Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Blind Lemon Jefferson - best Bluesman ever?

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Had pleasure of seeing several live,John Lee Hooker,Sunny Boy Williamson, Sister Rosetta Tharp,Howlin Wolf. Also loved Leadbelly,Robert Johnson,forgot John Mayall,brillent live but best live to me is Howlin Wolf

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Had pleasure of seeing several live,John Lee Hooker,Sunny Boy Williamson, Sister Rosetta Tharp,Howlin Wolf.

I think I hate you

:)

If you want to some decent live blues in Brighton, go and see Eric Bibb at the Rialto on the 22nd - he's very good.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I think I hate you

:)

If you want to some decent live blues in Brighton, go and see Eric Bibb at the Rialto on the 22nd - he's very good.

I saw them all in Brighton in the 60s at vwhat was then called the Chinese Jazz club! If memory serves me right in may be about where concord rooms are.I saw several others but cant remember them all

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jailhouse Fingers Hopkins.

But I prefer Private Eye's favourite bluesman:

Blind Lemon Shandy Levine. :laugh:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Incidentally, whatever happened to Blues Jim? Busker in 1996 on George Street. Back in the late 70s, played support to the Piranhas at the Alhambra.

Polly Put the Kettle On. Classic. Loved him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All this talk has got me digging out my blues albums. I'm listening to Skip James right now

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Incidentally, whatever happened to Blues Jim? Busker in 1996 on George Street. Back in the late 70s, played support to the Piranhas at the Alhambra.

Polly Put the Kettle On. Classic. Loved him.

He was a regular support act at the Alhambra not just for the Piranhas

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
John Mayall must be up there. Have to confess to not being much of a Blues aficionado though. I like a track ot two and then it gets too samey for me :shrug:

No wonder you like the Mayall!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was a regular support act at the Alhambra not just for the Piranhas

Yes, yes, I know that. But where is he now?

Do you remember The Dandies? The singer was quite something.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I was reading a biography of JImmy Reed recently. He had a crippling drink problem and was often too pissed to play. On one occasion his manager locked him in his hotel room & barracaded the door
so he couldn't get out to have a drink. So Jimmy leant out of the window and persuaded a passerby to take some money and buy him a bottle of whiskey from the nearest offie and bring it back whereupon
he dangled a blanket out of the window, had him wrap the bottle in it so he could lift it up to his room. His manager unlocked the door several hours later to find him passed out with an empty bottle beside
him. What a man!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I was reading a biography of JImmy Reed recently. He had a crippling drink problem and was often too pissed to play. On one occasion his manager locked him in his hotel room & barracaded the door
so he couldn't get out to have a drink. So Jimmy leant out of the window and persuaded a passerby to take some money and buy him a bottle of whiskey from the nearest offie and bring it back whereupon
he dangled a blanket out of the window, had him wrap the bottle in it so he could lift it up to his room. His manager unlocked the door several hours later to find him passed out with an empty bottle beside
him. What a man!

Reminds me of George Jones's trip to town on his lawnmower, or Ozzy going out on the lash in his wife's wedding dress.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I'd add Charlie Musselwhite, B B King, Son House and Rory Gallagher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here