Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I went for my first "run" on Monday. I've done nout prior to this.

Being the clever soul I am I decided to go straight to 10k (ovingdean to Brighton pier and back).

Horrible. Utterly horrible. I don't know how people can ENJOY this :lolol:

My HIPS felt ABUSED. One the one hand I was happy to have pushed myself (probably too far too soon) but shocked at how quickly fatigue kicked in on my legs (about 6k in I was DONE).

Please tell me it gets better. I've got the half marathon in Feb!

Honestly it does get better but would recommend you look at a structured training programme for getting up to HM distance, too much too soon will just result in injury and consequent misery. Theres stacks of information out there on Runners World or in this board to suggest how you build up. Parkrun 5ks a great way to start- come and join us at Hove Park on Saturday for a start! Join a gym and do some core strengthening exercises, think about joining a running club for loads of advice.

It will get better!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Being the clever soul I am I decided to go straight to 10k (ovingdean to Brighton pier and back).

My HIPS felt ABUSED. One the one hand I was happy to have pushed myself (probably too far too soon) but shocked at how quickly fatigue kicked in on my legs (about 6k in I was DONE).

Yeah it gets better.. but i think the main thing is to take things slowly and i know it sounds a bit naff, but do listen to your body. Doing a 10K from nothing, no wonder your hips weren't feeling it! but well done for trying to push yourself! I know it prob sounds obvious but If your feeling tired or things start to feel achy or sore just ease of a bit. I did a lunch time park run on Tuesday and had to stop at 1.8miles because of sore shines, i couldn't run anymore if you paid me.. It happens, most people on this thread will tell you that amongst the good/great runs, you'll have runs that absolutely stink.. but just rest, don't take it too seriously and go out again. Have fun!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Honestly it does get better but would recommend you look at a structured training programme for getting up to HM distance, too much too soon will just result in injury and consequent misery. Theres stacks of information out there on Runners World or in this board to suggest how you build up. Parkrun 5ks a great way to start- come and join us at Hove Park on Saturday for a start! Join a gym and do some core strengthening exercises, think about joining a running club for loads of advice.

It will get better!

All of this. You just did a bit too much too soon. Build up gradually......

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011

Don't believe these guys, they are just in denial, running sucks 😃 just look at the article below to see you are not alone

http://mensrunninguk.co.uk/health/runners-think-about-how-much-they-hate-running-when-running/

Actually most times I love running but it can be pretty hard and tough when your body does not want to know. Give yourself a break and build up slowly and enjoy it, you have lots of time before the half.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Don't believe these guys, they are just in denial, running sucks �� just look at the article below to see you are not alone

http://mensrunninguk.co.uk/health/runners-think-about-how-much-they-hate-running-when-running/

Actually most times I love running but it can be pretty hard and tough when your body does not want to know. Give yourself a break and build up slowly and enjoy it, you have lots of time before the half.

When i run, i mostly think about food. what im going to have for dinner etc etc...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I feel like I've regressed about 6 months. I've had two and a half weeks away from running, much of which was off work. I ate, I drank, I was merry but I didn't run.

My "no more excuses, time to get out" day on Wednesday coincided with coming down with a heavy cold and my 10km was a dreadful effort. My first mile was at my usual pace but I then just got slower and s-l-o-w-e-r. I didn't push myself at all, but I'm not sure I had much more to give. I'm still full of cold but have just done another short run that also didn't feel like much fun.

I guess the main thing is I'm back on it and, when the cold clears, I hope I find I've not lost too much during my lazy/greedy spell.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I feel like I've regressed about 6 months. I've had two and a half weeks away from running, much of which was off work. I ate, I drank, I was merry but I didn't run.

My "no more excuses, time to get out" day on Wednesday coincided with coming down with a heavy cold and my 10km was a dreadful effort. My first mile was at my usual pace but I then just got slower and s-l-o-w-e-r. I didn't push myself at all, but I'm not sure I had much more to give. I'm still full of cold but have just done another short run that also didn't feel like much fun.

I guess the main thing is I'm back on it and, when the cold clears, I hope I find I've not lost too much during my lazy/greedy spell.

Similar here. Fully intended to stick with my programme on holiday but it was just too hot and humid - was falling to bits after 30 mins, so feels like 2 weeks of nothing as I lost all enthusiasm and didn't run at all for 4 days at one point (anyone in the NSC strava group can see how crap these runs were). Had a couple of runs this week and whilst I am a bit off the pace, it's not as much as I feared....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had a couple of runs this week and whilst I am a bit off the pace, it's not as much as I feared....

.......just as I feared. Bottle of red needed. Off on holiday myself Tuesday but will probably have to run every day just to keep warm. One of the destinations is on Skysports5 now. Should have booked IKEA car park from what I saw before kick off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
.......just as I feared. Bottle of red needed. Off on holiday myself Tuesday but will probably have to run every day just to keep warm. One of the destinations is on Skysports5 now. Should have booked IKEA car park from what I saw before kick off.

Could've been worse, at least you're not going to Gibraltar (although from the town centre to the top of the rock and back is about 5k, and a guaranteed massive negative split [emoji3])

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My knee is still feeling really sore and even after 2 weeks off, I'm not feeling it is ready to get back running on. I've been doing lunges and squats, and general stretching exercises to strengthen the muscles but I'm not feeling much closer to a return right now. :down:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
A good NSC turnout at Hove Park Park Run today with no fewer than 5 of us running today.

My barcode hasn't scanned properly but my Garmin timed in at 19:17 taking the NSC Park Run record of 19:33 held since 2009 by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/888348911

Congratulations [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] (or is it @usain now?) outstanding time and still improving. Also saw [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] plus [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]6's son makes seven NSCer's this morning. It shows how high the standard is now - I ran a pretty good time for me 20:46, only 15 secs off my pb, and still finished fifth of those seven.

Congratulations @bignuts (or is it @usain now?) outstanding time and still improving. Also saw [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] plus [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]6's son makes seven NSCer's this morning. It shows how high the standard is now - I ran a pretty good time for me 20:46, only 15 secs off my pb, and still finished fifth of those seven.

Some good times today. A more leisurely 21:23 for me today at Hove Park, but I had ran a marathon last Monday.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Congratulations @bignuts (or is it @usain now?) outstanding time and still improving. Also saw [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] plus [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]6's son makes seven NSCer's this morning. It shows how high the standard is now - I ran a pretty good time for me 20:46, only 15 secs off my pb, and still finished fifth of those seven.

I think if there was a 5k relay race then NSC would perform very well. There are some pretty good runners out there, some of which weren't there today.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] be patient and don't rush back before you're ready, might be worth seeing a physio for treatment and advice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think if there was a 5k relay race then NSC would perform very well. There are some pretty good runners out there, some of which weren't there today.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] be patient and don't rush back before you're ready, might be worth seeing a physio for treatment and advice.

Agreed. Good running everyone, especially [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] with the new NSC HP record. Out of my reach but will keep trying anyway !

Found it tough today and almost stopped on the back straight. Started off too fast. Only half a dozen seconds off my Pb in the end though so very happy with that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
T
A good NSC turnout at Hove Park Park Run today with no fewer than 5 of us running today.

My barcode hasn't scanned properly but my Garmin timed in at 19:17 taking the NSC Park Run record of 19:33 held since 2009 by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/888348911

Congratulations. You have to beat my PB now 17:45. Probably will as well.

Annoying for your Bar Code to not be read. Mine wasn't either. Not even registered as a runner today. Did you use the middle lane? My watch time was 20:25.

The end result is [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] gets my Hove Park record he already unknowingly held. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] beat me again but certainly helps my time, I skipped through a gap to go past him after 1k and within seconds he powered by and kicked up the hill. [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] ambled by listening to some tunes and helped as a pacer. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] helped me with our early fast pace. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] was behind me for the first time in weeks :smile::smile:and Happy 50th to Mrs Simgull. Great smiling finish from 6666junior.

All in all a good run. As Godfather I am glad the spirit of the NSC challenge has worked so well.
[MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s Teacher you are the champion. I failed to match your winning Age Grade percentage. 75% something for me. I'm aiming to get you and Dazzer6666 in the next 12 months!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
T

Annoying for your Bar Code to not be read. Mine wasn't either. Not even registered as a runner today. Did you use the middle lane? My watch time was 20:25.

The end result is [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] gets my Hove Park record he already unknowingly held. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] beat me again but certainly helps my time, I skipped through a gap to go past him after 1k and within seconds he powered by and kicked up the hill. [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] ambled by listening to some tunes and helped as a pacer. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] helped me with our early fast pace. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] was behind me for the first time in weeks :smile::smile:and Happy 50th to Mrs Simgull. Great smiling finish from 6666junior.

All in all a good run. As Godfather I am glad the spirit of the NSC challenge has worked so well.

[MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s Teacher you are the champion. I failed to match your winning Age Grade percentage. 75% something for me. I'm aiming to get you and Dazzer6666 in the next 12 months!

Very annoying it hasn't registered, I have emailed them pleading for them to make the record official. As for your pb set back in 1979 I'm not sure I'm going to go sub 18 anytime soon.

Good confidence boost for me today as conditions weren't ideal, aims now sub 19 5k, sub 40 10k and sub 1:30 half marathon hope to have them fulfilled by the Brighton half in Feb.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
T

Cheers Knocky. You pushed me very close and I suspect that when you are on or near top form the age-graded title is yours to take. I plan to the HP parkrun next week so we'll see how that goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here