Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Former Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osbourne gets a new job...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Am I right in thinking that MPs no longer attend the House of Commons on a Friday, due to their unmanageable work load?And didn't they get a hefty pay rise because of the long hours they work? The only adult job apart from Teaching, where they get a week off in February, for half term. And three months in the summer, the HOC doesn't sit.
And they have the termeritry to tell us to work harder

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Precious little. We have a US president who repeats opinions he's heard on Fox News as if they're fact. We've a Labour leader who makes up stories about not being able to find a seat on a train. We've a Government which hasn't a clue what to do about Brexit but won't admit it.

Proper journalism is the best way to shine on a light on all this bullshit and represent the public interest. That's why proper journalism is worth fighting for and why Lebedev/Osborne have just made it even less likely to survive.
Well said.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Am I right in thinking that MPs no longer attend the House of Commons on a Friday, due to their unmanageable work load?And didn't they get a hefty pay rise because of the long hours they work? The only adult job apart from Teaching, where they get a week off in February, for half term. And three months in the summer, the HOC doesn't sit.

Well, Gideon is certainly working hard - that makes at least three jobs he's got.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

He is editor for 4 days only.
MP's go home on Thursday as Friday is the day you are supposed to see them at a surgery.
Along with his other jobs I wonder if he is editor on Friday or not, El Pres may be able to tell us if he is available on Fridays or not.
When he was Chancellor he probably had a stand in anyway.
Either way this just confirms to me that this steaming streak of piss has never and will never care about anyone else except himself and his type, but we have been saying this for years.
But is it as bad as Cameron who has fled to the hills and totally dumped his constituency and parliament.
What a waste of time that man was to this country and May is looking no better.

I was tempted to dismiss this story with the observation that it's only a local newspaper. But, even so, it's important that all branches of the media are properly managed.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
And there was me thinking I was busy

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Can't see Theresa May being overjoyed about this. I suspect Gideon might have a few scores to settle RE the nature of his departure from the Tory front bench.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If he's as crap at editing as he was at budgeting and forecasting then bye bye Standard!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's just symbolism. You need 200 hours a week to be a journalist or sub on a daily, let alone Editor.

But it does feel like the result of years of widespread thinking that professional journalism is something anyone can do. Feels quite similar to Tristram Hunt getting the V&A job. The age of being "tired of experts" is a joke.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Isn't editor a full time job and by staying as an MP i would have thought that a conflict if interest would arise from time to time

Exactly. For me, the two don't sit comfortably together for any number of reasons.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Can't see Theresa May being overjoyed about this. I suspect Gideon might have a few scores to settle RE the nature of his departure from the Tory front bench.

I heard Dawn Butler MP interviewed earlier saying the only positive thing to come out of all this is the potential for the government to be held to account over Brexit from a new, unwanted and unexpected avenue now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here