Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Official Match Thread: England v Colombia

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Agreed

And also he's got away with a huge tactical error he can learn from.

Huge step forward

Yep, inexperienced manager and young players.

One thing I've noticed is the heads don't go down. Make a mistake (which they have) erase that and go again.

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous but erasing that problem (fear of making a mistake against the expectancy and the ridiculous press coverage over the years) is as big a triumph for us as winning the world cup itself.

Whatever happens now they did as best as they could.

Interesting thing about Southgate if you watched that recent doc about England managers. The press know they can throw whatever they want at him. He's had his worst football moment and in his head nothing will top it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I thought in 90 mins it was a great team performance. We restricted them to very little, yet looked a threat ourselves. Defended well as a team and lots of clever movement when on the attack. Flow interrupted somewhat by the game Colombia made it. I think some people expect too much from individual players. It was a very good team performance - miles away from Iceland.

Correct. Totally deserved it in 90 - went to pot a bit for 1st half of ET but thoroughly deserved to go through.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Correct. Totally deserved it in 90 - went to pot a bit for 1st half of ET but thoroughly deserved to go through.

It's interesting I turned the ITV commentary off at one point because it's so easy to get dragged into it. "Here Colombia come again", yeah but they can ****ing knock it about all they like on the half way line.

Turn off the awful ITV commentary and they created very little.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm talking about the long range shot that led to their corner from which they equalised.

[tweet]1014254897036963842[/tweet]

Thank you so much, FANTASTIC save. I don't shout often, honest!

Possibly the greatest save I've ever seen. Incredible.

https://twitter.com/greenallefc/status/1014245772534145032?s=09

Would have been talked about for years had they not scored. Now it'll mostly be forgotten. Hopefully we get some more angles at some point.

If only he’d done the right thing and watched it sail a foot wide - we’d have won it in 90 like we deserved to :whistle:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's interesting I turned the ITV commentary off at one point because it's so easy to get dragged into it. "Here Colombia come again", yeah but they can ****ing knock it about all they like on the half way line.

Turn off the awful ITV commentary and they created very little.

They created nothing in 90 whatsoever apart from that one header that Tripps should have cleared. I just felt our play dipped a little in ET - we were in complete control for the 90.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not 100% sure it was going wide. He gets a good hand to it. Need to see another angle.

I thought it was in normal time but yeh there’s not many good angles. The one replay I saw suggested it was going wide.
Was only joking though, I’d rather a keeper went for it when it’s that close - fantastic save and great to see the young lad get the glory.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

They weren't often even as far away from our goal as the half way line though, were they? So much of the game England had eleven men in their own half - and none of those up too near the centre circle either!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well I've just about recovered.

I couldn't even celebrate when we won, my nerves were shot to pieces.

It's club before country for me, but these massive waits between having a chance in the WC really do make the pressure mount.

Club before country?

Let me know when England play Brighton and I’ll make a choice. In fact, let me know when England participating at a major tournement so much as affects the Albion and I’ll make a choice. No such thing Trig - don’t buy in to the champions league, sky sports hyperbole phrases such as ‘club v country’. Case closed.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Saw another angle off the save on MOTD - inconclusive whether it was going wide or not. Might have been swerving onto the post. Need another angle still. Regardless - amazing save. Can't take the chance.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What an absolutely shit side Colombia are, they drew us in to their game of non football but we'll learn from that. Did they ever go out onto the pitch wishing to win a game of football? Absolute disgrace to this wonderful World Cup.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Brilliant night out watching the game. The better team in the 90 minutes won.

A couple of Colombian fans there were giving it the big one when they scored, but soon got their comeuppance as Dier's penalty went in.

"Adios, adios, adios...adios, adios, adioooos..." went down particularly well with them.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If Columbia had won I wonder if everyone would have flushed their gear down bog ??? Remembering when Volkswagens got it after we lost to the Germans on pens.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here