Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] OT - Redundancy

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Plenty of jobs around, the trouble is they tend to polarise between £8.50 an hour or £36k + a year, i'm in a dead end poorly paid job and have been looking for 6 months, i'm seriously considering trying to apply to Higgidy Pies who always seem to have jobs going.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've been made redundant twice. The worst time was the first time, in 2005, as I was out of work for nearly 8 months but ended up contracting for the next 6 years, which made me good money.

The 2nd time was the most scary, finding out mid November you are going to be made redundant in early January when you have 4 kids to feed wasn't not a good feeling. It was 2 years ago today actually that I left the job but thankfully I had something lined up straight away so the bills could still be paid, I didn't enjoy the new job though and moved into my current role about 10 months later and it's a job I absolutly love.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Why would you brick it at 44 as there's loads of jobs around?44 is s great age to be honest and plenty of opportunities out there and maybe a change of career would be good ?
Its so good I've had 3 jobs in a year and a career change at the same age....:)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I’ve recently been made redundant and at 44 I am struggling to find a new role, anybody got any tips for keeping sane as I can feel the dark clouds gathering? or stories where redundancy has actually been a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do some charitable work but choose a charity where you would use some of the skills you had in previous work.

Try and stick to the larger charities where paid jobs will invariably crop up from time to time and then something might come from that and in the interim you would be learning and doing some good work in the community

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Good luck finding another job. Voluntary work could be an option till you find something more permanent. Best of luck op.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Just a heads up for yourself or anyone looking for a change of career but thinking they may be too old....
Brighton & Hove buses take on staff up to the age of around 55. They reckon on getting a good few years out of older people as they are less likely to leave than youngsters and generally are more reliable and less of a risk.
For what you do and a for a steady income it isn't a bad number. All that they require is for you to have a driving licence and a bit of common sense. You get paid whilst training and a job for life if you want it.
You have nothing to lose by enquiring.
Good luck

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Being made redundant at 44 is not too bad. I've made redundant five times - at 42, 44, 46, 52 and 58. The first few times, it was relatively easy to get back into work.

I don't know what you do but take a bit of time to think whether you want a change or not: are you in an industry that's in decline - if you are, it may be better to retrain or head in another direction. I'd certainly do something while you're looking, whether it's working for yourself or voluntary work.

Good luck with it

Huw Jorgan

Oct 17, 2018
I got made redundant after about 15 years, be prepared to take a job you don’t really want to tide you over until the right job comes along, in my experience employers like to recruit someone already in a job rather than someone who is unemployed.
Good luck to the OP, your luck will change.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I’ve recently been made redundant and at 44 I am struggling to find a new role, anybody got any tips for keeping sane as I can feel the dark clouds gathering? or stories where redundancy has actually been a good thing?

Similar situation at a similar age... Approached by an old colleague to set up a new insurer in a market we both know well. Having a really bad time at work at the time... Bully for a boss, so jumped and decided to live off reserves for a few months while trying to raise capital for business (big numbers so scary task).

Short version is that it never worked out, burnt through savings and into borrowings. Took too long to call it a day and ended up having to take a huge step down to 'repair' CV a bit. Couple of years on and went back to role close to previous level (deliberately chose something a step down from original starting point to reduce stress).

6months or so in and back to being happy at work, respected and successful. Self-esteem rebuilt, just need to rebuild finances slowly.

Message from me... At the same age you are I voluntarily took the leap (sort of) and stumbled badly. But I took a little time and focused on what made me happy and went for that.
A few rejections of the 'over-qualified' variety but found my role with 3months of deciding exactly what I wanted and spending a lot of time and effort in getting it. Worth it though. Happiest I have been in a long time.

Sometimes a break, however traumatic at the time, makes you think about priorities and what makes you happy. Use the time to set out exactly what you want from the next 20years and go and grab it.

Best of luck!

Jul 7, 2003
First the positive - I was made redundant a few years ago and ended up taking a short term job that led to a different career path I wouldn't have otherwise been on and it has worked out well for me.

However, that was a 30% reduction in my previous salary so you sometimes have to take a few steps back to move forward again but my reasoning was that some income is better than none and I was only on that reduced salary for a short time before proving my worth in my new role and getting increases.

To keep sane, as others have said you need to keep a routine and treat your job hunting like a job. Remember to get up at a proper time, take time looking for jobs in all sorts of places - don't just wait for an agency to call you. Even little things make a difference - if you are usually clean shaven then keep shaving, don't just get lazy as you don't feel you have to shave.

Also, try and find something to do during the days to break up the job hunting. I watched a few Albion reserve games, I would go racing at Plumpton and Fontwell (doing tiny bets at the bookies for interest), meet up for lunch with friends or old colleagues to keep up adult conversation.

You could even look to volunteer to help a charity during some of the time. It will keep you occupied, do some good but also looks good on a CV.

Good luck

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for all the advice guys, knew nsc would help, some really good tips in there and I am planning on starting afresh tomorrow!

For those asking I have a wife, five year old and mortgage which does complicate things somewhat but I’m sure it will work out! Thanks!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What do you/did you do for a living? Did you enjoy it? Do you have contacts who could help you into similar work?
Looking back on my last 33 years of work I was always 'headhunted' even though I probably didn't realise it including a redundancy until I decided to work for myself back in 2007. If you have a genuine skill/qualification/experience you should pick up work pretty quickly (given contacts).
Best Wishes in any case.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
What do you/did you do for a living? Did you enjoy it? Do you have contacts who could help you into similar work?
Looking back on my last 33 years of work I was always 'headhunted' even though I probably didn't realise it including a redundancy until I decided to work for myself back in 2007. If you have a genuine skill/qualification/experience you should pick up work pretty quickly (given contacts).
Best Wishes in any case.

Data analyst and yeah I did enjoy it, I’ve tried asking around contacts but nobody seems to be hiring at present, sure it will pick up though, thanks!

Jul 7, 2003
Data analyst and yeah I did enjoy it, I’ve tried asking around contacts but nobody seems to be hiring at present, sure it will pick up though, thanks!

If you haven't done so already, update your LinkedIn profile and set your profile to show you are available. Despite not looking for a new job at the moment, I have had a few pulls from people on there recently asking if I would be interested in roles.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Very Best of Luck for 2019, don't worry my experience is that you will find something pretty quickly which will do in the short term to pay the bills even if it isn't quite right before you find the right job in the long term.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I have been through this several times and, depending on the ******** in charge at the time, it was described as being made redundant, paid off, de-layered, let go, rationalised, fired, sacked, released for my own good, down-sized and/or invited to explore opportunities elsewhere. They all told me it wasn't personal (unlike my responses). On the last occasion I was 55 and my Dad had just passed away. It was only then that I appreciated that the only place I was really redundant was in my own home ... oops! Amidst the swirl of confusion, anger and resentment a few things stood out for me:
  • Move back to Sussex
  • Sod commuting
  • Find a company that genuinely cares about life/work balance
  • Walk out of any interview conducted by a dickhead
  • Don't go to interviews anywhere remotely corporate
  • Accept the salary on offer ... money really isn't that important (if you're half as good as you think you are, opportunities will come up)

I'm now coming up to my 5th anniversary with a company that sends me all over the world doing stuff I enjoy. I take the Mrs with me most of the time (I guess not everyone would see that as a blessing). I work from home 2 or 3 days a week; at least one of those involves a round of golf and another a session of walking football. I don't have a car. I do have a life.

Most importantly, I have absolutely no fears that I will be fine even if something over which I have no control results in me being out of work next week.

Good luck to OP and all others currently in a similar situation. Hopefully you won't be a stubborn old **** like me and have to go through this more than once before you discover how liberating it can be.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Really depends on your situation. My 18 year old step daughter started her very first job today, working part time in Sainsbury's. She has to go around and pick the online orders, £9.45 an hour. I always assumed they were on or just over minimum wage and even less for an 18 year old. Not bad as a stop gap or even a proper job for some people.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I have been through this several times and, depending on the ******** in charge at the time, it was described as being made redundant, paid off, de-layered, let go, rationalised, fired, sacked, released for my own good, down-sized and/or invited to explore opportunities elsewhere. They all told me it wasn't personal (unlike my responses). On the last occasion I was 55 and my Dad had just passed away. It was only then that I appreciated that the only place I was really redundant was in my own home ... oops! Amidst the swirl of confusion, anger and resentment a few things stood out for me:
  • Move back to Sussex
  • Sod commuting
  • Find a company that genuinely cares about life/work balance
  • Walk out of any interview conducted by a dickhead
  • Don't go to interviews anywhere remotely corporate
  • Accept the salary on offer ... money really isn't that important (if you're half as good as you think you are, opportunities will come up)

I'm now coming up to my 5th anniversary with a company that sends me all over the world doing stuff I enjoy. I take the Mrs with me most of the time (I guess not everyone would see that as a blessing). I work from home 2 or 3 days a week; at least one of those involves a round of golf and another a session of walking football. I don't have a car. I do have a life.

Most importantly, I have absolutely no fears that I will be fine even if something over which I have no control results in me being out of work next week.

Good luck to OP and all others currently in a similar situation. Hopefully you won't be a stubborn old **** like me and have to go through this more than once before you discover how liberating it can be.

:smile:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here