Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Eric Pickles

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Eh ? Voting is the right of every adult (with some exceptions), not having a passport or driving license doesn't invalidate that.

Perhaps it should? Not having the wherewithal to either need or apply for a passport/license in the modern era does tend to make you question what the individual is capable of giving to society. :whistle: A passport at £80 is only £8 per year. The world has changed, my parents would be flabbergasted that I travel overseas for work on at least 2 or 3 occasions every year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Opening services and bank accounts, signing rental agreements, proof of health insurance when treated at a hospital, fast tracking through the airport as a resident of the country. Actually, I would argue that you do have an ID card. It is your passport. You probably use it to prove your identity more than you do for travelling. An actual ID card is just a more convenient version.

But I can use my passport for all of these. I don't follow your point about my life being easier due to an ID card.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION], aren't there ID cards and proof of identity for voting required in Germany ?

You don't need an ID card to vote. I'm not sure about whether a passport is needed to vote.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of 31 000 000. votes cast in the 2015 election there were 26 cases of voter impersonation and 27 postal vote infringements.

If this is the case then it's a total non-issue.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Perhaps it should? Not having the wherewithal to either need or apply for a passport/license in the modern era does tend to make you question what the individual is capable of giving to society. :whistle: A passport at £80 is only £8 per year. The world has changed, my parents would be flabbergasted that I travel overseas for work on at least 2 or 3 occasions every year.

So you're advocating a plutocracy where only people with a certain amount of disposable income are allowed to vote ?
What about my mother in law ? She doesn't have a passport or driving license any more and, as she lives in a nursing home, has no utility bills. Would you take away her right to vote ? She's probably given more to society that you have.
You seem to be defending the indefensible and making yourself look like a bit of a tit doing so.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

That is a thoroughly f*cking ignorant statement my friend. :dunce:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Germans have to have either an identity card or a passport.

According to the German law of obligation of identification, it is compulsory for all German citizens age 16 or older to possess either an identity card or a passport. While police officers and some other officials have a right to demand to see one of these documents, the law does not stipulate that one is obliged to submit the document at that very moment.

As everyone in Germany must possess an ID card or a passport, acceptance of other official documents (like driving licences) as proof of identity is not guaranteed, especially for old driving licences with less security. Driving licences issued before 2013 are not replaced in Germany, so the same document is kept.

German citizens travelling inside Europe (except Belarus, Russia and Ukraine) or to Egypt, Georgia, Turkey and on organized tours to Morocco and Tunisia can use their ID card, which is a machine-readable travel document, instead of a passport.[1]

Just like German passports, German identity cards are valid for ten years (six years if the holder is under 24 on the date of issue).

The ID card currently costs €28.80 (€22.80 if the holder is under 24 on the date of issue).

The question was about whether these are needed for voting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So Herr Tubthumper do you actually believe that out 31m votes cast only 53 were dodgy ?

I'm just going by what [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] posted. It's not something I've researched myself. Is it more wide spread?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Odd one.

My foreign friends can't understand why we don't have ID cards in this country. My opposition to it isn't political, I just don't see the point.

I'll admit to not knowing the ins and outs abroad, but I'd imagine if issued in the last 20 years incredibly open to forgery.

If a new system was proposed incredibly open to hacking.

So I'm stuck in two minds, but elections haven't changed for years.

Simply saying turn up with a driving license or passport, well I'm cynical. Will stop those who haven't either to bother and that will undoubtedly be poorer voters.

Appears to taken 5 minutes to think about.

There must be a better way. Issue everyone every 5 years with a unique code that they scan. Let the process take place over a whole week.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If this is the case then it's a total non-issue.

There are obviously issues that need addressing if this is the case https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/apr/05/politics.localgovernment

As I said earlier, why couldn't we introduce some form of cheap ID in the form of a Citizen Card or something ? Personally I find it bizarre that someone wants to go through life not wishing to drive or be able to travel abroad, but if that's genuinely the case, for whatever reason, it shouldn't preclude their right to vote.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Regardless of your party political persuasion, surely trying to ensure that only those legally allowed to vote are permitted to is a good thing. And also ensuring those votes are freely and anonymously cast as well is of massive importance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here