Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Hard to be unkind about him.
He's solved our penalty problem.
His defensive abilities have been invaluable.
He's been constantly played out of position.
HOWEVER
His first touch is woeful.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting that Barnes has divided opinions so much after yesterday. Personally I do not like to slate players, but based on his performance from that game alone, he was utter gash and I would be surprised how anyone could oppose that opinion but hey ho. Clearly Lord Poyet feels his all around play / work ethic fits in with the team better than Hoskins, but personally I cannot believe he did not get on at half time, let alone for 15 minutes.

For some of the games this season Barnes Touch and all around play has improved no end, but yesterday he did NOTHING well. Lost the ball on numerous occasions and got us in trouble. If he starts on Tuesday he needs to have a bloody good game otherwise I sense quite a few are going to start getting a little miffed that he keeps getting the nod. Something tells me though, the more vocal people are about getting Hoskins on, the less likely Poyet is to do it. He has that streak of Wenger in him.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
BensGrandad is spot on, apart from the number of penalties his percentage of goals against opportunities is low.
Poyet seems to be reluctant to bring on subs and if he had brought on Noone much earlier we could have taken 3 points.

herrylothar

Oct 14, 2011
Thanks a lot for sharing this too awesome and massive sharing with us. I really enjoy this worlds best and amazing working too much
a nice work done it is

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Honestly don't get why some have never taken to Barnes, it was the same last season. The moaning from sections of the crowd when he does the slightest thing wrong mystifies me. Why can't some get behind our players at the game rather than bemoan every missed pass

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think the main reason he was left on was to give him a full game. After which he can now say I gave you that full match but you didn't perform as I wanted now Hoskins will play.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I agree that Barnes is over-criticised and I'm generally a big supporter of his, but there is no getting away from the fact that he was disappointing last night. Poor first touch, he looked lost when in possession at times. Very surprised Hoskins wasn't given a run for 15 - 20 mins.

Exactly this, succintly put.

I would go with Hoskins at Millwall

PG

Seagull16

Sep 28, 2011
Why keep slagging him off all the time, would be much better if you supported him, yes he hasnt played as well as he has done recently, but hasnt the whole team? Barnes is very underrated all last season no one took any notice of his getting 20+ goals it was all about Murray, this year its the same CMS and Hoskins taking the limelight, Barnes does a lot of work on the field and you can't dispute how much pride he takes in wearing the albion shirt.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ankergren keeps hold of No. 1 jersey with shutout From The Argus)

Some people are looking at this and saying gus mentions sparrow, ankergren and barnes as three of the 6 or 7 he considered dropping. He says Ankergren and Sparro have done enough to keep their spots. Since he doesn't mention Barnes, maybe he'll be dropped for millwall.

It's entirely reasonable, but there were 3 or 4 other people who were in the same position who Gus doesn't mention, so I would say people shouldn't take it as fact just yet.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why keep slagging him off all the time, would be much better if you supported him, yes he hasnt played as well as he has done recently, but hasnt the whole team? Barnes is very underrated all last season no one took any notice of his getting 20+ goals it was all about Murray, this year its the same CMS and Hoskins taking the limelight, Barnes does a lot of work on the field and you can't dispute how much pride he takes in wearing the albion shirt.

Damm right

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have a hunch that because Hoskins was brought in by John Stevenson (they were at Watford at the same time) and Gus won't play him as a result (Stevenson resigned for "personal" reasons!). You don't normally pay £0.5m for a player and not give him a game.
That said, I think Barnes can still do a job for us - he's still young and being asked to play in a defensive midfield position half of the time. I think everyone would like to see Gus play 2 up front but, because of deficiencies in the team, particularly in central midfield, it's all hands to the pumps at times.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have a hunch that because Hoskins was brought in by John Stevenson (they were at Watford at the same time) and Gus won't play him as a result (Stevenson resigned for "personal" reasons!). You don't normally pay £0.5m for a player and not give him a game.

He played in the preseason games but has had an injury. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He played in the preseason games but has had an injury. I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Everyone played in the preseason games. Hoskins played 45 before the trip to portugal where he teamed with agdestein for one game, played 30 minutes alongside CMS in another (having replaced Bergkamp). Him playin in preseason doesn't exactly rule out the above conspiracy. He has been injured, but he has also been fit and remained as an unused sub (I would suggest being picked as a sub, whether used or not, is more evidence against the conspiracy suggested than the fact he played in pre-season).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Everyone played in the preseason games. Hoskins played 45 before the trip to portugal where he teamed with agdestein for one game, played 30 minutes alongside CMS in another (having replaced Bergkamp). Him playin in preseason doesn't exactly rule out the above conspiracy. He has been injured, but he has also been fit and remained as an unused sub (I would suggest being picked as a sub, whether used or not, is more evidence against the conspiracy suggested than the fact he played in pre-season).

His injury has only just cleared up having reoccured at Cardiff. He came on the pitch at Ipswich. When the score remained at 0-0, on Saturday, Gus wasn't going to take a chance on removing Barnes who was doing so much defensive work.

I've found the news item which said that Hoskins was now fit to play and it's dated 25/9/11. Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Craig Excited by Competition

We've played Palace where he was on the bench as an unused sub and Ipswich where he came on. The conspiracy theory doesn't hold up imo.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
His injury has only just cleared up having reoccured at Cardiff. He came on the pitch at Ipswich. When the score remained at 0-0, on Saturday, Gus wasn't going to take a chance on removing Barnes who was doing so much defensive work.

He played 5 minutes or so v leeds, was an unused sub v palace, ten minutes or so v ipswich, unused v hull. He's been fit enough to be part of a matchday squad that has limited available spots. I do not believe his injury is a major issue now, I think it is more match fitness that is the concern.

EDIT:
The conspiracy theory doesn't hold up imo.

I totally agree with that, just saying the fact he played preseason isn't really relevant given that every player did (including Bergkamp, who is the main focal point of the stevenson rumour).

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Having made my American Express Community Stadium debut with some Hull mates, I can confirm that Barnes would probably be a better footballer if he wore football boots on his feet rather than toblerones.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Agree with this. Defensively he has saved us this season and early season contibuted with some goals. However at the moment, although his first touch is woeful, I am not sure playing Hoskins who is a good deal lighter in terms of weight is going to help us in what is a very physical league.

Do you get Barnes mixed up with Bridcutt? Jesus f***ing christ, Barnes is INCREDIBLY lightweight, what player are you mistaking for Barnes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here