Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR set to be used in Premier League next season

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
On the whole it wasn't quite as obtrusive in the World Cup as I anticipated, and yes it will will right SOME wrongs. But you're still just swapping one set of controversies for a bunch of new ones, and introducing a whole raft of new delays and pauses to accommodate it. There are inevitably still going to be some right old f-ups, and the sense of injustice will only be intensified because the officials have had an opportunity to review it and STILL get it 'wrong'. Nobody always agrees on everything.

Its great to sort out obvious errors. Its the myriad of marginal calls where the all the minefields lay ahead.
I thought that in general it worked really well in the World Cup, and I was firmly in the "this is going to ruin the tournament" camp beforehand.

I'm totally in favour now, despite the fact that there will still be teething problems for years to come.

Partly because I think it's obvious that it DOES mean fewer terrible decisions, but mainly because it will mean that Zaha is FINISHED. [emoji23]

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I guess I'm in favour but that instantaneous celebration of a goal - surely still the ultimate high as a fan - will never be quite the same again as there will always now be the proviso that 30 seconds later someone will find a reason to disallow it. At the moment it's a quick glance at the ref and the lino and you have permission to go loopy. But I guess it has to happen and if a last minute Palace winner at the Amex is disallowed by VAR then it will all be worth it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I thought that in general it worked really well in the World Cup, and I was firmly in the "this is going to ruin the tournament" camp beforehand.

I'm totally in favour now, despite the fact that there will still be teething problems for years to come.

Partly because I think it's obvious that it DOES mean fewer terrible decisions, but mainly because it will mean that Zaha is FINISHED. [emoji23]

Ooh, now you've done it. The GOONSQUAD will be out in force defending the swivel-eyed gravity whore to the hilt, asking for evidence that he dives, then arguing that black is white when its presented to them. :rolleyes:

The thing I'm going to hate is when we're celebrating a goal but then see that there's a VAR review, so it all gets put on hold. I appreciated we might be on the right side of that when we've conceded, but you lose all the spontanaeity. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of meself, we might not even be involved next season.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's done well at the rugby. It's shown on the screens and becomes a whole new theatre as you watch the incidents from angle after angle and hear the crowd react each time. In a game of 'phases' like rugby, it works really well in my opinion.

Not sure about that, I went to my first game on Sunday and I spent a lot of time looking at my watch. Admittedly it was a turgid display from England.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
When I saw VAR in operation at the World Cup, each game was being monitored by about half a dozen VAR officials (all hilariously and quite needlessly dressed in full refereeing kit, for some reason...?). So does this mean that on a normal Premier League Saturday, with about six 3pm kick-offs, there will be 36 VAR officials dressed up as referees in a windowless bunker somewhere outside Heathrow?

It's hard enough to find competent officials to ref and run the line for the actual games. Where are they going to find all these extra officials from?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When I saw VAR in operation at the World Cup, each game was being monitored by about half a dozen VAR officials (all hilariously and quite needlessly dressed in full refereeing kit, for some reason...?). So does this mean that on a normal Premier League Saturday, with about six 3pm kick-offs, there will be 36 VAR officials dressed up as referees in a windowless bunker somewhere outside Heathrow?

It's hard enough to find competent officials to ref and run the line for the actual games. Where are they going to find all these extra officials from?

Impartial fans. NSC could officiate all Palace games for example.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As much as I was against it initially there seems to have been so many more high profile obvious errors this season than in the past so I feel its now needed.

Are you talking about VAR or Brexit???

I agree. And hopefully there will be time enough to train the self-regarding pompous referee element (i.e., nearly all of them) to operate it as it is intended and not piss about having long chats over the walkie talkie like some of the clowns did during the beta testing. FFS.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had it been used this season we would have got a point at Cardiff

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thin end of the wedge for lower league and grass roots football. We either all play to the same rues or we don't.

Still, I suppose if schools and councils are eventually required to install VAR on all their pitches, and clubs will have to meet the costs, plus paying for six refs, not just one, then they can all go out of business and we can build much needed housing on all the pitches.
The top clubs can just buy in players from abroad, so all will be wonderful on planet PL football, eh?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I thought it worked well at the world cup. The only problem is who's is control. The VAR controller should make the call, IMO, rather than the ref. Let VAR talk to ref and tell him to pull back for a mistake rather than make ref have to call in VAR. Otherwise a mistake by ref can only be corrected if the ref knows he made a mistake. Just using on "I'm not sure" occasions won't resolve a lot of the issues we see.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Goodbye spontaneous celebration and welcome to even less flow in a game. Sign of the times and our insatiable appetite for non stop replays and pouring over endless decisions to find some perceived injustice. Players make costly mistakes referees do the same (hey we are all human) but for some reason we all choose to collectively vilify the latter.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Goodbye spontaneous celebration and welcome to even less flow in a game. Sign of the times and our insatiable appetite for non stop replays and pouring over endless decisions to find some perceived injustice. Players make costly mistakes referees do the same (hey we are all human) but for some reason we all choose to collectively vilify the latter.

Agreed, and this step is just the thin end of the wedge, in the future VAR breaks (IMO) will be leveraged to facilitate additional advertising content (in stadiums and on TV) and therefore revenue, much like breaks do in American Sports.

In due course,p I expect managers will be allowed (say) 2/3 appeals, then VAR will become like time outs, and can be used by teams strategically, (facilitate more advertising and associated revenue) like they do in American Sports.

I hope I’m wrong but the stench of capitalism is strong on this one, wrapped up of course in a narrative of establishing “fairness” in the game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought it worked well at the world cup. The only problem is who's is control. The VAR controller should make the call, IMO, rather than the ref. Let VAR talk to ref and tell him to pull back for a mistake rather than make ref have to call in VAR. Otherwise a mistake by ref can only be corrected if the ref knows he made a mistake. Just using on "I'm not sure" occasions won't resolve a lot of the issues we see.

Absolutely this. The game should be played as if without VAR unless the ref gets a whisper in his ear from the video refs. And it should be added to the laws of the game that any player making that TV screen gesture with his fingers should automatically get a mandatory yellow. Every time they do it (with retrospective yellows if the ref 'Sol Bambas' it).

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004

That's interesting I thought for 70% of the time in the World Cup it was laughable, as evidenced by 5 pundits still disagreeing about the decisions it was have supposed to supported/corrected post match.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Too many grey areas in football for it to work properly. The only area it would work is offside - a binary decision - and even then there is the grey area of "interfering with play"
It worked pretty well at the WC. Maybe one poor decision from it, but it corrected several. And that was the first time it had been used anywhere of note, and there will be teething issues. It's the way forward and should improve the game.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

My friend supports a Serie A club and says it hasn’t had that effect really, people still go bananas when they score.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My friend supports a Serie A club and says it hasn’t had that effect really, people still go bananas when they score.

Your friend will also tell you clubs have spent all season arguing over whether it has been used too little or too much questioning the inconsistency of use in similar situations, sometimes unable to have the footage ready in time for a decision and also one example when the decision to pull the game back came 2 min later when the opposing team had a corner. All will be brushed under the carpet as teething problems.

It’s coming so we are all going to have to get on with it but this will not solve existing problems it will just bring a whole pile of new ones

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here