Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JD Wetherspoon.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm hardly a snob. I'd happily have a sausage roll swilled down with a lagar as a gourmet meal, have stuck up for the much maligned Burger King on here and drink in my local which looks pretty much like in did in the 60s. If I find my local spoons to be a shit hole, infested by the dregs of society that's because it probably is.

As mentioned on the other recent Spoons thread, you can't tar them all with the same brush. It's like any boozer, some are full of scumbags so are shit, others aren't so they aren't.

I can think of 6 in Sheffield off the top of my head. Two really good, three that are perfectly OK and one that is an utter cesspit. All down to location / clientele.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm hardly a snob. I'd happily have a sausage roll swilled down with a lagar as a gourmet meal, have stuck up for the much maligned Burger King on here and drink in my local which looks pretty much like in did in the 60s. If I find my local spoons to be a shit hole, infested by the dregs of society that's because it probably is.

Fair enough. It's the GENERIC sneering at 'Spoons I find distasteful.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that because of the price of beer etc you tend to find the less well off use them and this what people base their opinions on although wealthy people do use them for choice of beer etc . In the main those with more money tend to look down on those using JDW as being inferior and all on benefits.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I think that because of the price of beer etc you tend to find the less well off use them and this what people base their opinions on although wealthy people do use them for choice of beer etc . In the main those with more money tend to look down on those using JDW as being inferior and all on benefits.

well that's good to know

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

is your local in Brighton????????

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Just popped in to my local Spoons for a couple of pints of £2.49 Thatchers. Marvellous.

This one is mainly full of old timers tucking in to their fish and chips on a Friday afternoon. The other week I witnessed a bloke of about 70 who was finishing off a big fish dinner as I arrived. The barmaid took his plate away and promptly reappeared with another full plate of fish, chips and mushy peas which he proceeded to smash in in a few minutes. Impressive shit especially as he was skinny as a rake.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just popped in to my local Spoons for a couple of pints of £2.49 Thatchers. Marvellous.

This one is mainly full of old timers tucking in to their fish and chips on a Friday afternoon. The other week I witnessed a bloke of about 70 who was finishing off a big fish dinner as I arrived. The barmaid took his plate away and promptly reappeared with another full plate of fish, chips and mushy peas which he proceeded to smash in in a few minutes. Impressive shit especially as he was skinny as a rake.
This takes BOGOF to a new level.

Was in there (drinking only) last night, can recommend it.

Went there a good many years ago. Stunning interior. The Opera House in Tunbridge Wells is also impressive, haven't been in there for a good few years but understand it is somewhat let down by its clientele. I have no problems with JDW if you accept if for what it is.

Our local one is fine. Went into it with Youngest Potting a couple of months back for breakfast - value for money but not in the same league as Wessons Cafe. We were about to leave when an entire gang arrived - dozen or so respectable elderly gents who all ordered children's breakfasts!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spot on, utter snobbery from people who think paying £5 a pint at Brewdog is the way to go!

Spoons is usually ok, it is what it is and you know what to expect. Like any chain there are good and bad, that’s down to the management. The Burgess Hill Spoons, as an example, is mostly alright - not really a lot to complain about when you can get a couple of so-so meals with drinks for a tenner or so. Would spend the same getting a sarnie and a drink in M&S.

Jul 7, 2003
The one at Heathrow T5 is closed having a refurb. I never thought I'd be disappointed about a 'spoons being closed.

Does that mean they are finally going to stop showing Johnny English on loop after four years of continuous play?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Which one?

Lived in Sheffield for 3 years and found the Bankers Draft to be ok. The one on West Street was an absolute hovel. The Water Works was ok as well I guess (but never been in sober).

The worst i've ever been in is the one on George Street in Hove. But they are cracking value and can't complain.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Went there a good many years ago. Stunning interior. The Opera House in Tunbridge Wells is also impressive, haven't been in there for a good few years but understand it is somewhat let down by its clientele. I have no problems with JDW if you accept if for what it is.

Our local one is fine. Went into it with Youngest Potting a couple of months back for breakfast - value for money but not in the same league as Wessons Cafe. We were about to leave when an entire gang arrived - dozen or so respectable elderly gents who all ordered children's breakfasts!

Spot on, absolutely stunning interior, and great that they do actually have a couple of operas a year to keep the memories alive. I rarely visit as there are other better options here, but can't fault it for what it is. Popped in for a night cap the other week, and £2.49 I think for a pint of American Pale Ale, you can't go wrong. Half the price of a similar brew at other local hostelries.

The clientele can be questionable as you say, although that is usually at a time when most of us are actually working !!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
FINALLY closed in Balham, the pub that time forgot.

I've been in the newer ones, but this one was in a time warp.

the-moon-under-water.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here