Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dr Who

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Good God. I only recently watched the Rosa one with my son and thought it was preachy, subtle as a sledgehammer and written in the style of somebody knocking something out on a friday afternoon. If that's as good as it gets the rest of it can get wiped from the sky planner.

unfortunately, that was by far the best episode, which just goes to show how far the show has fallen from some of the fantastic episodes from the first 5 years of the rebooted version. Just compare that to "Dalek" and "Blink" to name just two and the magnitude of the long slow decline can be seen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wish the Albion had a Sonic Screwdriver playing up front, as there's nothing it can't do I assume it would be a hat-trick a game striker.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finally a proper enemy to face!

Not really.

48 minutes of running about.
Then the Dr will point the Sonic Screwdriver at them and they'll all get blasted to a different dimension.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not really.

48 minutes of running about.
Then the Dr will point the Sonic Screwdriver at them and they'll all get blasted to a different dimension.

Nonsense. If this season has taught us anything, it'll be that the daleks aren't really the bad guys. It'll end where it will be revealed they are there to exterminate an entity that threatens to wipe out humanity, thus save us, but some evil politician/business man from earth is behind the entity and wants to wipe out humanity for reasons, and the doctor will make friends with the daleks.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Well that was truly abysmal.

I have to say this series has been a massive disappointment. Like Peter Capaldi before Jodie has been massively let down by the writing in this series. I don’t where to begin. It has just been atrocious despite Jodie’s best efforts.

There is just no gravitas to the new Dr Who, no character building, it’s like she is a sidekick to the “companions” who frankly I just can’t like. Only Bradley Walsh’s character is believable, likeable and adds something. The rest are just hanging on. I’m fed up with it all now. I’ll be amazed if the ratings have held on after their highly massively hyped and marketed start.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
unfortunately, that was by far the best episode, which just goes to show how far the show has fallen from some of the fantastic episodes from the first 5 years of the rebooted version. Just compare that to "Dalek" and "Blink" to name just two and the magnitude of the long slow decline can be seen.

Haven't watched it yet.

The series has been just fine in terms of writing, plots, effects and performance. Apart from one thing. And I say this without any concerns about gender. Yes, the actor who plays the doctors, who I have never seen before, has an irritating manner, and a tendency to pull a gormless goofy face when a bit of gravitas would be more useful. If find it disappointing.

I have read [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION]'s report and, however, no surprise, I disagree with the comments about Capaldi. I found watching the episodes live to be disappointing (I am a big Malcolm Tucker fan and was hoping for some mayhem). However me and Mrs T watched the entire Capaldi series again on vid and it is MUCH better second time. Capaldi is grumpy and remote, the closest yet to Hartnell, and not as likeable as Smith or the jock with the English accent, but the series is good. Very good.

I will watch the latest series again on vid later this year but I suspect it will take a lot for me to warm to the current Doctor. Anyway, I will pop back later after I have watched the finale. Who knows....if it is the best episode maybe I'll change my mind (Mrs T likes the new Doctor and she has good judgement). The actor must own the character....I just feel that the current actor may never do so. I hated Tom Baker initially, but eventually found his somewhat actorly persona quite endearing. I loved his cameo in a recent series. Ah well...

gormless.PNG

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You guys are getting annoyed about children's tv being...... children's tv. What the holy **** do you expect?

It was dark, edgy and scary when we were kids, because we were kids. If it was dark edgy and scary now, to adults, then it would be on at 10pm and wouldn't still be aimed at children.

Watch it and enjoy it by all means if that's your thing, to each their own. But it's never going to be Gomorrah FFS so stop moaning.

Dr Who is and always has been a kid's show. Adults complaining about it is a bit embarrassing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You guys are getting annoyed about children's tv being...... children's tv. What the holy **** do you expect?

It was dark, edgy and scary when we were kids, because we were kids. If it was dark edgy and scary now, to adults, then it would be on at 10pm and wouldn't still be aimed at children.

Watch it and enjoy it by all means if that's your thing, to each their own. But it's never going to be Gomorrah FFS so stop moaning.

Dr Who is and always has been a kid's show. Adults complaining about it is a bit embarrassing.

Boo!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

Disagree. The time slot it is in and the channel it is on suggest it is a mainstream family show. If it was just for kids, it would be shown on CBBC or on a weekday afternoon.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Sorry I have to disagree, I watched it with both my children and all three of us thought it was complete and utter pants.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Sorry I have to disagree, I watched it with both my children and all three of us thought it was complete and utter pants.
Lol! A few years back we tried watching a few episodes of it, for my son. He said it was crap and "for little kids". He was about 9 at the time.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Disagree. The time slot it is in and the channel it is on suggest it is a mainstream family show. If it was just for kids, it would be shown on CBBC or on a weekday afternoon.
Mrs Brown's Boys is on at 10 tonight but only a five year old would find that funny. There's no relevance in what time a show is aired.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Mrs Brown's Boys is on at 10 tonight but only a five year old would find that funny. There's no relevance in what time a show is aired.

I beg to differ, I believe most 5 year olds are too intelligent to laugh at Mrs Browns Boys

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

but the rebooted vetrsion in the early years had some truley great episodes-dalek was certainly not for kids

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

For me, I am "annoyed" that it is now so poor compared to the Russell T Davies version - particularly the halcyon days of (new) series 4 which for me was the David Tennant pinnacle.

I haven't yet seen tonight's episode, so not really including that in the above.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here