Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion fan issued with five game ban after social media post

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Without posting links or naming names then, can you not just put up what was written that caused the kerfuffle ?

#noseyparker

:lol:

That’s the best invitation to get someone a 5-game ban I’ve ever seen!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, as an away fan buying a ticket for a match at the Amex, I am expected to do everything within my power and control to protect and enhance the good name of Brighton & Hove Albion FC?

Stuff that. :D

I wouldn't worry, unless we draw you in the cup it's unlikely to happen again anytime soon.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think the club are doing this lad a favour. It was distasteful but nothing more, but to send it to both BHA and WBA is ****ing stupid. And this stupidity will eventually get him in far deeper water, or a hard punch in the face, if it’s allowed to continue unchecked.

Barber In.

Unfortunately, social media did not exist for me to make a prat of myself in 1974 and so I had to use the alternative method of learning my lesson. Hence, Just outside the Top Rank Suite, I got my first broken nose.

Kids today don't know they're born :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Let's be clear: if it comes down to me being in court facing financial ruin for something someone I don't know has written on here, or the person who wrote it being in court, themselves then I'd much prefer the latter. I'll not apologise for that.

Is that really correct (genuine question). Can you be held legally accountable for the words written by someone you've never met? If I give a lift to a 'friend of a friend' in my car who quickly winds down the window and shouts racial or homophobic abuse out of the window, am I responsible 'as the driver of the car' ?

Sure I can make him apologise, and kick him out of the car - but at that particular moment I had no control over what he did and said. Just like you have no control over someone as they are typing, then posting, until it's done.

Not sure if I've made that clear, but hopefully you get my drift....

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Just seems very big brother.

I must do everything within my power to protect and enhance the good name of the club in any way or through any means at all times!? **** off! That is absolute nonsense. Reads like something out of a cult.

I’d forgotten about that clause. I was going to write to the club about it because it is poorly worded and pretty much contractually unenforceable. It is in within my powers to give up my job and spend 24/7 protecting and enhancing the club’s name, but I’m not going to do that.

When my company signs consultancy agreements my lawyers change “everything within my powers” and “at all times” to “reasonably”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is that really correct (genuine question). Can you be held legally accountable for the words written by someone you've never met? If I give a lift to a 'friend of a friend' in my car who quickly winds down the window and shouts racial or homophobic abuse out of the window, am I responsible 'as the driver of the car' ?

Sure I can make him apologise, and kick him out of the car - but at that particular moment I had no control over what he did and said. Just like you have no control over someone as they are typing, then posting, until it's done.

No, you can't. But in this case, Bozza is providing the electronic platform for views to be expressed, and therefore *could* be held liable for those if he wasn't viewed as taking swift enough action to prevent or remove such posts in a reasonable period of time.

There is nothing you, as a car driver, could reasonably do to stop a mate shouting abuse out of a car window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I've not looked recently so see if case law has moved on in this area, but technically NSC is the publisher of what people write on here.

I'd rather not be a test case!

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Someon sent an offensive post to the clubs?!

Deserves a 5-game ban for moronic behaviour, leaving aside any offensiveness. Did they say in mitigation that their phone had been stolen by Wayne Hennessey by any chance?

Yes! In 'that photo' he was clearly holding it up to offer it back (it was a tiny phone and he was holding it under his thumb) - and he was doing that 'footballer thing' of covering his mouth whilst saying 'twas me who nicked your phone, you can have it back now'

All makes sense.... ???

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Don't have a problem with it to be honest. People get away with saying some disgraceful things on social media with no recriminations at all, which only empowers their awful view to become louder and more powerful next time, and next time.

If the club deems someone to have said something in the club's name that they deem offensive, why shouldn't they ban them? Maybe people might start being more considerate of what they say if they start to lose out?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Did anybody see these tweets? Did anybody on here complain?

I said it after Zaha claimed he was sent racist abuse & death threats I found it weird that nobody had seen them, and no screenshots existed and the same here. If the abuse was bad enough to warrant a five game ban and visible enough to lead to numerous complaints then surely someone on here would have seen it? :shrug:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

Its more like... you have given your mates a lift to the bank while they pick up some money (loads of money), you wait outside with the engine running while they get the money. They then jump in the car and you drive off. All you have done is drive a car.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've not looked recently so see if case law has moved on in this area, but technically NSC is the publisher of what people write on here.

I'd rather not be a test case!

I run a forum myself which is also a 'fan site', but of a specific brand. It's a lot more 'genteel' than here (not hard, really.. :lolol:) but often people would post insider info on product releases - some of which were under NDA's.

At no point did they ever threaten legal action as there was bugger all they could do - but I often used to pull the posts and send the poster an email to explain why. Whilst I wasn't 'accountable' I'd rather not have pissed the company off - which would be counter productive being a fan site.

At the end of the day Bozza, it's your train set - and you can play with it how you like. Running a Forum is a lot harder than people realise. :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I think the marketing department of our glorious club are fantastic and totally on the ball. I love the way the glorious leader is running the club on behalf of our benefactor and I am honoured to be called a customer.

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea that we shouldn't bring in flasks, bottles or concealed hip flasks. In fact I would go further and suggest no one is allowed to bring anything in to the ground at all and recommend as we have a captive audience, all food and drink prices be increased 5000 fold.

I would ban cameras and mobile phones in the stadium and all swearing and cussing!

Make it so Mr Glorious Leader.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Its more like... you have given your mates a lift to the bank while they pick up some money (loads of money), you wait outside with the engine running while they get the money. They then jump in the car and you drive off. All you have done is drive a car.

So you're likening an offensive tweet to an armed robbery? :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Did anybody see these tweets? Did anybody on here complain?

I said it after Zaha claimed he was sent racist abuse & death threats I found it weird that nobody had seen them, and no screenshots existed and the same here. If the abuse was bad enough to warrant a five game ban and visible enough to lead to numerous complaints then surely someone on here would have seen it? :shrug:

Well no one knows for sure which tweet(s) this incident refers to.

If it's the one I think it is, there was no abuse as such, and nothing for the police to be bothered with. Just an off colour remark, no doubt trying to be funny. At which point righteous offence was taken and a crusade started.

And if it was that serious the ban would be way more than 5 matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here