Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 20 years ago. How crowds have changed !!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I was at that game, just my 5th at Gillingham as refused to go until Belloti had been sacked from the club.Looking back the crowd the game before (also midweek) v Lincoln was only 1,036.

Also the next game was A v Hereford in the FACup, not a fun day as they were still a little bitter from relegation the season before. My mate got a punch in the face as we went through the turnstyle to get in, and we lost 2-1.

Ha. I was rattling my brains trying to remember if I attended this Barnet game. I'm now pretty sure
( thanks to you ) that it was the Lincoln game. I'm sure my wife and I watched the game from a new stand which was priced much higher than where we normally watched from
( someone please let me know if I'm making this up ), also it was the only occasion that I did not use the Liz Costa love bus and decided to drive. Pre satnav I duly got lost on the way home.

:wrong:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I was there, but honestly can't remember the actual game.

I missed the first three games at Gillingham because it just didn't seem worth it anymore after 30 years watching at the Goldstone.

For me, the most depressing thing of the next two years was the fact that I realised I was ADDICTED to the Albion....for life.

Hasn't turned out too bad in the end though....!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The fans United game v Doncaster was the highest gate there - just over 6,000. Possibly the worst game of football I’ve ever seen
Only possibly? You poor sod, imagine seeing a worst game than that.

I think the Darlington game might top the awfulness for me.. 0-4 and Gabbiadini was it, with the hatrick who got the big old round of applause for it.

Nah, that was one of the most miserable Brighton performances I've seen but at least Darlo had a striker who could play. That was probably the most depressing display I've witnessed but it wasn't the worst game,

These Priestfield memories, they seem like a bad dream now. I only missed three or four games while we played there too - hardly any of them were memorable ones

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Far from being one of those who moans about not being able to get tickets 'because I went to the Goldstone/Priestfield/Withdean' I'm just glad to see that we have a thriving club with a new / returning generation of Albion fans. If that means I can't get a ticket for Man U away then that's a small price to pay. I'd have certainly taken that 20 years ago.
Spot on. I've been going since 1966, I've seen season after season after season of utter toilet, stood on the crumbling Goldstone terraces, went quite often to Priestfield, sat in the rain at Withdean, went to away games where the entire Brighton away support could fit quite comfortably into a minibus, and that entitles me to ..... absolutely nothing. I'm delighted at the position the club now finds itself in. Long may it continue.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Only possibly? You poor sod, imagine seeing a worst game than that.

Nah, that was one of the most miserable Brighton performances I've seen but at least Darlo had a striker who could play. That was probably the most depressing display I've witnessed but it wasn't the worst game,

These Priestfield memories, they seem like a bad dream now. I only missed three or four games while we played there too - hardly any of them were memorable ones

Very fair point! Should've classed it as most awful of the awful performances, but there were at least goals to watch! Haha

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here