Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is it time to close down twitter and facebook to protect our national security

The BBC article doesn't read like he wants to shut it down at all - instead he says MI5 need more cooperation from these US service providers, which is a much more reasonable position.

[MENTION=4156]glasfryn[/MENTION], the problem with shutting them down is that the terrorists would just move to other encrypted methods of communicating over the internet. It sounds to me like MI5 want to take advantage of the ubiquitous nature of Facebook and Twitter, and just be able to monitor (or indeed have someone else monitor, on their behalf) these communication channels.

As someone else said earlier, the problem is not Facebook or Twitter specifically, but the nature of encryption on the internet. However with encryption (something which David Cameron rather comically suggested could be 'banned' in the UK) we wouldn't be able to do internet banking, shopping, or anything else that involved sensitive information on the internet. Encryption is here to stay, it's how the security services maintain their oversight role which is the tricky question.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The BBC article doesn't read like he wants to shut it down at all - instead he says MI5 need more cooperation from these US service providers, which is a much more reasonable position.
@glasfryn, the problem with shutting them down is that the terrorists would just move to other encrypted methods of communicating over the internet. It sounds to me like MI5 want to take advantage of the ubiquitous nature of Facebook and Twitter, and just be able to monitor (or indeed have someone else monitor, on their behalf) these communication channels.

As someone else said earlier, the problem is not Facebook or Twitter specifically, but the nature of encryption on the internet. However with encryption (something which David Cameron rather comically suggested could be 'banned' in the UK) we wouldn't be able to do internet banking, shopping, or anything else that involved sensitive information on the internet. Encryption is here to stay, it's how the security services maintain their oversight role which is the tricky question.

I do understand that.
it was my suggestion they shut it down, and I realise that by shutting them down they will move to other methods, but why make it easy for them to use whats there, the people that run these media should take some of the responsibility,it is it seems down to manhours again

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
as terrorists use both to undermine British security
discuss nicely please

I need to know that my irritating ex school associate who I pretend to like has been blessed with a beautiful wife and beautiful daughters and what they are having for dinner.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'll resort to going to games when I have had my open heart surgery ................thats when and if I can afford it

So this is a great example against your initial proposal of censorship. Is it a practical and proportionate solution that internet communications should be banned, thus restricting the ability of you, and people with similar conditions, from following your team and/or other news and interests online?

The answer would be no for most people.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hope you've learned a lesson mate, no good asking some posters to discuss nicely.

be nice if he actually discussed the issue at all, no points made in favour of the idea.

its a daft question any way, its like asking to ban Ford and Vauxhall cars to protect us from car accidents.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
be nice if he actually discussed the issue at all, no points made in favour of the idea.

its a daft question any way, its like asking to ban Ford and Vauxhall cars to protect us from car accidents.

I mean we could not survive without Twitter or Facebook!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

don't use either
so it would not matter to me

I really am not interested in what Melony had for breakfast ...........thanks

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
So this is a great example against your initial proposal of censorship. Is it a practical and proportionate solution that internet communications should be banned, thus restricting the ability of you, and people with similar conditions, from following your team and/or other news and interests online?

The answer would be no for most people.

NO just twitter and face book ...........how would effect anything else

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Because if you're only going to censor 2 means of social media, it's pointless. And what about all the housebound people that take a great deal of pleasure from keeping up with friends and family on Facebook, or by following their favourite sportsmen, celebs, writers etc. on Twitter?? Take liberties like that away from them and the terrorists have won.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think we should ban facebook and twitter - f*** all to do with security, i just think we should ban them :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think all Melanies should spell their names Melony.

It has such wonderful connotations.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Christ are you still going on? I'll humour you...

What exact aspects of FB/Twitter (I don't know why I'm even bothering to ask, since you clearly don't use either) exactly are you referring to that make these websites SO useful to 'Terrorists' that blocking them would make any impact what so ever upon safety? What would stop Mr & Mrs Terrorist from simply moving to a different website (assuming of course, that they are using FB/Twatter to communicate in the first place, which if you have half a brain (debateable) you'll know to be false, because much more secure options exist).

In essence what you are asking for is for something that you don't use and have absolutely zero understanding of to be banned and are extremely naively believing that 'shutting down' (not that this country has any power to do so) these would have any effect beyond making everyone switch to an alternative social network?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Christ are you still going on? I'll humour you...

What exact aspects of FB/Twitter (I don't know why I'm even bothering to ask, since you clearly don't use either) exactly are you referring to that make these websites SO useful to 'Terrorists' that blocking them would make any impact what so ever upon safety? What would stop Mr & Mrs Terrorist from simply moving to a different website (assuming of course, that they are using FB/Twatter to communicate in the first place, which if you have half a brain (debateable) you'll know to be false, because much more secure options exist).

In essence what you are asking for is for something that you don't use and have absolutely zero understanding of to be banned and are extremely naively believing that 'shutting down' (not that this country has any power to do so) these would have any effect beyond making everyone switch to an alternative social network?

simple really its two less for them to use...........................I would have thought someone as clever as you would have thought of that

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
simple really its two less for them to use...........................I would have thought someone as clever as you would have thought of that

But it would make zero difference, as they would just use alternative means, as they would have done to organise the 11/09/01 and 7/7/05 attacks.

It seems that the reason you don't see the problem of banning something that millions of normal law-abiding people enjoy using is because you don't use it yourself. A very selfish and solipsistic viewpoint.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Do you genuinely believe that there is a finite supply of websites in the world? What exactly do you think is going to stop people from starting a NEW one exactly? If you're going to post such half-baked drivel at least flesh it out a bit so it vagely resembles a plan, not just the mad ramblings of a senile old man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here