Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Chancellor isn't exactly painting a rosey picture in the Commons Treasury committee.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...me-limited-backstop-says-dublin-politics-live

Q: This time last year, when you were asked if you thought any of the benefits of future trade deals would outweigh the losses of leaving, you could not say. Can you say today?

Hammond says the preliminary Whitehall analysis, leaked and subsequently published, did contain figures for both those factors - benefits from trade deals, and losses from leaving the EU.

Q: And under all Brexit scenarios the economy takes a hit.

Hammond says this is based on an economic model looking at the longterm impact. None of the outcomes was the government’s preferred model. But each of those models showed the economy doing worse than under the status quo.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I suppose in your long life someone must have swooned before you but it sure as heck wasn't me - although to be fair I haven't got a clue what 'swoons into a feint' actually means. Just as you don't seem to know what "ignore" means.

PS You're right in saying I once called someone a liar. I didn't enjoy doing so but it was a provable fact and the individual concerned just kept repeating it.

You mention me numerous times in your posts to others ... are you sure you aren't slightly obsessed/besotted?

It's a provable fact in the same way people who have repeatedly argued for a second referendum hoping to reverse the first result are undemocratic loons. Speaking of which...

All your questions would be fair if the proposal was simply for a rerun of the previous referendum. But that's not the case.

Imagine if everyone in your family was asked if they would like to leave their present house and buy a new one in Acacia Avenue. A narrow majority said they would and so the old house was put up for sale and financial negotiations and surveys commissioned. These turned out to be hugely complex; far more involved than most members of the family would have expected. The costs were higher and the structural surveys less than positive.

Now it would be quite wrong to simply abandon the move. The family, however narrowly, had said they wanted to do it so the head of the family ploughed on in good faith. But when he got to the end of the process, when the surveys were done and the due diligence reports were in, when the dust had cleared and the picture was clear and most of the essential facts were to hand he thought to himself... "Now we know so much about what is involved, might it be sensible to ask everyone if, bearing in mind all the facts, they still want to do this?"

And that's what we're talking about. If the fully-informed family still want to do it, then no arguments. The move will happen. If the cold hard facts mean that they have changed their mind, then that's all right too. We stay where we are.

Good grief ... no matter how many times you try to polish that turd of an argument it still boils down to not accepting/ignoring the first result. It takes a very special type of arrogance to fracture the longstanding UK democratic tradition of enacting the will of the people after the necessary democratic criteria have been met. Also a piss poor analogy btw ... that family were told many times how difficult a move could be (see remain campaign)... they were also told they would almost certainly all be unemployed and homeless by now (see project fear) ... knowing all this they made their democratic choice. Also if the picture is now supposedly 'clear' and most 'essential' facts known can you please tell them what our future trading relationship with the EU will be after any transition period?

Jan 30, 2008
You mention me numerous times in your posts to others ... are you sure you aren't slightly obsessed/besotted?

It's a provable fact in the same way people who have repeatedly argued for a second referendum hoping to reverse the first result are undemocratic loons. Speaking of which...

Good grief ... no matter how many times you try to polish that turd of an argument it still boils down to not accepting/ignoring the first result. It takes a very special type of arrogance to fracture the longstanding UK democratic tradition of enacting the will of the people after the necessary democratic criteria have been met. Also a piss poor analogy btw ... that family were told many times how difficult a move could be (see remain campaign)... they were also told they would almost certainly all be unemployed and homeless by now (see project fear) ... knowing all this they made their democratic choice. Also if the picture is now supposedly 'clear' and most 'essential' facts known can you please tell them what our future trading relationship with the EU will be after any transition period?
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/226071
regards
DR

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Parliament has never enacted the will of the people. Government forms by the leading party and act on their manifesto.
The referendum was purely advisory, and it took going to court to make sure the legal act of parliament was passed, before Article 50 could be revoked. It was but only after a massive bribe to the DUP

The Electoral Commission has stated the democractic criteria hasn't been met, which is why the National Crime Agency is now investigating it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
but leavers were called racists:dunce:
regards
DR

No, only some leavers, the majority aren’t.

Co-incidentally the election slogan for UKIP 2015 election was Take Back Control of Our Country and the referendum was We Want Our Country Back.

The 1979 National Front slogan was It's Our Country Let's Win It Back

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Parliament has never enacted the will of the people. Government forms by the leading party and act on their manifesto.
The referendum was purely advisory, and it took going to court to make sure the legal act of parliament was passed, before Article 50 could be revoked. It was but only after a massive bribe to the DUP

The Electoral Commission has stated the democractic criteria hasn't been met, which is why the National Crime Agency is now investigating it.

hope you're never on a jury, getting basic facts wrong and condeming the accused before hearing evidence.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Facts as you see them or facts?

facts such as the time line of the Notification of Withdrawal bill and the 2017 election, and the massive majority the Commons voted (over 400 for).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
facts such as the time line of the Notification of Withdrawal bill and the 2017 election, and the massive majority the Commons voted (over 400 for).

That's just the voting for that particular bill. I was generalising over the whole kit and caboodle.

D

Deleted member 2719

This Brexit show, needs Robbie Savage on here telling Lucas what a disgrace she is to Brighton and her country.

Of course this is just my opinion like Bens.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That's just the voting for that particular bill. I was generalising over the whole kit and caboodle.

doesnt read like a generalising, it reads like a very specifc point on the status of the withdrawal, on which you are wrong on two basic points.

we'll see what happens with Banks, doesnt look good, but then the Electrol Commission havent covered themselves in glory either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you watched that programme on C4 just now, the interactive local authority map is here - https://www.survation.com/what-does-the-british-public-now-think-about-brexit/

In Sussex - Chichester, Horsham, Worthing, Adur, Brighton & Hove, Mid Sussex, Lewes, Eastbourne and Hastings are all polled as backing remain now. Only Arun, Wealden, Rother and Crawley are leave.

Survation did the poll with 20K people. 54% are now Remain 46% Leave

The UK has 66,000,000 people living in it. You only need 5,000 for a survey with a very strong confidence. Survation and C4 polled over 20,000.

What that means is you can hate the result of the survey all you like, but the methodology is definitely robust. #c4Brexit

One of the Brexit red lines is Freedom of Movement

[tweet]1059538156243034113[/tweet]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not that I like his politics, but did you see that thing by guido Fawkes on the local MP for kemp town who wants the Labour Party to put in its manifesto to take back sold off council houses into public ownership.

Fawkes, who is a more right wing version of Hitler has it in for Ernest's mates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here