Wayne Bridge
Stephen Ward
Joe Bennett
Gaetan Bong
Markus Suttner

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think most of the defence could be blamed for first goal.. does makes mistakes but recovers brilliantly.

Bernardo is significantly better than Scheletto. Better at defending and more constructive coming forward. Been MOTM twice recently and could have got it again tonight.

Why are you comparing a right back ie Schellotto with a left back Bernardo the comparison would be with Bong but if you persist in a right back he is not as good as Bruno or Montoya in that position.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So where does Bernado sit in this list

Harry Wilson
Chris Cattlin
Gary Williams
Graham Pearce
Ian Chapman
Mauricio Taricco
Wayne Bridge
Stephen Ward
Joe Bennett
Gaetan Bong
Markus Suttner

I would put him behind Bridge then Ward. Don't think it fair to include Taricco as he was just an emergency full back for us. You also forgot to include Sammy Nelson!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tbh as soon as lacazette touches the ball from baloguns “clearance” he should’ve been flagged offside

Disagree. They said that on MOTD but think they are wrong. He deliberately didn't play the ball and we should have let the ball run out of play. Balogun collecting the ball and trying to clear becomes a different phase.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Disagree. They said that on MOTD but think they are wrong. He deliberately didn't play the ball and we should have let the ball run out of play. Balogun collecting the ball and trying to clear becomes a different phase.

Not sure the ball had the guts to make it over the line hence he tried to clear it

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I think that generally he is getting better game by game BUT he appeared to be targeted by Arsenal at the start of the game as our weak link and was partially at fault for their goal but he got his head down and improved as the game wore on. In time he may prove to be better than Wayne Bridge and Jimmy Langley but not as yet as good as those two.

I dont see how you can compare a left back from the 1950's, to a left back in todays modern game.
Yes Jimmy Langley was a great full back, but the game is a lot faster now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont see how you can compare a left back from the 1950's, to a left back in todays modern game.
Yes Jimmy Langley was a great full back, but the game is a lot faster now.

I was comparing the value to us as a player in the situation and conditions that he found himself under not saying that he was better overall but at the time and in the circumstances. Failing that Bernado would probably rate higher than Wayne Bridge as again the game has progressed since his days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So where does Bernado sit in this list

Harry Wilson
Chris Cattlin
Gary Williams
Graham Pearce
Ian Chapman
Mauricio Taricco
Wayne Bridge
Stephen Ward
Joe Bennett
Gaetan Bong
Markus Suttner

Just below Harry Wilson, obviously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's your opinion though. How long before he is deemed not to have been offside then.

It is about phase of play. If he had run on and got the ball he would have been off. He didn't and wasn't and the game continued. Our boy got the ball instead. There was a bit of standing off and we enter a new phase of play. When the ball hit him he was no longer offside.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
It is about phase of play. If he had run on and got the ball he would have been off. He didn't and wasn't and the game continued. Our boy got the ball instead. There was a bit of standing off and we enter a new phase of play. When the ball hit him he was no longer offside.

Exactly as I saw it. Balogun should've just allowed the ball to run out or for Lacazette to engage him.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Why are you comparing a right back ie Schellotto with a left back Bernardo the comparison would be with Bong but if you persist in a right back he is not as good as Bruno or Montoya in that position.

Not about left or right, London Irish was commenting on praise scheletto had had previously prior to being phased out.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Think we have to install him at left back now and not be tempted to bounce him around as cover. It wasn't his main position elsewhere but was our biggest need.

Bong a very capable back-up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here