Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

catalonia independence vote......

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I would think my view is the same as a great many here in the UK but no doubt somebody will say we are wrong and point out how we will be affected.
I just don't see the logic of posting in a thread which doesn't interest you to point out that the subject under discussion doesn't affect you.

Maybe that's just me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Must you?

Of course he must. It's one of the more important aspects of the whole Catalonia crisis - how much it will affect BG. The good news, apparently, is that it won't do anything worse than maybe increase the price of his oranges by a few pence. That is a great relief; the world needed to know.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Of course he must. It's one of the more important aspects of the whole Catalonia crisis - how much it will affect BG. The good news, apparently, is that it won't do anything worse than maybe increase the price of his oranges by a few pence. That is a great relief; the world needed to know.
Carlos Puigdemont must be thrilled.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I would think most bystanders will only be concerned about how it will affect them, either way. Obviously wont make any diference security wise but what about trade etc.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would think most bystanders will only be concerned about how it will affect them, either way. Obviously wont make any diference security wise but what about trade etc.
Quite right too, and I would like to take this chance to announce that, apart from a possible small rise in the price of a Californian chardonnay, I do not think I'm going to be affected by September's forest fires in California. Just as well I've let the world know that, eh?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quite right too, and I would like to take this chance to announce that, apart from a possible small rise in the price of a Californian chardonnay, I do not think I'm going to be affected by September's forest fires in California. Just as well I've let the world know that, eh?

Carry on trying to take the p..s as obviously you havent got a brain to read or
understand a point

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Carry on trying to take the p..s as obviously you havent got a brain to read or understand a point
On the contrary, I understood only too well. You will know, if you bother to find out, I'm not one of the ones who constantly has a pop at you on here, but when you come up with a post as brain-numbingly unnecessary and irrelevant, you really shouldn't be surprised to get a bit of flack.
The Catalan crisis is a potentially very serious business, especially if it escalates, which looks all too likely at the moment; ongoing constitutional crisis, with violence and bloodshed a very real threat, and you feel compelled to come on and say it's OK, it won't affect you much, except it might put up the price of fruit a bit!
:facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was not meant as a knock against you more a case of asking a simple question. How will it affect most people outside of Spain? Yes there may be bloodshed etc but it is of their own making but how does that affect the rest of the world and us in particular. I was in the North of Spain, up in the Alps, during a terrorist uprising in the 70s for a few days having a drink in a bar and watching football on the TV . All of a sudden there were gun shots and the bar owner told us just to stay inside as it was nothing to do with us.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
BG were you in Northern Spain or in the Alps when this happened?

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
It was not meant as a knock against you more a case of asking a simple question. How will it affect most people outside of Spain? Yes there may be bloodshed etc but it is of their own making but how does that affect the rest of the world and us in particular. I was in the North of Spain, up in the Alps, during a terrorist uprising in the 70s for a few days having a drink in a bar and watching football on the TV . All of a sudden there were gun shots and the bar owner told us just to stay inside as it was nothing to do with us.
I think you mean the Pyrenees BG.

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes sorry my mistake I mixed up the mountain ranges it was indeed the Pyrenees. I think that on reflection it may have been in the 80s not late 70s as we drove from France and were stopped by the police to see our passports and they laughed at our old Blue UK passpoprt as we didnt have new EU ones.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can somebody give some examples of how it will directly affect us uk residents please?

I would try, if you can knock a few grey cells together, to think along the lines of EU fragmentation, possibilities of other regions flexing their muscles, Scotland, Basque region, Flemish region.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would try, if you can knock a few grey cells together, to think along the lines of EU fragmentation, possibilities of other regions flexing their muscles, Scotland, Basque region, Flemish region.....

Scotland want independance and the Basque seperatists have been fighting for years as per my post about the visit in the 80s but it hasnt affected us so far, so what will change. We are pulling out of Europe so again is any break up our concern as I assume the defence treaty and arrangements will still exist throughout Europe.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Scotland want independance and the Basque seperatists have been fighting for years as per my post about the visit in the 80s but it hasnt affected us so far, so what will change. We are pulling out of Europe so again is any break up our concern as I assume the defence treaty and arrangements will still exist throughout Europe.

Domino effect? Not to mention trade (Barcelona and the region are Spain's biggest traders) and tourism. All of these will have some kind of effect on the average UK citizen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Domino effect? Not to mention trade (Barcelona and the region are Spain's biggest traders) and tourism. All of these will have some kind of effect on the average UK citizen.

I would have thought that Barcelona is a banking and IT centre which could easily be transferred to Madrid if needed. I would have thought that virually nothing is manufactured or grown in Barcelona area and on the tourist side I would think it is much less than the Costas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here