Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR set to be used in Premier League next season

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
It worked pretty well at the WC. Maybe one poor decision from it, but it corrected several. And that was the first time it had been used anywhere of note, and there will be teething issues. It's the way forward and should improve the game.

It also caused a riot
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46041706

Not saying that it won't correct a lot of obvious bad errors, but football as a sport isn't linear enough for massive moments (penalties in particular).
Where I think it could be better is to mimic the cricket way of doing things. Referee on the field gives a "soft" signal by saying he thinks it's a penalty, can I have any reason not to award one. At the moment, you are just relying on a few people's opinions.

How do you think VAR would have adjudged Zaha's efforts at winning a penalty the other week against Arsenal? In my opinion, there would still be an argument either way, as was played out on here and on social media.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How do you think VAR would have adjudged Zaha's efforts at winning a penalty the other week against Arsenal? In my opinion, there would still be an argument either way, as was played out on here and on social media.
Personally I think he launched himself from one foot, and the minimal contact didn't cause a foul, so no penalty. But that doesn't matter, if it's a decision that's difficult to call, it doesn't really matter which way the decision goes - with or without VAR it's never going to be possible to make all decisions such that everyone agrees with them all. What we can get, however, is fewer howlers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

VAR is only supposed to get involved when there has been "a clear and obvious error" made. In the instance of the Zaha dive, whether he had awarded the penalty or not, it would not really have been a "clear error" either way because it was a marginal call (as we all know from all the subsequent debate). So in theory, if its being used properly, VAR should NOT get involved in such marginal decisions. Its also worth mentioning that it is not the remit of the referee to call for a VAR review when he's not sure. He should referee the game as normal, make his calls as normal, but ONLY be notified by the VAR if, in the opinion of the VAR referee, a "clear error" had been made with one of the decisions. The ref should not be asking for a review.

Zaha won his penalty in that instance. Only if the VAR felt the ref had made a mistake in awarding it should he get in the refs ear for a review.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely this. The game should be played as if without VAR unless the ref gets a whisper in his ear from the video refs.

Thats exactly how it IS supposed to be used. The on-field decision stands, unless the VAR believes a clear and obvious mistake has been made. Then and only then are they supposed to get involved.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thats exactly how it IS supposed to be used. The on-field decision stands, unless the VAR believes a clear and obvious mistake has been made. Then and only then are they supposed to get involved.
This will need to be drummed into referees then, in words of one syllable ....................... several times in some cases!

I still want mandatory yellow cards every time for players who run around making that TV screen gesture too - it will take some drumming into them too, and it will probably need a few matches ending 9 or 8 a side before they get the message!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's done well at the rugby. It's shown on the screens and becomes a whole new theatre as you watch the incidents from angle after angle and hear the crowd react each time. In a game of 'phases' like rugby, it works really well in my opinion.

And at cricket.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In order for VAR to work efficiently I think that the ultimate and final decision with no further redress should rest with VAR and the decision reached within seconds rather than minutes. How this is achieved is up to the powers that be to sort out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still needs improving but by and large worked well in the World Cup. Will be the odd shambles but will be for the best long term, imo.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Personally I think he launched himself from one foot, and the minimal contact didn't cause a foul, so no penalty. But that doesn't matter, if it's a decision that's difficult to call, it doesn't really matter which way the decision goes - with or without VAR it's never going to be possible to make all decisions such that everyone agrees with them all. What we can get, however, is fewer howlers.

Exactly. The argument of "VAR won't solve EVERYTHING, let's not bother" is monumentally stupid. If it improves the game by 5%, it's worth it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This will need to be drummed into referees then, in words of one syllable ....................... several times in some cases!

I still want mandatory yellow cards every time for players who run around making that TV screen gesture too - it will take some drumming into them too, and it will probably need a few matches ending 9 or 8 a side before they get the message!

Trouble is, I can see referees being tempted to ask for a review when they're not sure of a call, especially a big one. Thats not supposed to be how it works, but if he's not sure of the call, its human nature to seek help so as to try to avoid dropping a bollock. I bet its already happening with VARS, we just don't know about it.

It happens already in cricket, where umpires have to make a call on a run-out. I've seen occasions where the batsman is clearly a long way short, and the decision could/should easily be made without the need for a replay, but the umpire calls for one anyway just to be sure. It doesn't matter so much in cricket as its not a flowing game, reviews fit in more naturally there. But in football, it would be a pain in the arse.

VARS will be good for ironing out the occasional obvious howler. But if it starts being used for highly marginal calls, like that Fulham disallowed goal last week...hmmm.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In order for VAR to work efficiently I think that the ultimate and final decision with no further redress should rest with VAR and the decision reached within seconds rather than minutes. How this is achieved is up to the powers that be to sort out.

Thus instantly removing the referee's authority, and handing it to a bloke near Heathrow. Oh, and it has to be a rushed decision too. ???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
VARS will be good for ironing out the occasional obvious howler. But if it starts being used for highly marginal calls, like that Fulham disallowed goal last week...hmmm.

I agree with your view, but using a 'marginal' offside as your example, is a very poor one.

There are no grey areas in a line* decision. The player is beyond the last defender, or he isn't. Mitrovic being 6 inches past the defender's trailing foot, is in the context of that rule, the same as him being 20 yards past him. VAR would have upheld that decision (or overturned it, had the lino called it wrong).

The could still be grey areas in OTHER aspects of an offside call - did a defender get a deliberate touch on the ball, etc, but not on the actual LINE call.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trouble is, I can see referees being tempted to ask for a review when they're not sure of a call, especially a big one. Thats not supposed to be how it works, but if he's not sure of the call, its human nature to seek help so as to try to avoid dropping a bollock. I bet its already happening with VARS, we just don't know about it.

That's my concern too - and I'm pretty certain we have seen it already. Only thing to do, I suppose, is to make it a rule that the VAR ref cannot give a decision if one is requested - the referees decision will stand, so no point in the ref asking for help. Maybe make it that ref to VAR ref contact can only be switched on by the VAR ref when he/she feels they need to intervene.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Don't like it.

Don't want it.

It's a game. The primary objective is absoultely not to get every decision right.It's to make the game as enjoyable as possible for the ony people that should matter 9and in the long run the only peiople who do matter). The fans.

Contentious decisions are half the fun. They don't actually matter because it's a game. And, over a season, they will even out. No team ever got relegated/promoted on the basis of one decision. Even if it feels like it at the time.

I think it is inevitable that, once available, Refs will take the safe option of referring to it whenever there is any doubt. So it will get used far more than it should and will break up the game. Especially it will ruin that moment of goal celebration. Keeping that moment sacred is more important in my view than any number of incorrect decisions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with your view, but using a 'marginal' offside as your example, is a very poor one.

There are no grey areas in a line* decision. The player is beyond the last defender, or he isn't. Mitrovic being 6 inches past the defender's trailing foot, is in the context of that rule, the same as him being 20 yards past him. VAR would have upheld that decision (or overturned it, had the lino called it wrong).

The could still be grey areas in OTHER aspects of an offside call - did a defender get a deliberate touch on the ball, etc, but not on the actual LINE call.

Well I was still undecided on that Fulham call, even after seeing the replays, it was THAT tight. Someone down the bottom of the screen looked like he might well have been playing him on. You could literally advance or rewind the frame a split second when the ball was played and it was a close one. Interference could also muddy a VARS review. This type of marginal call, the debatable stuff, is where the problems are going to be, if indeed its not just being used to correct a clear and obvious mistake.

This is the thin end of a bloody great wedge we're at now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's my concern too - and I'm pretty certain we have seen it already. Only thing to do, I suppose, is to make it a rule that the VAR ref cannot give a decision if one is requested - the referees decision will stand, so no point in the ref asking for help. Maybe make it that ref to VAR ref contact can only be switched on by the VAR ref when he/she feels they need to intervene.

Thats not a bad shout. It doesn't become a 2-way communication until or unless the VAR initiates it, if he thinks the ref has cocked up. The ref has no way of contacting the VAR to ask for help on a call.

Like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here