Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Clocks going back

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Thank god we are playing on Saturday and not Sunday this weekend otherwise we would have half the crowd arriving just as half were heading home

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
As someone who work's outside it would mean I would be driving to work at 8.15 rather than 7.15 adding to rush hour congestion.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Really dont understand why people are suggesting not using it?? Is it really that much hassle to change your clock? Your phones and computers take care of themselves... Means we have more daylight during the day and save energy so why on earth would people not want to do that, I've never heard anyone complain about it ever and most people on this thread seem to want to get rid? People in tenerife saying theyre not doing it anymore? Is this just a decision of a few people or has the whole island of tenerife stated this as those few people will not be on time for anything otherwise?

There is however an impact on road safety, as the serious and fatal pedestrian incidents increase by 10% in the four weeks after the clocks go back. It would therefore be better if we moved to Single/Double British Summertime, so in the winter the clocks are GMT +1 and in the Simmer GMT +2

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
There is however an impact on road safety, as the serious and fatal pedestrian incidents increase by 10% in the four weeks after the clocks go back. It would therefore be better if we moved to Single/Double British Summertime, so in the winter the clocks are GMT +1 and in the Simmer GMT +2

Really? I don't understand how accidents go up when we are changing our day to get the optimum amount of sunlight from it, and therefore the optimum amount of 'driving visibility' if you will?? I'm not doubting you, I have just never heard this before it seems strange to me.

GMT+1 in the winter and +2 in the summer would still require changing your clocks back in winter by an hour and forward again in summer so what difference would it make?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

making it dark in the north and Scotland until about 10am in the morning during winter, increasing accidents in the morning.

Really? I don't understand how accidents go up when we are changing our day to get the optimum amount of sunlight from it, and therefore the optimum amount of 'driving visibility' if you will?? I'm not doubting you, I have just never heard this before it seems strange to me.

GMT+1 in the winter and +2 in the summer would still require changing your clocks back in winter by an hour and forward again in summer so what difference would it make?

evening will get darker earlier, so we shift an hour light in the evening to an hour in the morning. it is reckoned there are more accidents in the evening on account of people being more tired. its an odd stat as it implies when its even darker more than a month later, accidents are lower or dont change. which comes onto good point about GMT+2, as it will still be dark pretty early in December/January.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Going to Single/Double British Summertime is estimated that it would prevent 80 deaths and 200 serious injuries on the UK roads per year.
It would also have other benefits from reduced demand from electricity (as longer evenings) and improved health as people would be more active in the evenings

In terms of getting dark, today it gets dark about 6.30 but on Double Summertime it would be getting dark at 7.30 and on Sunday rather than getting dark at 5.30 it would be 6.30 so the length of time that the rush hour coincides with darkness is less over the year. More light means that drivers are more able to spot pedestrians, cyclists, road signs. also drivers tend to fell less tired in daylight than nighttime.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
#Clocksit

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Going to Single/Double British Summertime is estimated that it would prevent 80 deaths and 200 serious injuries on the UK roads per year.
It would also have other benefits from reduced demand from electricity (as longer evenings) and improved health as people would be more active in the evenings

In terms of getting dark, today it gets dark about 6.30 but on Double Summertime it would be getting dark at 7.30 and on Sunday rather than getting dark at 5.30 it would be 6.30 so the length of time that the rush hour coincides with darkness is less over the year. More light means that drivers are more able to spot pedestrians, cyclists, road signs. also drivers tend to fell less tired in daylight than nighttime.

Fair enough, its an interesting stat.

It's all based on Greenwich Mean Time. Basically we OWN time.
I've always thought it odd that the day ends when lots of people are still up and about. Why weren't the globe's meridians so numbered so that they are,say, 3-4 hours behind what they are now? This wouldn't affect the light levels at which activities take place because 9-5 would become 5-1and so we'd be going to bed between 6 and 8 rather than 10 and 12. Mind you, it's not as odd as somebody deciding there should be two 12 hour scales per day instead of a logical one (of 24 hours)!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I've always thought it odd that the day ends when lots of people are still up and about. Why weren't the globe's meridians so numbered so that they are,say, 3-4 hours behind what they are now? This wouldn't affect the light levels at which activities take place because 9-5 would become 5-1and so we'd be going to bed between 6 and 8 rather than 10 and 12. Mind you, it's not as odd as somebody deciding there should be two 12 hour scales per day instead of a logical one (of 24 hours)!

It was the invention of the electric light that screwed up people's alignment with 'natural' time. We used to go to bed when it got too dark to do anything, we got up when it was starting to get light because that was the window of opportunity we had. We only now stay up until 10-12 because electricity allows us to do more than candlelight could.

With you on the 24 hour clock though. Don't the Navy still use a 24 hour clock (ie a clock with hands but the hour hand only goes round once every 24-hr rather than twice) or have I imagined that?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
At least the clock in my car (which I don't know how to adjust) will be correct again, for another 6 months.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It was the invention of the electric light that screwed up people's alignment with 'natural' time. We used to go to bed when it got too dark to do anything, we got up when it was starting to get light because that was the window of opportunity we had. We only now stay up until 10-12 because electricity allows us to do more than candlelight could.

With you on the 24 hour clock though. Don't the Navy still use a 24 hour clock (ie a clock with hands but the hour hand only goes round once every 24-hr rather than twice) or have I imagined that?

pretty much anyone who wants to avoid ambiguous time uses 24 hours. only the legacy of the analogue clock that 12 hour am/pm persists, but that remains widespread on wall clocks, and wrists across the world.

the other thing that altered our alignment with time is commuting. when i looked into this once, there was little evidence for why we start the working day at 9am, it just was and became the convention. farmers and builders dont though, follow daylight more.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
pretty much anyone who wants to avoid ambiguous time uses 24 hours. only the legacy of the analogue clock that 12 hour am/pm persists, but that remains widespread on wall clocks, and wrists across the world.

the other thing that altered our alignment with time is commuting. when i looked into this once, there was little evidence for why we start the working day at 9am, it just was and became the convention. farmers and builders dont though, follow daylight more.

You’d be lucky to get most builders out of the cafe before 9. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here