Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Most of us are in favour of organ donation right?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The news story was about a penis transplant, hence "organ" donation. That's the humour. The female poster was basically asking would you mind someone else having your dick after you die.

If she would be happy to 'receive' an unknown penis then who am I to argue?!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Under any system you're more than welcome to opt out. Me, I'm on the waiting list for a kidney that will save my life, so forgive me if I am in favour of organ donations.

I am aware of your situation Richard, and had a feeling you may comment on this & I fully understand.

I absolutely hate the thought of me being cut up, and not being buried whole so to speak. I want to be buried next to my gran & granddad whole in the family plot.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am aware of your situation Richard, and had a feeling you may comment on this & I fully understand.

I absolutely hate the thought of me being cut up, and not being buried whole so to speak. I want to be buried next to my gran & granddad whole in the family plot.

I respect your personal wishes, but don't you think they are best served by an opt out?

At present, even if you haven't opted in, in the event of your death should a transplant be possible, your closest next of kin would be asked whether they give their permission for your organs to be donated. Now of course you can rely on them to know your wishes, but an opt out is a definitive decision on what you wanted with no room for doubt in that regard.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I didn't take is personally as I know you wouldn't want anything bad for me. If your family are aware of your wishes and you've opted out, then you will get exactly what you want. Me, I hate the thought of being buried, (I'm a bit claustrophobic), I'd far rather the thought of part of me living on somewhere helping someone.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
No i think it should remain opt in., im in favour of donation but there have bee cases where doctors wanted the organs , were very keen to withdraw life support and the person has recovered.

In order to meet the criteria for organ donation, brain stem death must be diagnosed. There are several safeguards in place to ensure brain stem death is established. This takes time and the input of several senior doctors, nurses, and the regional transplant co-ordination team.

Situations where ‘doctors want organs’ and will harvest said organs from patients with life potential simply do not exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
This is another worry of mine with the new system. For the most part they will act in the best interests of the patient but I can see room for errors to occur. Will they always wait for relatives to arrive to say goodbye when time is of the essence.

There is no room for error when diagnosing brain stem death. See my response to [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION]. Trust in the registered, compassionate, regulated, health care professionals tasked with getting it right for all concerned, not least the unfortunate soul in the bed.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
There is no room for error when diagnosing brain stem death. See my response to [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION]. Trust in the registered, compassionate, regulated, health care professionals tasked with getting it right for all concerned, not least the unfortunate soul in the bed.

I was meaning at some point in the future, thoughts will evolve. Dr's may feel pressured into taking organs before someone dies naturally and relatives might not get to the hospital in time. I know this would not be the case in the near future. Relatives must always be present before a life support machine can be switched off.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I signed up years ago, why it's an issue I don't know.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So in a 'opt out' system, what safeguards will be in place for those without mental capacity? Very easy to remove all children from an opt out system, just determine the cut off age, but a whole can of worms when it comes to mental capacity.

I'm vehemently opposed to an opt out system. It seems to me to be the very worst of state control in our lives to give the state ownership of our bodies unless we sign to say, No. It is a very dangerous move to take to address the current organ shortage. We should concentrate our efforts on mobilising the huge numbers of people who claim to support organ donation but who are not currently on the register. Also, relatives should not have the right to deny the final wishes of relatives that are on the register.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was meaning at some point in the future, thoughts will evolve. Dr's may feel pressured into taking organs before someone dies naturally and relatives might not get to the hospital in time. I know this would not be the case in the near future. Relatives must always be present before a life support machine can be switched off.

I think in most cases they do wait until the patient is dead before taking the organs. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So in a 'opt out' system, what safeguards will be in place for those without mental capacity? Very easy to remove all children from an opt out system, just determine the cut off age, but a whole can of worms when it comes to mental capacity.

I'm vehemently opposed to an opt out system. It seems to me to be the very worst of state control in our lives to give the state ownership of our bodies unless we sign to say, No. It is a very dangerous move to take to address the current organ shortage. We should concentrate our efforts on mobilising the huge numbers of people who claim to support organ donation but who are not currently on the register. Also, relatives should not have the right to deny the final wishes of relatives that are on the register.

So you're quite happy to take the 'state control' when treating you in a medical emergency, giving you blood, plasma, maybe even a transplant to save your life, or whatever else is needed to keep you alive, but they're not allowed to take your organs after your death to save someone else?

Maybe opting out should also include opting out of receiving blood or donated organs yourselves?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Your right it does need to be easier to opt in. I would prefer that. It makes no difference to me as I am exempt anyway. I would willing gift my organs but not sure I like the idea of them being willing available. I also wouldn't want to receive an organ unless I knew the donor was gifting it.

The real point of this thread was humour though.

Do men like the idea of getting some action after they have departed this world or is that too much to contemplate?

is a penis an organ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here