Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Another excellent performance.

He certainly looks a bargain given the price Liverpool, Citeh and Chelsea have paid for a decent top flight keeper.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Didn't realise until hearing it on the radio but he is off on international duty in January :eek:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Didn't realise until hearing it on the radio but he is off on international duty in January :eek:

West Ham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Fulham, Watford. Going on the last few weeks, we'll need a decent replacement to keep that lot out.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Prediction: some posters on here will be calling Matty Ryan the best gk in the PL by the end of 2018.

More than 30 million. Some of the prices Premier league clubs have paid for goalkeepers recently is ridiculous. Ryan is without doubt one of the best in this league.

Blimey, somebody knows a good keeper when he sees one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you have 5 minutes, with a cup of tea, it really is a worth your while spending it reading this thread.

Some posters have got off very lightly, over Maty, esp when they're holding centre stage about other new signings.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you have 5 minutes, with a cup of tea, it really is a worth your while spending it reading this thread.

Some posters have got off very lightly, over Maty, esp when they're holding centre stage about other new signings.

Just scanned the thread from the start. Not going to bounce the ‘he’s shit’ quotes, because there are too many of them. Tide starts to turn around #350, and by #500 we’ve got the best keeper ever. Lots of those who posted in the first 350 are nowhere to be seen, obviously. Presumably choked on their humble pie [emoji23][emoji23]

Absolute object lesson in giving a new signing a bit of time. Mistakes in his first three games (a friendly, the runaway champions, and the former champions) and barely a slip since.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just scanned the thread from the start. Not going to bounce the ‘he’s shit’ quotes, because there are too many of them. Tide starts to turn around #350, and by #500 we’ve got the best keeper ever. Lots of those who posted in the first 350 are nowhere to be seen, obviously. Presumably choked on their humble pie [emoji23][emoji23]

Absolute object lesson in giving a new signing a bit of time. Mistakes in his first three games (a friendly, the runaway champions, and the former champions) and barely a slip since.

I'd forgotten, until someone mentioned it a little while ago, Ryan actually played really well against Athletico.

The other reason the thread is worth a read is things like his double save at Old Trafford, I enjoyed watching that again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agreed. Other than Locadia, obvs. Utter shithouse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maty should have held onto this one:-

[tweet]1060655205690286086[/tweet]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I watched all his Confederations Cup games and on balance wasn't impressed. Distribution was rushed, seemed keen to come out rashly, bad tendency to parry when he could catch.
I saw the 2nd half of Atletico on a stream and seem to remember he did quite well there.
At the Man City game - one great save, probably should have held Dunk's mess up, distribution not great. By no means a bad performance.
Watched a stream today and I think he could have done better for both goals. A bit of a worry that he can't seem to hold onto shots and didn't command his box too well.

Having said all that I was distinctly unimpressed by Stockdale for a good portion of that 1st season. By the time he left I loved him and was sad to see him go.

In summary, we have to give Ryan time. It's early days in the deep end in a team that has a lot of gelling to do and are on a very steep learning curve. None of the new signings have looked good so far. Let's give them all a chance and not get on their backs. They need us to get behind them more than ever now.

Sensible post by #61 alert!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here