Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How surprised were you when that truth finally came out about Lance.
v
How surprised would you be if a similar truth were to come out about CF?

Which truth. A test result that was hidden? Or that Armstrong was a serial doper?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lance Armstrong never failed a test either (except that one which he wasn't punished for anyway). Just saying.

There is a difference between the covering up of failed drug tests in which LA failed 4 in 1999 alone, than answering a case regarding an AAF.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which truth. A test result that was hidden? Or that Armstrong was a serial doper?

How surprised were you to find out that Armstrong was THE serial doper.
v
How surprised would you be to find out Froome is cut from the same cloth?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Team Principal Sir Dave Brailsford said:

“We have always had total confidence in Chris and his integrity. We knew that he had followed the right medical guidance in managing his asthma at the Vuelta and were sure that he would be exonerated in the end, which he has been. This is why we decided that it was right for Chris to continue racing, in line with UCI rules, while the process was ongoing. We are pleased that it has now been resolved.

“Chris’s elevated Salbutamol urine reading from Stage 18 of the Vuelta was treated as a ‘presumed’ Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) by the UCI and WADA, which triggered a requirement for us to provide further information. After a comprehensive review of that information, relevant data and scientific research, the UCI and WADA have concluded that there was, in fact, no AAF and that no rule has been broken.

“We said at the outset that there are complex medical and physiological issues which affect the metabolism and excretion of Salbutamol. The same individual can exhibit significant variations in test results taken over multiple days while using exactly the same amount of Salbutamol. This means that the level of Salbutamol in a single urine sample, alone, is not a reliable indicator of the amount inhaled. A review of all Chris’s 21 test results from the Vuelta revealed that the Stage 18 result was within his expected range of variation and therefore consistent with him having taken a permitted dose of Salbutamol.

“Chris has proved he is a great champion – not only on the bike but also by how he has conducted himself during this period. It has not been easy, but his professionalism, integrity and good grace under pressure have been exemplary and a credit to the sport.

“The greatest bike race in the world starts in five days. We can’t wait to get racing again and help Chris win it for a record-equalling fifth time.”

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take it [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] 70 miles in 5 hours means your training is coming along nicely?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I take it [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] 70 miles in 5 hours means your training is coming along nicely?

I think so. Every ride also has a sting in the tail too seeing as how there's a nasty one at 85 miles I understand.

I just hope that my knee holds out.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How surprised were you to find out that Armstrong was THE serial doper.
v
How surprised would you be to find out Froome is cut from the same cloth?

Ok, fair enough. I don't believe the two are cut from the same cloth, no. However, Sky's performance in front of the select committee hasn't done much to reassure me that they are entirely squeaky clean. For an outfit that makes such a big thing of attention to detail, they let themselves down badly there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, fair enough. I don't believe the two are cut from the same cloth, no. However, Sky's performance in front of the select committee hasn't done much to reassure me that they are entirely squeaky clean. For an outfit that makes such a big thing of attention to detail, they let themselves down badly there.

They always let themselves down in matters of PR.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Feck that, if you can't keep up ride on your own.

This is a matter of some debate. How can a club attract new members if every ride is too fast for newbies or exsisting members who are coming back from a period off the bike?

I believe there's has to a place for fast rides where a certain level of fitness is required or else don't come as it`s not fair on the others to keep waiting up. However, a decent club should have a wide variety of rides for all levels, if possible, or else what's the point?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
This is a matter of some debate. How can a club attract new members if every ride is too fast for newbies or exsisting members who are coming back from a period off the bike?

I believe there's has to a place for fast rides where a certain level of fitness is required or else don't come as it`s not fair on the others to keep waiting up. However, a decent club should have a wide variety of rides for all levels, if possible, or else what's the point?

I thought most had a beginners, medium, and training group.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Not all it seems. Depends if there's enough people willing to put on the various rides.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Do you belong to Brighton Mitre by any chance?

I've just looked at their ride schedule http://www.brightonmitre.co.uk/rides/. Certainly something for everyone there. They must be a very big club though with lots of willing ride leaders to offer all that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you belong to Brighton Mitre by any chance?

I've just looked at their ride schedule http://www.brightonmitre.co.uk/rides/. Certainly something for everyone there. They must be a very big club though with lots of willing ride leaders to offer all that.
SouthDown Velo have a Saturday intermediate ride, leaving Sunday free for the serious riders.

Col de Col makes me laugh about that.
The always says on the rare occasion he rides on Saturday they make him feel like a celebrity.
Apparently all the Saturday riders get starry-eyed riding with a 'Sunday rider' :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
SouthDown Velo have a Saturday intermediate ride, leaving Sunday free for the serious riders.

Col de Col makes me laugh about that.
The always says on the rare occasion he rides on Saturday they make him feel like a celebrity.
Apparently all the Saturday riders get starry-eyed riding with a 'Sunday rider' :lol:

Ours is similar. Ideally though Sunday should see two rides going off. One for the 'serious' riders and one for the more 'social'. One of the reasons I found myself Audaxing over Winter was because of the lack of a regular 'social' ride on a Sunday.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Our 'serious' Sunday club ride this weekend...nearly 80 miles at an avg of 19mph, in THAT heat! Feck that for a game of soldiers :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our 'serious' Sunday club ride this weekend...nearly 80 miles at an avg of 19mph, in THAT heat! Feck that for a game of soldiers :lolol:

Those were the days :lol:

How is your cramp situation now?
I can't remember if you came to the conclusion that salt wasn't actually the enemy you made it out to be.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Brighton Excelsior generally have Sunday rides: a Blue Run for beginnners, new riders, older riders etc. approx. 30-40 miles. Red Run medium pace, approx. 15 mph or so, 40-50 mies. Black Run (not always on) but a fast paced training ride over 70 miles or so. Sundays from Shoreham Airport. Blue and Red leave at 09.00, Black at 08.30. We also have a ride on Thursday evenings.

We have several season ticket holders in the group, including [MENTION=11738]Spreadbetting Seagull[/MENTION].

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Given that we are talking about club rides... is joining a cycling club worth it?

I'm moving up proper north (Yorkshire) in the next six weeks - wife is keen for me to join a club of some sort (mostly to get me out the house I think!). Never been a member of a cycling club, but I do enjoy getting out on my road bike. Plus, I'm definitely too old to start playing rugby again!

Only problem with cycling, Yorkshire and I, is that I'm not very good at hills...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here