaterial, as it's a standing joke now.

To be fair when anyone missed a chance it was Murray would have got that. Till Ulloa came along. Then when he went it was Ulloa would have got that. But I see your point!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Baldock's touch is way better than CMS's ever was. For that he is better.

Fully agree.

I make no secret of not being a Baldock fan. I wasn't happy when we signed him, and he's done nothing since to convince me otherwise.

However, at times his touch is just sublime! His touch compared to CMS is simply different gravy.

Criticising Baldock's touch would be akin to criticising Stockdale's distribution. Those aspects of their game is what they do best.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Sorry I forgot we were bottom half. If we had a 25 goal striker, we'd be top by miles now. I don't think there's any point in signing a creative midfielder (we don't play a system that uses them so it would only be useful if chasing games) and we certainly don't need two defenders or a goalkeeper. I'm not sure why Stockdale needs the competition when Maennpa is perfectly good backup and Stockdale is having a great season (and we have four keepers already).

If you seriously think we're going to sign five players in January, then you are deluded. I'm sure we'll sign a striker and possibly one or two more but that will be it!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our 2 urgent needs are loans to cover injuries to Bong and Baldock we have adequate cover elsewhere. Then sign a 20 goal striker in January to complete the "cake" we are making that would be the icing on the top.

Other than this I cannot see us signing anybody else in January, as we dont need them, that is subject to serious injury to Stephens or Kayal.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Spot on with the not a striker bit totally agree creative type midfielder but def NOT a striker

Well, I think you're spot off on this. Which is another way of saying wrong. There may be problems with Baldock, particularly his low goal return in a successful side. But a creative midfielder he isn't. Tex is a creative midfielder (look at Liverpool, they've got loads of those), as was Spanish Dave. Baldock isn't great at picking passes, what he is great at is his movement which disrupts oppositions' defences, precisely the kind of movement that is required for a creative midfielder who has the vision to understand that a defence's solidity has been disrupted, and to pick that pass to exploit that disruption.
So, Baldock's best position is playing as a support striker in a 4-4-2 system. He's been by no means awful at it this season. Which is not to say that he doesn't need to substantially improve his goal return if we're to remain at or near the heights that we're currently soaring at.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Well, I think you're spot off on this. Which is another way of saying wrong. There may be problems with Baldock, particularly his low goal return in a successful side. But a creative midfielder he isn't. Tex is a creative midfielder (look at Liverpool, they've got loads of those), as was Spanish Dave. Baldock isn't great at picking passes, what he is great at is his movement which disrupts oppositions' defences, precisely the kind of movement that is required for a creative midfielder who has the vision to understand that a defence's solidity has been disrupted, and to pick that pass to exploit that disruption.
So, Baldock's best position is playing as a support striker in a 4-4-2 system. He's been by no means awful at it this season. Which is not to say that he doesn't need to substantially improve his goal return if we're to remain at or near the heights that we're currently soaring at.

Spot on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here