Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for those who want Sami to Stay...

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
How do we know he is shite? He's only played 10 minutes against Burton, if I remember correctly. He is a waste of money though, I agree, if he is not going to play.

Not just him thats sh*te. I think you could add a few more from our signings since Poyet left.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I am sure that you could. Please do not forget the shite that Poyet signed as well.

Yes he did sign some bad ones, Dobbie and Harley come to mind, but he had a much higher success rate than the signings since he left. Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes, Noone and Ulloa all signed during his reign and have brought a large amount of money to the club in transfer fees. Who has been brought to the club since he left, that could go anywhere near raising that sort of money. I do mean signings since Poyet left, when Burke really took control.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Signed when Oscar was at the club. And his contract had expired at Grasshoppers, so who did we pay the 2m to?
Why the hell would you want to introduce the truth to a perfectly good piss poor rumour.

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
126f6eb32f4c1bbc7d03edfb63325866.jpg

Doing this will not keep us up. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
This team is not Sami's team, I think he will keep us up and then I will judge next season.

Ex-bloody-actly , we need to get a striker in this season and then allow him to rebuild the side :)

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
I want him to stay because:

1. With tactical decisions like bringing o'grady on in the 89th and taking ball bulldock off.

2. For not playing Colenga after Bournemouth to keep his confidence at bay.

3. For playing kll down the middle.

4. For playing long ball game to a lone 5"7 striker.

4a He has won 4 league games out of the last 30 as a manager!

5. For being so upbeat and positive in his post match interviews.

I could go on and on but I think everyone will now believe he should stay forever!!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because Hyppia, like any other manager / coach who would have been appointed last Summer, has been handed an incredibly poor squad moulded by Burke over several transfer windows. Have a glance at the squad we had say at April 2013 compared to now. It's been altered beyond all recognition. It's partly explainable by FFP and TB's dogged pursuit of that, but the glaring inadequacies in the current squad go way beyond that.

Since 2011 the Albion have statistically struggled to score. Then take away Ulloa, Buckley, Vivente, Barnes, Lopez and Orlandi, replace them with what we have now, and hey presto, you have a squad whose forwards cannot score in Championship games. Add a lack of pace, power, a midfield boss, creativity, and goalie blunders.

Even a Eddie Howe or Steve McLaren would struggle, if given just a few months and with scouting/transfers in and out in the hands of Burke.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
[/QUOTE]It's a fair question though. You've asked everyone else that supports keeping Sami to give their reasons why but haven't done so yourself.[/QUOTE]

Okay for you and [MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION]:

I must stress I have gone into this elsewhere chaps, but for the record herein:

I don't agree with changing manager ad nauseum, whether by choice or otherwise. It doesn't work, it never has and it never will. It's a short sighted quick fix that 9 times out of ten ends in abject failure. We desperately need stability. In addition I don't feel Sami has had a fair crack of the whip, his best players gone (asset stripped), some superb players injured, loan players galore akin to Adams the second time around.

A few weeks back I was concerned regarding Sami and his seeming tactical stubbornness, it would appear he's trying hard to find a pattern of play and shape that works both for him and his players - this is always something that takes time.

Again I don't want to get dragged into a debate re FFP, recruitment and budgets etc. BUT... It's clear that the recruitment policy is failing the club and recent managers, it needs reviewing and perfecting to help move the club back to where it should be competing.

Lastly I liked Sami as a player, respect him as a seemingly honest and perfectly affable person, and I like his intent re an attacking ethos. Corners too - how many goals have we scored this season from corners? For years under Gus in particular we couldn't even beat the first man! Some small chinks of light perhaps, but from there a new day could yet dawn.

Kosh

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree. He signed when we still had Ulloa & Buckley who were then sold from under him. Did he ask for any of the signings that we got apart from, possibly Teixeira?

Do you know for a fact that at the time of his appointment he wasn't made aware of the fact that other clubs were interested in them. Furthermore, what manager comes into a new job and isn't aware that his best players may well be bought by other clubs. It is a fact of life.

I keep reading all this guff about the players 'not being Sami's team' and just think what utter garbage that comment is! One group of players is much like any other group whether the manager has chosen them or not, there aren't players with special abilities that can only be unlocked by Sami Hyppia. A professional football manager should be able to work with what he has got and get the best out of his group of players, Sami clearly is not doing that or even if you disagree with that it is difficult to argue that at the very least he is most certainly struggling with managing our club. Ive gone from being firmly behind Hyppia to being on the fence to being convinced he needs to go! Now however i've reached the point where i really dont give a toss either way since I dont think it will make any difference changing him or keeping him, our season is effectively over and we will do well to avoid relegation, whether Hyppia is here at the end of the season or not I dont care as long as we stay up.

That will not happen, he said in his after match interview he had no say in the choices made that is was not up to him

Is that what he said or did he say that the decision to get a striker was not up to him. There is a difference.

History..... Alex Ferguson, more recently Sam Allardice, and Pardew. :rolleyes:

The counter argument is Holloway being replaced by Pullis!!! There are two sides two sides to the same coin.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cos he's only just got here.
We're not being dicked week in week out.
There have been moments that have excited even NSC.
He has clearly been under funded.
Slightly better players, a la EB, will make a huge difference.
It'll cost, and who's to say the next man will fair any better, in the current set up.
We can all see the problem areas, we'll see who January brings.
I'd love to be on the right side of history, for a change.
Sami tactics aren't as one dimensional as NSC would have you believe.
He's been let down by key players at key moments.

Thanks for this, my thoughts too. I'd just add he had no pre-season to work with and throw Stephens back in the middle when fit.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Regardless of who bought the players, they are the ones we have and they are not going to be any different if we change the manager.
The players we have do seem to want to play for him and have said that they are enjoying the system.
Hyppia and Jones (regardless of the bizarre dislike of him on NSC) are both young coaches who, from what I have read, are seen as many in the game as having potential and I would like to trust that they have the capacity to learn and improve. I would like our club to be one that supports and develops rather than abandons its principles in the face of pressure.
Performances haven't been awful, they have generally been close to effective, but not close enough.
Since becoming chairman Tony Bloom has shown himself capable of making the right decisions for this football club. I'd trust his judgement of his staff over mine.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Because Bloom decided he was the best available in July or whenever it was and I can't see how the field will have widened.

Back his judgement and stick with the man. It's not his fault that we sold the best players and bought shit. 15 games is not long enough to judge any manager. One season minimum.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm just going to add a quick addendum.

I am and always have been Team Fence, or as in the recent poll Team Meh.

If Sami got booted today, I'd still stand by what I wrote earlier, but I'll not be shedding a tear or harking back to the Good Old Days with Sami like some still, unbelievably, do with Gus.

I'm 100% behind Sami solely because of the knee-JERK reactionary nature of NSC.

The whole 'Sami out, get an English manager in' campaign the moment we dare to not win, is pathetic.

That's even before we reached the ludicrous point of 'fans' wishing and hoping we'd lose.
Coming on the back of 'fans', (for all I know the same ones) moaning about us winning all the time, last season.

Sami is one cog in what is now a big machine.
He's backed by the owner.
He's only been here for 17 games.
He deserves better support than what he's getting, from all quarters.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
It'll cost, and who's to say the next man will fair any better, in the current set up.
It's not the fact we are lower in the league or even losing. It is because he simply has no idea how to manage his team and get the best out of what he has!
You can at least play your team to it's strengths!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It's not the fact we are lower in the league or even losing. It is because he simply has no idea how to manage his team and get the best out of what he has!
You can at least play your team to it's strengths!
Or at least the team can play to the gaffers tactics.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. Hyppia may well turn out to be a failure, but jeez, talk about panic. Although I do love the touching belief on here that if we sack him we will OF COURSE get someone better. The new guy will sign some brilliant players during the transfer window and we'll be up in the play-offs in no time. I wonder if those people have also written their letters to Santa?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here