Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Artists who draw characatures think that every female has a tiny waste, big tits and huge teeth.

C2JdTRCXUAA8L5L.jpg

???

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I find it hard to believe that the cartoonist didn't look at his finished work and see a piece that harks back to the 'sambo' depictions of black people. What amazes me is that he didn't think that it might be an idea to make some adjustments to his work.

Perhaps he did? Perhaps he decided to erase the bone from through her nose. This is possibly why he didn't have time to draw an accurate caricature of Osaka.

I am sure that both he and the editor of the rag in question were happy with the resulting publicity and outrage. Main protagonists have got exactly what they wanted.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Yes, women's football is competitive at the very top WSL level, but from Championship downwards with that United score, it's questionable.

And the further down one goes, the more the evidence is clear on this.

Here are some selected scores from last weekend's Women's FA Cup - 1st Round Qualifying

Leicester City Women 15, Coalville Town 0
Cambridge City 14, Riverside 0
Bishop's Stortford 0, Royston Town 11
Ashford Town 15, Wargrave 0
Basingstoke Town 0, Bournemouth 13
Marine Academy 13, Exeter 1

6 teams had a walkover as the other team either withdrew or were not accepted in the competition.

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/womens/the-sse-womens-fa-cup/results

The equivalent stage for this year's men's competition?

No team scored double figures - the highest number of goals scored was 7. No team had a walkover. Much more competitive.

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/results

That's not sexist, a reflection on whether or not women's football should be played or supported or a comment on the football quality.

It's an observation that it can't really be compared in terms of competitiveness with the men's game for a number of reasons.

Only a year ago, Notts County Women's top-flight team folded due to financial pressures.

All that said, the good work that many clubs including the Albion are doing to support women's football is to be welcomed for sure.

I said that the womens championship is competitive and then you quoted a whole bunch of games that had teams losing that dont play in the championship. I will just repeat that it was a bad to use the newly created United team and this league as an example and leave you to comprehend that.

Brighton competed in this last year and there were some big wins but similar to the mens u23 in that regard.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I find it hard to believe that the cartoonist didn't look at his finished work and see a piece that harks back to the 'sambo' depictions of black people. What amazes me is that he didn't think that it might be an idea to make some adjustments to his work.

A Michael Jackson type makeover perhaps? Except that that is the job of a plastic surgeon, not a caricaturist.

It was a caricature ffs! Caricatures are meant to look like an exaggerated portrait of their subject - sort of nothing quite like the subject, but instantly recognisable. I refer you to the excellent caricatures in the introduction to 'Yes Minister' - none of the three of them have noses a foot long, but all images are instantly recognisable. Same rules apply to a caricature of Williams. No discrimination on racist grounds, per-lease!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I said that the womens championship is competitive and then you quoted a whole bunch of games that had teams losing that dont play in the championship. I will just repeat that it was a bad to use the newly created United team and this league as an example and leave you to comprehend that.

Brighton competed in this last year and there were some big wins but similar to the mens u23 in that regard.

In post #135, you said "it will be a competitive league just that this season it wont because of the changing of the rules it has nothing to do with womens football not being competitive."

So you're still maintaining that the women's championship will, at some future point, be competitive despite:
1. conceding that it isn't a competitive league this season
2. conceding that there were some big wins last season
3. conclusive evidence from other results to show that women's football outside the WSL can't be compared in terms of competitiveness with men.

I suppose given enough time, this will eventually happen. But if not this year nor last, then when?

I'm just looking at the results now and drawing conclusions from what's there.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A Michael Jackson type makeover perhaps? Except that that is the job of a plastic surgeon, not a caricaturist.

It was a caricature ffs! Caricatures are meant to look like an exaggerated portrait of their subject - sort of nothing quite like the subject, but instantly recognisable. I refer you to the excellent caricatures in the introduction to 'Yes Minister' - none of the three of them have noses a foot long, but all images are instantly recognisable. Same rules apply to a caricature of Williams. No discrimination on racist grounds, per-lease!

There are many different ways to draw a caricature of Serena and the artist chose this one. He claims that he has no knowledge of the 'Sambo' style cartoons his work echoes. I find this very difficult to believe, being that he is a cartoonist and it is clearly his area.

This incident was a high level sports woman having a hissy fit and breaking the rules.

Shame on Serena for making this a gender issue and shame on the Herald Sun for making it a race issue. It is worth noting here that the Herald Sun certainly has form for making things about race.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think it was very arrogant of Serena to play the sexist card and having read views expressed, it is clear she has probably widened the issue even more than ever!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
2014-11-13(18895)_Morgan-Freema-Cartoon.jpg

Is this 'racist' ?

I would say it is not. Which is evidence to show that there are different way to caricature a black person. Some evoke the 'sambo' style cartoons of yesteryear and ones like this don't. The questions to me remain: Why did he choose this particular style of caricature? and Why did he choose to make Osaka look so white?

I don't buy his answer that he had no knowledge of these type of cartoons.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Err...no.

2457721-MAPHQCDS-7.jpg

THATS a portrait.

The fact that you can't even spell 'caricature' leads me to suspect you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

That's the way my mobile spelt it, thought it was wrong but sod it, pressed it anyway because I don't give a shit about ********s picking up on spelling and punctuation.
Unlike you to be short, I merely meant that although it was a CARICATURE of May and Johnson it looked like them anyway.
I certainly didn't mean that you don't know what a CARICATURE is.
Have you had a bad day?
Or are your usually funny posts a cover up for a grumpy old bugger.
Anyway, that's an awful portrait looks nothing like her, the caricature was more life like.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's the way my mobile spelt it, thought it was wrong but sod it, pressed it anyway because I don't give a shit about ********s picking up on spelling and punctuation.
Unlike you to be short, I merely meant that although it was a CARICATURE of May and Johnson it looked like them anyway.
I certainly didn't mean that you don't know what a CARICATURE is.
Have you had a bad day?
Or are your usually funny posts a cover up for a grumpy old bugger.
Anyway, that's an awful portrait looks nothing like her, the caricature was more life like.

Well you've contradicted yourself - it was indeed a caricature of Maybot and Johnson, not a portrait at all. I just had no idea how you arrived at the conclusion that it was a portrait.

Sorry to be short, that wasn't really my intention when I rattled it off. And yes, I am a grumpy old bugger, and have been for many years :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This incident was a high level sports woman having a hissy fit and breaking the rules.

This incident was a high level sports woman having a hissy fit and breaking the rules. However unacceptable to some, it was also an incident of a high level black sports woman having a hissy fit and breaking the rules..........

If she'd have been white, the same amount of mockery would have been appropriate. But she wasn't/isn't. C'est la vie.........equality rules. Are you advocating special rules for black people? I would find that totally racist and unacceptable.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Well you've contradicted yourself - it was indeed a caricature of Maybot and Johnson, not a portrait at all. I just had no idea how you arrived at the conclusion that it was a portrait.

Sorry to be short, that wasn't really my intention when I rattled it off. And yes, I am a grumpy old bugger, and have been for many years :)

Really, the last thing I had you down as was grumpy.
Always enjoy reading your posts on here, funny and usually accurate.
Anyway I will stop cleaning your prostate with my tongue and move on.
I am certainly not going to get into an argument over pictures of that old witch anyway.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Really, the last thing I had you down as was grumpy.
Always enjoy reading your posts on here, funny and usually accurate.
Anyway I will stop cleaning your prostate with my tongue and move on.
I am certainly not going to get into an argument over pictures of that old witch anyway.

Hurrah!..................

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Err...no.

2457721-MAPHQCDS-7.jpg

THATS a portrait.

The fact that you can't even spell 'caricature' leads me to suspect you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Maybe he meant charcuterie......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here