Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Air BNB / Amsterdam

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Hello going on a short break to Amsterdam and was thinking of staying in an Air BNB................... Has anyone stayed in an Air BNB in the Damn? have any recommendations? or just general advice using the service? /
Any advice of the Dam would be nice too :)
Cheers

The-League-Season-6-Episode-11-26-5e67.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The site has been accused of allowing shysters to con people. My view is that if you apply a little common sense, it’s a great app. I book only with Superhosts (ie verified), and only properties with at least 25 reviews with an average of 4.5/5 stars or more. Never had a problem.

Amsterdam? Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museums are brilliant. Canal cruise if that’s your thing. Eat Indonesian. Don’t eat bananas or (especially) plums.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Before considering Airbnb, be aware there has been a clampdown by local authorities in Amsterdam just as there has been in Berlin & other European cities. If somebody is renting out an apartment on the sly and they get busted, you *could* find yourself getting cancelled at short notice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is a fantastic and lovely little wood panelled canal side bar selling top notch Dutch craft

http://www.arendsnest.nl

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Was there last autumn and used AirBnB with no issues. Stayed just outside of the city on a tram line which took about 10 mins. Was so much easier than the centre which I have stayed in before in a hotel

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Stayed in a private room in a studenty part of the city (north east) a few years back and had a great time.

Honestly, I am yet to have a bad experience through AirBnB either in the UK or abroad.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Before considering Airbnb, be aware there has been a clampdown by local authorities in Amsterdam just as there has been in Berlin & other European cities. If somebody is renting out an apartment on the sly and they get busted, you *could* find yourself getting cancelled at short notice.

Having lived in Amsterdam this is a real risk. Most rental contracts now have non-airbnb clauses in and landlords are really taking it seriously. Additionally the 60 day airbnb limit has just been reduced to 30 days (or is at least going to be reduced soon) which will lead to cancellations too.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
It's not just airbnb conning guests. There have been major concerns raised by local residents that the explosion of unregulated tourist rentals is causing massive overcrowding in the centre and stopping people who live there from going about their daily business unimpeded.

Part of the clampdown is also an attempt by the city to attract a smaller number of 'better-behaved' tourists ("no riff-raff" as Basil Fawlty would say, although the Amsterdam council won't admit as much). They are trying to dissuade foreign stag party groups by coming down more heavily on loutish behaviour. Local residents are fed up with opening their front doors and seeing drunk young (and sad to say, British more often than not) men pissing in the street outside their houses, and who can blame them?

Other things they are doing: https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...-bikes-ban-mass-tourism-control-a8355521.html

"Fit in or eff off" seems to be the order of the day.

Last edited:

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
We stayed in Leiden airbnb last year........quite cheap, a great town for bars and restaurants and easy access by train to Amsterdam if you're
looking for a cheaper alternative.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
We stayed in Leiden airbnb last year........quite cheap, a great town for bars and restaurants and easy access by train to Amsterdam if you're
looking for a cheaper alternative.

...and a lot more peaceful/sedate if that's what you want (I've been to Amsterdam a dozen times or so - my cousin lives there).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Hello going on a short break to Amsterdam and was thinking of staying in an Air BNB................... Has anyone stayed in an Air BNB in the Damn? have any recommendations? or just general advice using the service? /
Any advice of the Dam would be nice too :)
Cheers

View attachment 97304

How did this trip go? Any advise, Mrs wants to go next month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here